Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does your argument also apply to Russian tanks ?
Exactly. The older tanks suck. They have not been maintained, the engines are old, who knows who did what last on each machine. Every one of those was locked away in storage. As someone that has spent millions in heavy equipment recently and is currently shopping for 2 more ...used sucks. Old old refurbed sucks too. Anyone telling you different is not riding it on a daily basis. They will each get some rehab but that is a for profit company rehabbing based on a checklist. If they conveniently skip say replacing grease pump fuses that are notorious for failing... or fail to know that the new upgraded parker hydraulic pumps 0 rings fail at 250 hours...well you will have a machine down. That's not even getting into the significant advances in armor.

New tanks side armor is better, an extreme example is that the abrams did not get destroyed by any side armor missile hits during gulf wars except by our own. They lost several to improvised explosives- daisy chain 155 rounds- during second gulf war. Low tech was much more effective but the losses were more mobility related than complete destruction and the vast majority were repaired.

The leopard 2a6 are going to fair much much better would be my guess. Lots of learning there. If russia is smart they'd take a page from iraqi war and syria and go heavy on mines.

The older tanks suck. They have not been maintained, the engines are old, who knows who did what last on each machine. Every one of those was locked away in storage. As someone that has spent millions in heavy equipment recently and is currently shopping for 2 more ...used sucks. Old old refurbed sucks too.

I appreciate your experience and POV, as always, and I cannot help but chuckle at the lightly disguised rant side of your comment.

But I wonder how applicable the conclusions a business dependent on machinery for years and trying to squeeze value from purchases are to a war machine running on petro dollars. Does Putin care if the tanks are history after a month of operation ? I'll hazard a guess that the Rus MOD operates through a prism of operational capacity. Tank flux or cost may be distant considerations

Last edited:
I appreciate your experience and POV, as always, and I cannot help but chuckle at the lightly disguised rant side of your comment.

But I wonder how applicable the conclusions a business dependent on machinery for years and trying to squeeze value from purchases are to a war machine running on petro dollars. Does Putin care if the tanks are history after a month of operation ? I'll hazard a guess that the Rus MOD operates through a prism of operational capacity. Tank flux or cost may be distant considerations
Chuckle away, glad to amuse (truly - I laugh at myself). It's the honest truth though. You should see me sometimes up to my knees in mud, with 10k lb rated tow chains hooking up one machine to tow another (when doing wetland restoration jobs-just challenging to say the least). I mean I carry more weight in chains than I weigh if that makes sense. Now that is a good laugh...ever get to the DC area we'll show you some funnies. However, just as anyone that had ever operated 40 ton equipment in mud ...well I knew Ukraine was not going to attack back in April or even May like some thought.

On the equipment side it won't matter to Putins orcs that it wasn't greased until they need to drive it 20 miles in a retreat and the bearings fail and only one track in moving and the tank is going in circles and they all run away. It's why you see so so many abandoned russian vehicles and you notice they leave hatch's open on the way out. The issue with the older leopards is going to be they have been traded around and maint records get lost and parts are discontinued. They nice thing about the russian equipment is they made a lot of it and they can find parts. The parker replacement pump thing is real. They new pumps are being assembled in a defective manner and they ALL fail. Just one example.

Ukrainian commanders also seem to be very cautious about spending lives. They grudgingly held Bahkmut. It cost them thousands of casualties. They did not do that to just throw away the lives of all these green drafted units in a rushed assault in southern Ukraine. They'll do the full SunTzu just as they did last year. On that I'll bet a farm. The best enemy is the one that runs away. Or the one that is not there. Avoid the strongest points (the south), attack the weakest.

You should see me sometimes up to my knees in mud, with 10k lb rated tow chains hooking up one machine to tow another (when doing wetland restoration jobs-just challenging to say the least).

Without any doubt the absolutely hardest physical thing I have ever done is an army march in the mud. My feet would slide some 4 inches into the mud every step, and pulling a foot out was at the limit of my strength due to the vacuum. Every. step.for. kilometers.

Thankfully I do not have nightmares from that experience, but I recognize your stories as all too true.

The Drone Wars
(part of the Leopards and Abrams and Drones triad)

Brigadier General Yuriy Shchyhol (in charge of drone procurement): about 30 companies in Ukraine are already mass producing these drones and our goal is to purchase 200,000 by the end of the year.

