Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They also are still trading partners with China, which sadly obtained a license from AMD years ago to produce a Ryzen gen1 clone that has decent performance (about 3 generations behind current CPUs).
Simply means China will have ability to snoop in on what Putin does in toilet, and ability to completely take over Russian network at will.
Russia will become satellite state of China.

The only risk is Putin getting desperate enough to use tactical nukes, but if that happened to resolve on sanctions and possibly NATO involvement woupd harden.
I think even China would turn if Putin used a nuke.
They have been very observant.
Russia is keen to do a deal now, in a weeks time they may even be desperate for a deal.
Ukraine must insist on full withdraw, of everything (like Chirmea).
Or be immediately made NATO member.

Energy, food, and war. The trifecta

Initially I was skeptical when he said the global market was ending. I don't completely agree with that, I think it's going to morph, but he makes a lot of good points overall.

I think what's going to happen is the global market is going to shrink from including everyone to only including partners that are reliably going to be there tomorrow. Countries with stable economies will continues to trade with one another and some countries will specialize in some things. Fr example during the pandemic we had a lot of problems with counterfeit PPE because China had cornered the market before the pandemic and a lot of dodgy players got into the game, sometimes using the logos of reliable brands.

If the PPE market was controlled by a country with better consumer protections and a more responsible government, that wouldn't have happened. The disruptions probably would have been less dramatic because that country's government would have made more of an effort to work with other developed countries. Production expansion would have been more transparent and reliable.

I could see a global market with virtually all of Europe, North America, New Zealand, Australia, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, and some other stable economies all participating as they have been, but only with each other. The developing world would be out until they could get their economies stable and then they would be let into the fold.

He does make some good points about China and Russia.

There is an economic theory that has tended to hold true in just about every country in the modern era. Most people when they reach their early 50s, they drop their consumer spending. That's usually the age where children are leaving home and people get serious about rat-holing money for retirement. Also retirees are a net drain on an economy. When the retiree population gets too big, the economy goes into the doldrums.

Japan hit that point in the early 90s. They have had more retirees than working people for the last 30 years and it's dragged down their economy. When that generational cadre finally dies off and the number f retirees isn't so large, Japan's economy will come roaring back. It's taken a long time in Japan because they live so long. Other countries who hit that mark will have a shorter period of doldrums.

China is right on the cusp of that now and their generational difference is vastly larger than Japan's ever was. With the screwiness from the Chinese Communist Party and their tendency too hide the ball whenever there are problems hoping they will go away, the impact on China will likely be much more than just doldrums. They will probably go into a depression.

I didn't know the US was industrializing like it is, but that's good news. Somebody is going to have to pick up the pieces when China falls apart.

Russia is also facing a serious demographic cliff too. In the case of Russia they have one of the shortest expected life spans in the developed world so their period of retiree drag will probably not be as great, but he doesn't mention the generational divide Russia has between the cold war generations and post cold war generations. When the post cold war generations take control, Russia will be a very different place.

Interesting reminder of US involvement and big oil/arms race interests:

There seems to be a rush to try and blame the US for this war. Most of it coming from Americans. Some say it's US oil policy and some say it's due to the neocons wanting a new cold war.

US oil policy has caused a lot of problems in the world. Iran is the way it is today because the US and UK overthrew a duly elected president of Iran in the 1950s and replaced him with the Shah. Iraq is what it is in part because somebody who didn't understand the Middle East was drawing lines on a map in the 1920s and the US made it worse by trying regime change there in 2003.

US foreign policy has had a minor role in this conflict. NATO has been growing eastward and the old cold warriors in Russia don't like it, but the more they try to do something about it, the more Eastern Europe wants to be in NATO. The Eastern European countries joining NATO was more about the western allies acquiescing to demands than something the western countries were actively seeking out. But allowing NATO too grow eastward did make Putin nervous.

Oil and gas politics plays a role too, but the US has taken less of an active role in the dance Putin has played with Europe and oil politics. It was more about how much Germany was cuddling up to Russia and how much the rest of Europe was uncomfortable with that. Geographically Russian oil and gas is a natural fit for Europe. It's a supply that can be brought into Europe by pipeline, something not easily done from other sources.

But ultimately over 90% of the blame for this war sits on the shoulders of one person: Vladimir Putin and all the hand wringing about US oil policy and foreign policy is just a distraction right now. That's such a minor part of this war that it's not the time to talk about it.

