Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brexit happened due to Putin. Boris, I have my head so far up Putins ass when he farts my ears pop, Johnson was bought and paid for by russian money. It is undeniably clear that Putin just wants to destroy democracy and western values. You are also the only poster showing up here apologizing for Putin and the Russian invasion.

Russia has been bankrolling extremists on all sides in order to sow chaos in the west but in the US particularly. It’s part of the plan laid out by Dugin decades ago.

The Ukrainians took out an entire artillery battery on Sunday with counter battery fire. That is a more effective way to neutralize artillery. The battery was towed artillery which is very difficult to shoot and scoot.

The Prypet Marshes where the Russians are is wooded. When not firing the mobile artillery is back under the trees which makes them difficult to locate by air. The supply situation for much of the artillery must be getting pretty low at this point. The fact the Russians exposed an entire gun battery to counter battery fire like they did probably indicates the supply of missiles is running low.

Experts have been trying to gauge how many missiles for the missile artillery the Russians had at the beginning of the war. The low end was about 500, but the Russians have fired about 700. It could be as high as 1000, but probably not much more than that. The units to the NW of Kyiv have been cut off from supply for a week now. They are probably in bad shape.

I know it doesn't look like it, but ultimately time is on the Ukrainian's side.

I've heard that when the Russians were blocked from things like Facebook, the number of nationalist trolls on Facebook dropped significantly. It's an indication how much of the trolling was done by fake accounts.

In the UK the Russians drown Brexit to weaken the UK and in the US they worked hard to drive a wedge between the two parties and to get people talking about ridiculous and sometimes impossible things like they were real. Right up to the second or third day f the invasion American politicians who were trying to curry favor with the people who were sopping this stuff up were singing the praises of Putin. All but a few have gone very quiet about Putin since.

There isn't much talk about American politics right now, the focus is international, but a recent poll found 71% of Americans thought Russia was a serious or extreme threat and 41% thought it was extreme. I'm sure at least some of those people were buying that Putin was a great guy two weeks ago.
......o......

The author also talked about something nobody has talked about and I hadn't really thought about either. The Russians are propping up Asaad in Syria with their troop presence. The author's opinion was Asaad will collapse very shortly if Russia pulls out. They are going to have to. The author said the only way they can supply those troops is via air since Turkey closed the Straits of Bosporus to the Russians. That's taking transport planes away from the war in Ukraine, tying down experienced Russian troops, and is taking supplies that could be going into Ukraine.

After this war the back of the Russian military is going to be broken. That's going to be an existential nightmare for Russians who are convinced the world is out to get them (more the older generations than the young), but having little military for a while they will begin to realize that the world doesn't want to conquer Russia. The world order after WW II is that borders are fixed (unless a country breaks up into multiple countries) and the world considers that sacrosanct. Conquering another country, is considered a very bad thing by just about everyone and the world will probably be even more hyper about that after this war.

That actually plays into territorial safety for Russians if they wake up to the fact that's really how the world works.

- The Russian artillery battery that was wiped out is/was down in the south by Mykolaiv, NW of Khersom, not up in the north. There is no positive confirmation that it was hit by Ukrainian counterbattery fire. More likely in my personal opinion it was an air strike that got the ammunition truck, possibly a TB2 drone dropping a guided munition. That would be consistent with there being lots of blast damage but no cratering. Everything soft has gone - look at what is hanging in the trees ..... (ugh ....)

- The estimates of 500-700 munitions that the Russians have expended are of their precision guided munitions, i.e. cruise missiles, ballistic missiles and the pattern suggests they are mostly out of stocks now. They seem to have almost no bomb-guidance kits. This means they are now (mostly) reliant on either aircraft-delivered dumb bombs; or unguided artillery, either guns-type artillery (like the stuff destroyed by Mykolaiv) or rocket-type artillery using unguided dumb munitions. These Russian rocket artillery are technically MLRS, but the munitions they fire are almost always dumb, whereas the comparable western munitions have often got smarts about them (it depends).