Mykhailo Fedorov, Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Digital Transformation: This is a technological war and it's very important to understand how technology is developing and what we as a state can do to increase the number of drones. A certain revolution is also taking place regarding production scaling.

Fedorov is spearheading their Army of Drones project. I don't recall the name of our (US) Secretary of Digital Transformation. Perhaps we don't' have one and are lagging behind Ukraine in this regard.

Ukraine has already said they've trained 10,000 drone operators. Unless Russia has a wholesale and widespread method for disabling drones, if all of this is real then these drones by themselves could change the outcome of the war. To put the numbers in perspective, the world's record for the largest number of UAVs airborne simultaneously is roughly 5,200.

When the Ukrainian counter-offensive starts, there will be no doubt that it has started.

Links from this morning's trawl, for anybody interested

Does your argument also apply to Russian tanks ?

Russians absolutely suck at combined arms. Tanks need to have flank protection or ATGMs will eat them up. That's why they have lost so many tanks. It doesn't matter what kind of tanks you have, don't protect them and you will lose them. Turkey lost several Leopards because they didn't have infantry giving them flank support.

The Ukrainians started the war fairly good at combined arms and are pretty much up to NATO standard now, at least in their best trained units. With the right flank protection armored vehicles of any kind have a good chance of survival, without it and Abrams would be at risk.

Exactly. The older tanks suck. They have not been maintained, the engines are old, who knows who did what last on each machine. Every one of those was locked away in storage. As someone that has spent millions in heavy equipment recently and is currently shopping for 2 more ...used sucks. Old old refurbed sucks too. Anyone telling you different is not riding it on a daily basis. They will each get some rehab but that is a for profit company rehabbing based on a checklist. If they conveniently skip say replacing grease pump fuses that are notorious for failing... or fail to know that the new upgraded parker hydraulic pumps 0 rings fail at 250 hours...well you will have a machine down. That's not even getting into the significant advances in armor.

New tanks side armor is better, an extreme example is that the abrams did not get destroyed by any side armor missile hits during gulf wars except by our own. They lost several to improvised explosives- daisy chain 155 rounds- during second gulf war. Low tech was much more effective but the losses were more mobility related than complete destruction and the vast majority were repaired.

The leopard 2a6 are going to fair much much better would be my guess. Lots of learning there. If russia is smart they'd take a page from iraqi war and syria and go heavy on mines.

Nicholas Moran is a US armor officer (though he has an Irish accent) and he has done many videos about tanks and tank tactics. In this interview he talks about the utility of older tanks
Did Ukraine Change your Mind about Russian Tanks? @TheChieftainsHatch

The bulk of the vehicles any tank is going to come across will be easily defeated by even the gun of the original T-55. There are a lot more lightly armored and unarmored vehicles on a battlefield than there are tanks. And the enemy tanks will be actively hunted by lightly armored Ukrainian vehicles with ATGMs as well as infantry with ATGMs not to mention drones with anti tank weapons. The Russians are so poor at protecting their tanks from these sorts of attacks that the field will probably be cleared of any active Russian tanks early in the battle.

He makes the point that an upgraded older vehicle has much more utility on a modern battlefield than a non-upgraded middle generation tank. For example a T-62 with thermal sights added (which the Ukrainians did to most of their fleet) is much more useful than a T-72 with old iron sights (which is the state of a large number of Russia's T-72s and all their older tanks). In a tank on tank battle the one who gets the first shot usually wins. Thermal sights and gun stabilizers give you a much better chance to get the first shot.

Russian tanks can't fire on the run. They have to stop and wait for the tank to quite wobbling on its suspension before they can make an accurate shot. I think they finally got gun stabilization into the T-90, but with the sanctions they don't have the electronics for those systems anymore.

Most western tanks, including the old ones came with or have been modernized with thermal sights and gun stabilizers. They can fire on the move with a chance of getting a hit and they can see the enemy before the enemy can see them.

One of the reasons for the delays in delivering western armor has been the need to refurbish the tanks before turning them over. Some were fairly well maintained like the Dutch Leopard 1s, but others have been in storage. The Dutch Leopards were modernized with thermal sights and gun stabilizers. The Leopard 1s gun would struggle to punch through the front armor of a T-72/T-80/T-90, but with a gun stabilizer they can fire multiple times while closing the range and probably score some non-penetrating hits that freak out the untrained crew until they get into kill range.