Talk about how we can change energy policy to be less dependent on oil in general as well as how to deal with the shortages in raw materials coming out of Russia in the coming years are going to affect us are things we should be the side conversations we've been having. We can blame ourselves for our failings later. We have one world crisis that's going to lead to other crisis that will impact the world economy.

- The Russian artillery battery that was wiped out is/was down in the south by Mykolaiv, NW of Khersom, not up in the north. There is no positive confirmation that it was hit by Ukrainian counterbattery fire. More likely in my personal opinion it was an air strike that got the ammunition truck, possibly a TB2 drone dropping a guided munition. That would be consistent with there being lots of blast damage but no cratering. Everything soft has gone - look at what is hanging in the trees ..... (ugh ....)

- The estimates of 500-700 munitions that the Russians have expended are of their precision guided munitions, i.e. cruise missiles, ballistic missiles and the pattern suggests they are mostly out of stocks now. They seem to have almost no bomb-guidance kits. This means they are now (mostly) reliant on either aircraft-delivered dumb bombs; or unguided artillery, either guns-type artillery (like the stuff destroyed by Mykolaiv) or rocket-type artillery using unguided dumb munitions. These Russian rocket artillery are technically MLRS, but the munitions they fire are almost always dumb, whereas the comparable western munitions have often got smarts about them (it depends).

- fully agree re Brexit/Johnson/Farage and Trump/MAGA both being utterly beholden to Putin.

- It is not just Assad in Syria who is at risk. It is also Lukashenko in Belarus. Maduro in Venezuela. And the junta who recently had a coup in Mali. And others.

- With oil at $125 the global economy will soon enter a recession. My rule of thumb is that over $100 tends to trigger such a recession, and Brent went over $130 today.

- Yes, the Russian armed forces (land & air) are already now broken and it is unlikely they have the money to rebuild them. But the ones to watch are the Chinese who will be learning how much more money needs to be spent on the high-fidelity training & integration required to have a chance in a modern peer conflict. And the effect of western economic/financial/etc sanctions. And the likely looming implosion of their major ally in Russia. That, plus watching a megalomaniac leader take Russia to destruction has got to be having a lot of Chinese scratching their heads about what to do about Pres Xi Jinping who has just voted himself as leader for eternity.

I didn't know where it was and I see someone said it was a helicopter attack that took out the battery.

China has it's own problems that are looming. The video I responded to in my last post goes into them. China is a lot less stable than many people think. But in any case the Chinese strategy has been to sit back, wait for people to make mistakes, then hamstring them financially. They don't want to be allied to Russia or anyone else, they just see Putin as someone else who will be financially strapped and vulnerable in a few months.

Oil is going to be expensive for a while, but with the developed world ramping up their defense spending, it might not happen, or be partially offset by the increased government spending. The US too has the infrastructure bill passed last year that will start spending money this year. That will kick in just as the price of oil starts being felt everywhere else.

If Russia uses a tactical nuke, they can kiss their buddy buddy relationship with China goodbye. No way in hell China would risk the political fallout of supporting a country that just used a nuke. So to me, using a tactical nuke has never been on the table. Putin knows that.

So then, like you said, Russia's window for negotiating with strength gets smaller each day. Time is not on their side.

China is playing this very carefully. They don't want the world to see them trading with the devil.

Is it possible Russia has a 'fry the internet whole' worm or virus that has never been viable for them to use as it takes out everything (what would that mean exactly? Not sure.) and migrating to the .ru domain with domestic servers would allow for its release without damage? Or is this too paranoid?

That's pretty much impossible. The internet is made up of such a wide array of hardware and software that no virus can hit them all. It's possible they have found a vulnerability in something used quite widely, which could become a mess if triggered, but they won't be able to take down the internet.

What is more of a threat is Russian hacks into infrastructure have been found all over the world. These are basically software bombs that were put in servers controlling infrastructure. Each as an individual case. It's almost certain that not all of it has been found and they have the power to do things like shut down power plants or something like that.

A year or so back somebody hacked a water treatment plant in Florida and tried to dump a toxic level of lye into the water. A worker just happened to see the mouse on his computer move on its own and saw what they were doing and overrode the operation. I think it's still unknown who the hackers were.

