Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RE Tires. Trent said last year that they'd run out of tires.

100% of of the remaining Soviet strategic tire reserve has now been reallocated to the strategic air forces (and to the strategy room deep in the vowels of the Kremlin).

Budmo Gump Tire Company.jpg

Da.

The main thing to know about chains is that they slow the vehicle down considerably.

Everything slows down in the winter.

Yes chains slow them down but provide traction, otherwise not much is moving on the secondary roads in winter. The paved primary roads are fine for just regular tires, nothing special. Once it freezes then game on, last winter it never seemed to freeze.

I suspect this winter is going to be different from last winter. The Pacific winter outlook looks very different this year, I suspect Europe and Asia will have a different weather pattern too. It still may not freeze, maybe it will just rain buckets all winter? Who knows for sure. I can't find a long range forecast for Ukraine.

Bald tires are not going to manage off road in mud very well. Even slightly muddy conditions and those trucks will just be sitting with their wheels spinning.

In times of War, lots of things get in short supply. Soldiers and Citizens adapt and carry on as best they can with what they have.

A major comedy theme in MASH reruns was Corp Klinger and ORiley working their contacts constantly to get supplies that were hard to get. During all wars, soldiers do not have all the ammo, transportation, food, water, latrines, sleeping quarters, communications etc that they need. The side that can solve the most logistics problems usually wins.
Classic example is how German Field Marshal Rommel, with his great strategic capabilities, superior tanks, better trained troops etc were defeated because he simply out ran his supply lines and was unable to capture enough fuel from the enemy to carry on. His tanks ground to a halt and it was over for him.

US tipped the battlefield of WWI because the industrial might of America and mass production of assembly lines, simply overwhelmed the enemy with tanks, bombers, fighters, jeeps, supply ships and aircraft carriers.

For American wars since WW I, the primary supply problem was usually having the right supply in the right place. Most of the time there was plentiful supply, it just wasn't in the right place. There were a few times when supply got tight. For some reason the US cut back on artillery ammunition production in 1943. It was some kind of administrative screw up. It led to ammunition shortages in the field for a couple of months. But that sort of thing was rare.

Rommel was outstanding at battlefield strategy, but he fell down when it came to supply logistics. The German high command knew that Africa was always going to be a sideshow because they couldn't move enough supply there to capture Egypt, but Rommel struggled to understand that reality. Rommel did outrun his supply lines. By the time he reached Egypt he was burning 90% of his fuel moving supplies from Tripoli.

The Axis felt real supply shortages throughout the supply chain, especially late in the war. My German teacher in high school had been in the Ardennes Offensive in 1944. He said he remembered seeing a knocked out American Jeep and he was dumbstruck that the spare tire on the back was brand new as were the four tires on the road. Getting new tires for German vehicles was almost impossible by that point.

The abundance of American supply convinced a lot of enemy front line soldiers that the war was truly lost long before it was over.

Russia is showing signs of being starved for everything like the Germans were by late 1944. Germany did fight on until May 1945, so it isn't a sign that collapse is imminent, but it is a clear sign they are hurting badly. An army in that kind of supply crunch may be capable of a localized offensive like the Germans did in the Ardennes, but the gains from any late war German offensives were short lived and the theme of the last year of the war was just trying to stem the bleeding on all fronts.

Ukraine and Russia are more evenly matched than Germany vs the Allies. Germany was facing three allies that had more people, more war production, and more supply of just about everything than Germany had. Ukraine is the better army, but they are just one army and they don't have all the advantages (they have some) the Allies had in WW II. Germany had a better trained and overall more competent army than Russia has. German NCOs were among the world's best at the time and they also had many very capable officers at all ranks who were given the flexibility to do achieve objectives on their own terms.

The comparisons between this war and WW II are not perfect by any means, but as supply goes, Russia is in a similar situation as what Germany was in around mid to late 1944.

I do not know about the specifics at the ports of Sevaspol and Novorossisk, but in general at key naval ports there are some important bits of infrastructure to watch.

1 - ammunitioning facilities;
2 - ammunition storage and preparation facilities;
3 - dry dock and repair facilities;
4 - barracks accomodation and onshore training facilities;
5 - refuelling facilities (these are of course also in civilian ports);

Ido recall that in Sevastpol item 1 was a floating crane and associated piers and roadways. Has that been removed ? If not, is there an equivalent at Novorossysk ?

(Very few navies can do this stuff at sea. In many navies ships alongside disembark most of their crew to 4. It is really only the USA, UK, and France that have true persistent deep water long range navies, though China is a fast learner. The point being that by carefully studying the Nov vs Sev port facilities and any relocations one can learn a lot.).

=============

They see to be on the receiving end of artillery fire and (?) does one of those vehicles hit a mine as well (?). Best wishes for them.

Last edited:
@petit_bateau They are getting some hits but these units have passed the "second line" by verbove, these units are past the "dragon teeth" anti vehicle barrier and not receive mine hits. This is a mission to deliver clearing crews and the use of the mrap and strykers indicates it was considered a bit safer, the IFV led instead of tanks which is unusual

Poland will no longer send weapons to Ukraine, says PM, as grain dispute escalates​

Counterpoint :)

Something I've learned over the last year is that Poles @*#&ing loathe russia. Poland has fought above its weight with assistance to Ukraine.

80% of poles as of March 2023 dislike russians, vs around 40% in jan of 2022. Some of them were alive when the soviet union invaded.

Last edited:
@petit_bateau They are getting some hits but these units have passed the "second line" by verbove, these units are past the "dragon teeth" anti vehicle barrier and not receive mine hits. This is a mission to deliver clearing crews and the use of the mrap and strykers indicates it was considered a bit safer, the IFV led instead of tanks which is unusual
Thank you.

I saw some OSINT photo analysis that Russia is building another second line with teeth+ditch+mines+trenches a bit further back behind Verbove. Ukraine needs to penetrate faster than Russia can build, otherwise a true breakthrough will not be achievable. I haven't seen enough data to get a feel for whether Ukraine can manage that this season.

Last edited:
There are elections in Europe soon, these articles are worth reading - especially in respect of the Slovak one

This also is relevant re Ukraine

Thank you.

I saw some OSINT photo analysis that Russia is building another second line with teeth+ditch+mines+trenches a bit further back behind Verbove. Ukraine needs to penetrate faster than Russia can build, otherwise a true breakthrough will not be achievable. I haven't seen enough data to get a feel for whether Ukraine can manage that this season.

Me either, in terms of moving faster. However, no minefields which is an improvements. A few mappers believe that Ukraine has widely penetrated the second line in between Verbove and the village just south of Robotnye. Also that they have the road secured into Robotnye now so no more helicopter supplied troops (we hope).

In other news

Crimea again:

I just can't help but like this guy. He reminds me of a W.E.B. Griffen character from his Brotherhood of War series, Sandy Felter: "le féroce petit juif" :D

Zelensky stares down Russia at his first UN meeting since the country’s invasion | Times Radio (1 hr ago)

You stand up to a bully, and bloody his nose. That's how you end the fight.

Cheers to the brave, ferocious defenders of freedom!
He was the right guy at the right time. I think when he refused to leave Kyiv despite russia already within city limits in Feb of last year it showed what he was made of. I strongly suspect if he had pissed off to Lviv he would not have had the clout he does with the country. He's youthful, gritty, charismatic, and meets with his people regularly. He's the complete antithesis of the old, paranoid, sick man leading russia. It doesn't mean I want to marry him, but ukraine is lucky to have him making calls and asking for favors from various presidents and prime ministers.