Meanwhile the Russian tank is trying to track a moving target and get shots into the Leopard before the Leopard can close the range. The Russians are terrible at hitting moving targets. Even if the tank isn't moving. With the poor training their current tankers have, the ability to hit a moving target today is probably worse than it was a year ago.

That is if the Leopard comes across a Russian tank that isn't a burning wreck after getting hit with a TOW or a Javelin or something else.

Because the Russians are abysmal at taking care of their equipment, a given tank of the T-55/T-62/Leopard 1 era is probably barely mobile and lucky if the gun works at all. On the other hand a Leopard 1 had a full maintenance check up and repair before being handed over to the Ukrainians. Being an older tank they will have more age related mechanical issues than the Leopard 2s, but the Leopard 1 is also a much simpler tank design with less to break and easier access to the parts when things do break.

Being on the offensive, Ukraine will likely recover most of the older thanks that break down and will be able to fix them up and get them back into action. Then there will be more tanks coming throughout the summer so Ukraine can probably make good all their losses.

Western tanks are designed to have better crew survival so tanks that are lost will likely have more crew survive than Soviet era tanks in Ukrainian service. These crews can be put into newly delivered western tanks and sent back into battle. That's a major long term advantage to using western armor. The Russians are low on experienced tank crews because so many crew went into the sky with their turrets over the last year.

Links from this morning's trawl, for anybody interested

I was about the comment on the Ukrainians using drones to target individuals. If they step that up just before launching the assault on the trenches, the trenches they will be attacking will be virtually empty. Pretty easy to plow through defenses when nobody is home.

On older tanks- all the deficiencies of Russian tanks have nothing to do with older western tanks being worse than new western tanks. This was a comment on old vs new on a battlefield and I promise you that anybody writing on the topic would rather be in new if their butt was in the seat. Would you honestly rather be in the old leopard 1 instead of the 2a6? I promise you your lifespan will be shorter. The first Russian with an rpg will end your life if they get behind you.

Sure old tanks still have utility but that wasn’t the point. Old sucks. They built the new one to be better than the old one and unless you are a communist govt putting the same engine (the engine in the Russian tanks was developed in 1930s- the exception being the turbines in the Arctic oriented tanks) in ever heavier tanks (NATO countries do not) the new ones are better.

The leopard 1 series have been proven to be very susceptible to weak attacks such as an rpg ( which won’t take out an uparmored a2) from sides and rear which will be very common in a real urban setting or weaker mines.

The most effective tank is one fighting an enemy that is not there or weak. In which case an IFV will do just as well and have more utility.

Ukraine is just brilliant at the shaping going on.

The Free Russia Legion will hold a referendum to see if the people of Belgorad want an independent State from Russia. LOL

1685786916335.png

On older tanks- all the deficiencies of Russian tanks have nothing to do with older western tanks being worse than new western tanks. This was a comment on old vs new on a battlefield and I promise you that anybody writing on the topic would rather be in new if their butt was in the seat. Would you honestly rather be in the old leopard 1 instead of the 2a6? I promise you your lifespan will be shorter. The first Russian with an rpg will end your life if they get behind you.

Sure old tanks still have utility but that wasn’t the point. Old sucks. They built the new one to be better than the old one and unless you are a communist govt putting the same engine (the engine in the Russian tanks was developed in 1930s- the exception being the turbines in the Arctic oriented tanks) in ever heavier tanks (NATO countries do not) the new ones are better.

The leopard 1 series have been proven to be very susceptible to weak attacks such as an rpg ( which won’t take out an uparmored a2) from sides and rear which will be very common in a real urban setting or weaker mines.

The most effective tank is one fighting an enemy that is not there or weak. In which case an IFV will do just as well and have more utility.

Ukraine is just brilliant at the shaping going on.

Virtually all operational Leopard 1s have been modernized to something akin to the 1A5 standard, with some having better electronics than the original 1A5. The 1A5 has turret armor roughly on par with the M60A3 which is decent, though the hull armor is thin.

The 1A5 is a lighter tank with high mobility and a fire control system that gives it a good chance of hitting the enemy on the run. Whenever possible tankers go into a hull down position, which is parking the tank behind some kind of obstacle with only the turret visible and free to pivot. This gives added hull protection.

As for which tank would you prefer to go into battle in, if the choice was between being in a Leopard 2 or Leopard 1 company than yes the Leopard 2 is a better tank, but there are not many Leopard 2s in Ukraine so the question is pretty much moot. The real world choice is between going into battle in a Leopard 1A5 or an old Soviet design that may or may not have been upgraded. In that case I would choose any western tank over an old Soviet tank. If the tank is knocked out, your chances of survival are much better in any western tank, probably even an M48. Of course the more current western tanks are even better for survival, but again, they are in limited supply.