Something tells me the oligarchs are just now voting on how quickly to "send Putin to a farm upstate".

Something tells me the oligarchs are just now voting on how quickly to "send Putin to a farm upstate".

The fall back plan could have always been that Putin is expendable..

Some suggest he has a serious illness, is in some pain and may die soon anyway.

He might volunteer for early euthanasia, and take one for the team.

The fall back plan could have always been that Putin is expendable..

Some suggest he has a serious illness, is in some pain and may die soon anyway.

He might volunteer for early euthanasia, and take one for the team.

I see nothing in the limited time we have seen him on TV that indicates significant illness. The only exception would be a terminal cancer with poor prognosis, however, that is not yet manifest physically.

Sadly, I don't put much stock in him doing the world a solid and dying soon.

Tens of thousands of mercenaries from dozens of countries are headed to Ukraine, with permission by countries they are citizens of.
Since they are not in any armed forced, they do not represent a country, thus not an act of war.
Putin has also hired mercenaries, but they are a tiny fraction of Ukraine.

These allied mercs are far better trained and equipped than most Russian troops, or possibly Ukrainian troops.

This report lists 20,000, however I think that is under counting, or not counting those in transit.

Last edited:
That is my guess Ukraine didn't take this offer, because they think they can get a better one.

The only risk is Putin getting desperate enough to use tactical nukes, but if that happened to resolve on sanctions and possibly NATO involvement woupd harden.

Foreign ministers are now meeting in Turkey.

Russia is keen to do a deal now, in a weeks time they may even be desperate for a deal.
Russia could reduce Ukraine to rubble with similar methods to what they did with Grozny. Or carpet bombing.

Whether Ukraine wants to fight despite the ultimatum of extreme measures that Russia has given is up to them. I hesitate to encourage it.

Putin was perfectly happy to let the army bleed itself to death in Chechnya too. I would not guess he's learned anything. Give it 6 months. The USA and EU are just getting going.
Tens of thousands of mercenaries from dozens of countries are headed to Ukraine, with permission by countries they are citizens of.
Since they are not in any armed forced, they do not represent a country, thus not an act of war.
Putin has also hired mercenaries, but they are a tiny fraction of Ukraine.

These allied mercs are far better trained and equipped than most Russian troops, or possibly Ukrainian troops.

This report lists 20,000, however I think that is under counting, or not counting those in transit.
I think this is mostly propaganda. Good to boost morale of Ukraines and let them know they are not alone. The truth is that few will speak a local language, fewer still will read a local language. Fewer still will understand the command and control structure. They have to be fed and clothed.

Someone has to lead them, someone has to feed them. They can't ask the local granny for lunch. A Ukraine can. They can't read a warning for a landmine, etc etc. I never found volunteers very useful on front lines. Lots of use in support, especially medical and hospitals. Driving trucks, etc. Ukraine had a huge army, it has a large population, there shoud be more than enough local lads able and willing to pick up a gun and with them you eliminate a host of issues.

The international folks just are more burdensome than not in my experience but anyway, maybe Ukrainians figured out some solution. I suspect mostly rah rah propaganda.

I'm not so sure that the action has been so one-sided and that the Russians are desperate with regard to time. Pick your own perception in the fog of war.
I think that Putin just does not care. He has his troops slaughtering civilians and committing war crimes on a daily basis. What does he care if they do that 2 weeks or 6 months. Can they survive next winter...I doubt it. I expect things get very interesting by this fall.

Oil is going to be expensive for a while, but with the developed world ramping up their defense spending, it might not happen, or be partially offset by the increased government spending. The US too has the infrastructure bill passed last year that will start spending money this year. That will kick in just as the price of oil starts being felt everywhere else.
ALL THE MORE REASON to own an electric car. I am NOT RELIANT on Russian oil, nor worried about the price of gasoline going up. I know that Tesla has always refused to advertise, but someone needs to tell Biden that Tesla is years ahead of GM and Ford and VW and Toyota when it comes to running on sunlight and wind, etc. I started installing a few solar panels at a time as I could afford them, and I could afford more as time went on and my electric bill went down, down, down. At this point, PG&E pays ME, and I don't even know the price of gasoline. Don't even care.

The only problem I ever had was while charging near a service station, when a pickup driver came walking over throwing rocks toward my Tesla. I'd be mad, too, if I'd screwed up and bought an oil burner.