Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where are they going to get these servers from?

I think @bkp_duke is an expert in this area.

Russia does have their own, limited, chip fabrication facilities, and an in-country designed CPU. Although, frankly, their CPUs suck (badly). But servers they have in place now will probably be sufficient for a while.

They also are still trading partners with China, which sadly obtained a license from AMD years ago to produce a Ryzen gen1 clone that has decent performance (about 3 generations behind current CPUs).

Frankly, given that they will have a limited, domestic-only internet audience, they probably have more than sufficient servers to meet demand.

Prepared for this since 2021

Maybe even 2019...

"In June 2019, President Vladimir Putin said Moscow had to ensure that the 'Runet' could function in a reliable way to guard against servers outside of Russia's control in other countries being switched off and their operations compromised.......The law stipulates that tests be carried out every year, but operations were called off in 2020 due to complications with the COVID-19 pandemic, RBC said"

Russia is probably tired of getting their TV hacked, or they are afraid that their population is starting to learn the truth of the war.

Maybe even 2019...

"In June 2019, President Vladimir Putin said Moscow had to ensure that the 'Runet' could function in a reliable way to guard against servers outside of Russia's control in other countries being switched off and their operations compromised.......The law stipulates that tests be carried out every year, but operations were called off in 2020 due to complications with the COVID-19 pandemic, RBC said"

Russia is probably tired of getting their TV hacked, or they are afraid that their population is starting to learn the truth of the war.
Didn't know the Russian TV was hacked...

Negotiating...from weakness. In the end of this Russia will be hard pressed to hold onto Crimea.

That is my guess Ukraine didn't take this offer, because they think they can get a better one.

The only risk is Putin getting desperate enough to use tactical nukes, but if that happened to resolve on sanctions and possibly NATO involvement woupd harden.

Foreign ministers are now meeting in Turkey.

Russia is keen to do a deal now, in a weeks time they may even be desperate for a deal.

That is my guess Ukraine didn't take this offer, because they think they can get a better one.

The only risk is Putin getting desperate enough to use tactical nukes, but if that happened to resolve on sanctions and possibly NATO involvement woupd harden.

Russia is keen to do a deal now, in a weeks time they may even be desperate for a deal.
If Russia uses a tactical nuke, they can kiss their buddy buddy relationship with China goodbye. No way in hell China would risk the political fallout of supporting a country that just used a nuke. So to me, using a tactical nuke has never been on the table. Putin knows that.

So then, like you said, Russia's window for negotiating with strength gets smaller each day. Time is not on their side.

Yep time to be a bit demanding if Ukraine.

Reactions: MC3OZ
Is it possible Russia has a 'fry the internet whole' worm or virus that has never been viable for them to use as it takes out everything (what would that mean exactly? Not sure.) and migrating to the .ru domain with domestic servers would allow for its release without damage? Or is this too paranoid?

If Russia uses a tactical nuke, they can kiss their buddy buddy relationship with China goodbye. No way in hell China would risk the political fallout of supporting a country that just used a nuke. So to me, using a tactical nuke has never been on the table. Putin knows that.

So then, like you said, Russia's window for negotiating with strength gets smaller each day. Time is not on their side.
But is it? If the "close to death" narrative is true, does he care about allies? Let's be realistic given what's happening right now - the world hates him, most of his people dislike him, and he may be doing nothing more than try to play one last game of chess.

Given Putin is well aware of Yanokovych's failure at Maidan, you think he'd know that marching in and trying to break the Ukrainian people's will would be an impossible task. I agree his window gets smaller each day, but again - someone looking out for their own country and people would get the reality of the situation and do what's in the countries best interest. Someone who only cares for what gets written in the history books about himself would not.

Reactions: BornToFly
Question - when Russia moves to its own DNS domain, how feasible is it for groups like Anonymous to still pull off these types of things?

IP addresses would be used instead of domain names. The hardest part is getting on an IP that Russia would allow through their firewall. But I'm sure there would still be plenty of 3rd-party countries open to the RU net that hackers could piggyback on.

Disconnecting from the internet entirely . . . that's REALLY hard. Possible, but that's really almost a "nuclear option". It would hurt Russia more than everyone else.

Your reminder that Russia is not the USSR:
83FAC0B2-31DE-4909-99FC-343761E1BB6E.png

The USSR circa 1965:
~11% of world economy
~7% of world population
~13% of world manufacturing
~30% of world military spending
~15% of world R&D spending

Russia circa 2021:
~1.8% of world economy
~2% of world population
~1.3% of world manufacturing