In car terms, all the Teslas are taken and the choice is between a Nissan Leaf or a Yugo.

Just don’t be surprised if leopard losses are high. Also talking about mobility and sped and firing while moving then saying weak armor doesn’t matter because they mostly defilade is contradictory. The leopard 1s are just as welcome as polands t72s and will likely be more useful. They still will suck and that is why they need 6 months rehab to even be suitable for hand me downs.

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate

on a more positive note the darn Green Lemons have made the most significant donation since the HIMARS...talking of course about the Storm Shadow. Ukrainian shaping operations just continue right along. That was from the other day, today more strikes by storm shadows and likely glide bombs all across the port cities. Just waiting..

Just don’t be surprised if leopard losses are high. Also talking about mobility and sped and firing while moving then saying weak armor doesn’t matter because they mostly defilade is contradictory. The leopard 1s are just as welcome as polands t72s and will likely be more useful. They still will suck and that is why they need 6 months rehab to even be suitable for hand me downs.

Ukraine has a lot of weird armor now. The AMX-10RCs have lighter armor than the Leopards. There are also the M55Ms from Slovakia which are T-55s that were rebuilt into more modern tanks in the 1990s.

The triad of tank qualities are: mobility, protection, and firepower. With the engines of the 1940s, at least one had to be sacrificed for the others. That's why armies had light, medium, and heavy tanks. Light tanks focused on mobility above all else. Originally a tank division would have one or more regiments of light tanks that were tasked with lighter duties, but as the war went on the light tanks were assigned to recon roles. Heavy tanks focused on the protection and often firepower in exchange for mobility. Not all heavy tanks had big guns. The KV-1 had the same 76mm gun of the same generation of T-34 and the Sherman Jumbo assault tank had a low velocity 75mm.

Medium tanks tried to balance out these factors as well as possible. The T-34 managed this best in the early and middle years of the war and then the Panther became the first real MBT, though it was not considered that at the time.

In the post war years the light tank was pushed into a niche role, such as supporting airborne troops with air mobility being an advantage and the heavy tank was squeezed out as the medium tanks grew in weight and capability.

Vehicles like the AMX-10RC have sacrificed most armor protection to put a relatively large gun on an armored car. It has excellent road mobility, but being wheeled it's offroad performance is not as good as a tank.

The modern MBTs from the west are like the heavy tanks of the WW II era. They have excellent protection as well as the largest guns available on tanks, and while they are faster than old heavy tanks, they suffer in the mobility department because their weight prevents their use in some areas. A lot of road bridges can't handle their weight, combat engineering bridges have to be more robust, and they are more likely to sink into soft ground.

The old armor like the M55Ms and Leopard 1s don't have the armor of the third generation MBTs, nor are their guns as big caliber, but they do have better mobility and at least the Leopards have better crew survivability as well as more comfortable crew compartments.

Soviet/Russian tanks sacrificed crew comfort to stay as small as possible. They are very cramped. I forget which Soviet tank it was but the only people who were taken into units to operate them had to be under 5 ft 6. These tanks are very fatiguing on even a veteran crew on a long march where the crew has to be in their tank for hours at a time.

That's an important factor for an army that is hoping to roll up a lot of territory fast. A crew who is worn out from being in a cramped position and jostled around for the last 6 hours is not going to be as alert to new threats than a crew that has had a smoother ride and a bit of leg room.

Ukraine still has a lot of Soviet/Russian tanks and at least late last year there were signs they still had enough ammunition for them. But they wanted western tanks for the offensive and they seem happy to be getting a lot of Leopard 1s. Looking at the ergonomics of the tanks they had compared to western tanks probably contributed to their requests. Once Ukraine punches through the first line of Russian defenses, they want as few factors as possible slowing them down.

The Leopard 1s are old and that is a factor. Even with a thorough deep maintenance cycle there could be hidden wear that they miss that will come back to bite the tank once it's running across fields at full throttle. The breakdown rate of the Leopard 1s will probably be higher than the 2s. I don't think their combat losses will be proportionally all that much higher. By the time the tanks get somewhere, there will be few Russian tanks to oppose them.