- fully agree re Brexit/Johnson/Farage and Trump/MAGA both being utterly beholden to Putin.

- It is not just Assad in Syria who is at risk. It is also Lukashenko in Belarus. Maduro in Venezuela. And the junta who recently had a coup in Mali. And others.

- With oil at $125 the global economy will soon enter a recession. My rule of thumb is that over $100 tends to trigger such a recession, and Brent went over $130 today.

- Yes, the Russian armed forces (land & air) are already now broken and it is unlikely they have the money to rebuild them. But the ones to watch are the Chinese who will be learning how much more money needs to be spent on the high-fidelity training & integration required to have a chance in a modern peer conflict. And the effect of western economic/financial/etc sanctions. And the likely looming implosion of their major ally in Russia. That, plus watching a megalomaniac leader take Russia to destruction has got to be having a lot of Chinese scratching their heads about what to do about Pres Xi Jinping who has just voted himself as leader for eternity.

Last edited:
Tesla getting some attention as a good crisis vehicle. Gotta say, hadn't thought about frunk making a convenient gun storage.

Screenshot_20220307-190047__01.jpg

He wasn't a soldier. He was police sent in to keep order in Kyiv after Ukraine collapsed on the first day. He was part of a police unit sent in with the first wave. They had no idea what was going on until they were in Ukraine.

Video has also surfaced of Ukrainians looking through abandoned Russian vehicles full of police riot gear and other police equipment.
I noticed that in one of those videos too and thought it unusual, although it wasn't really pointed out. That gives credibility to the story given there isn't really much reason for there to be riot gear in a Russian military truck.

- The Russian artillery battery that was wiped out is/was down in the south by Mykolaiv, NW of Khersom, not up in the north. There is no positive confirmation that it was hit by Ukrainian counterbattery fire. More likely in my personal opinion it was an air strike that got the ammunition truck, possibly a TB2 drone dropping a guided munition. That would be consistent with there being lots of blast damage but no cratering. Everything soft has gone - look at what is hanging in the trees ..... (ugh ....)

- The estimates of 500-700 munitions that the Russians have expended are of their precision guided munitions, i.e. cruise missiles, ballistic missiles and the pattern suggests they are mostly out of stocks now. They seem to have almost no bomb-guidance kits. This means they are now (mostly) reliant on either aircraft-delivered dumb bombs; or unguided artillery, either guns-type artillery (like the stuff destroyed by Mykolaiv) or rocket-type artillery using unguided dumb munitions. These Russian rocket artillery are technically MLRS, but the munitions they fire are almost always dumb, whereas the comparable western munitions have often got smarts about them (it depends).

- fully agree re Brexit/Johnson/Farage and Trump/MAGA both being utterly beholden to Putin.

- It is not just Assad in Syria who is at risk. It is also Lukashenko in Belarus. Maduro in Venezuela. And the junta who recently had a coup in Mali. And others.

- With oil at $125 the global economy will soon enter a recession. My rule of thumb is that over $100 tends to trigger such a recession, and Brent went over $130 today.

- Yes, the Russian armed forces (land & air) are already now broken and it is unlikely they have the money to rebuild them. But the ones to watch are the Chinese who will be learning how much more money needs to be spent on the high-fidelity training & integration required to have a chance in a modern peer conflict. And the effect of western economic/financial/etc sanctions. And the likely looming implosion of their major ally in Russia. That, plus watching a megalomaniac leader take Russia to destruction has got to be having a lot of Chinese scratching their heads about what to do about Pres Xi Jinping who has just voted himself as leader for eternity.
Thanks as always for the excellent posts. In the video it said it was a helicopter strike. They lost 1. I'm surprised the artillery had been left there, don't let it be recaptured, drop a thermite grenade in the breech or drive them back to the city.

Reactions: SwedishAdvocate

Brexit's Law: "The number of member nations in the European Union that begin with the letter 'U' shall remain constant."