Modern MBTs are also vulnerable to modern ATGMs and while Leopard 1s are more vulnerable to older missile weapons, most of those weapons don't have a guidance system. Hitting a vehicle moving at relatively high speed with on takes some skill. That's where good mobility becomes protection.

It's a very old tactic for tankers. Keep moving and the enemy will have fits hitting you. In North Africa the British used American light tanks (Stuarts which the British called Honeys) which had a 37mm gun and very light armor, but were fast. They could take on 88mm flak guns used in the anti-tank role by moving too fast for the 88s to hit them. The Honey crews could close in to where the 37mm gun could fire canister round which were essentially large shotgun shells. Those were devastating to the gun crews.

I think the Leopard 1 will prove to be good enough to get the job done. Most of the work for tanks in the offensive is going to be clearing out infantry fortifications and any vehicle with some armor and a gun 100mm or larger is a good candidate for this job.

In WW II the old pre-war US battleships were considered obsolescent early in the war as the carrier proved to be the weapon best suited to the Pacific. The old battleships were too slow to keep up with the carriers and the new battleships coming into service as the war started (for the US) were just barely fast enough, though they had to run faster than normal cruising speed to keep up. In the end the old battlewagons became the mobile artillery for island invasions and the new battleships became flak batteries.

The fast battleships would have worked better if they had taken the 16inch turrets off and replaced them with 5 inch guns. The fast battleships were only needed once for their intended roll when on November 15, 1942 the USS Washington and South Dakota were thrown into the fray to stop a surface bombardment force with four destroyers scraped together at the last moment. These were thrown in only because there was nothing else available. The last cruisers the US Navy had in the area had been mauled tow nights before.

All 4 destroyers got hit early and three sank. The South Dakota got illuminated by Japanese search lights and pummeled. The first salvo to hit knocked out the electrical system so the ship couldn't respond. The Japanese had a battleship and several cruisers, but they were loaded with bombardment ammunition and none of the shots penetrated the SD's armor. The ship was still badly damaged.

The Washington was not spotted by the Japanese and it was able to sneak in and do a lot of damage before slipping away unhurt. With radar gunnery, the Washington was able to see exactly where the enemy were and hit the Kirishima (Japanese battleship) with 9-20 16inch rounds crippling the ship and forcing the Japanese to withdraw.

There were a couple of other instances where the fast battleships were given a chance to take out some ships once the aircraft had done most of the work such as pursuing Japanese ships fleeing Truk, but the fast battleships were little more than big flak gun platforms for most of the war.

The old battle wagons were used heavily in support of amphibious operations and even got their own chance at surface action on October 25.1944 when they were used in the Battle of Surigao Strait where a Japanese force trying to get at the unloading transports in the Philippines was mauled by a US and Australian force that was waiting for them. Allied forces were arrayed to ambush the Japanese as they made their way to the landing beach with the old battleships, now upgraded with the latest targeting radar as the last line. Several ships were picked off on the way in and the old battleships finished the job sinking one Japanese battleship and pretty much smashing the remaining attack force.

Even though slow and not as flashy as the fast battleships, the old slow battleships proved to be more useful in the end.

on a more positive note the darn Green Lemons have made the most significant donation since the HIMARS...talking of course about the Storm Shadow. Ukrainian shaping operations just continue right along. That was from the other day, today more strikes by storm shadows and likely glide bombs all across the port cities. Just waiting..

Nobody is saying how many Storm Shadows were given to Ukraine, but it must be a lot of them. Ukraine is good at holding back their better weapons that are in short supply for high value targets. They are out of Tochkas now, but they held back a number of them well into 2022.

They are using a lot of Storm Shadows which tells me they have a lot of them. Which is a good thing. The ability to hit Russian targets anywhere on Ukrainian territory is a game changer as big as the introduction of the HIMARS last summer.

@wdolson re the prediction for June 6th...could be

We'll know whether or not in 3 days.

Cautionary note on quality of the Ukrainian Army

There is something very odd with this article. The information contradicts reported evidence of the Ukrainians performing combined arms. And it doesn't make sense that the training in NATO countries would be that odd.

My partner came across the article before I did. She has been following Rob Lee for some time. My partner said she saw something he said once that he had worked in intelligence.

This story may be genuine, but it could also be part of an effort to deceive the Russians, making them think Ukraine is not as well prepared as they are. Russian command already thinks Ukrainians are sub-human, so stories that shine a bad light on their preparations will likely be believed.

We'll see how they perform when the offensive starts.