Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ukraine is claiming 902 artillery knocked out this month with one day left to go. Big jump from last month which was 691. Total Russian losses in artillery for the year is 4385 (according to Ukraine's numbers). This doesn't count the artillery that is out of service due to worn out barrels or other worn out parts. Ukraine is claiming 6409 guns taken out so far.

Russia started the war with around 14,000 guns between active service and reserve. Some percentage of the reserve guns were unusable between rusting out in storage and guns that were worn out in the Chechen wars. Russia doesn't really have many sources for more guns. They may get some from North Korea, but that's about the only place they can get any. Russia isn't making any new guns, though some of the rehab shops they have set up may be rehabbing some of the broken artillery. Without the means to make new barrels they are going to be limited to taking parts off one gun to rehab another which is going to limit their ability to put guns back into service.

Overall, Russia must be feeling a pretty tight pinch in artillery availability.
I have been reading a lot more sources on X lately regarding the war. I’ve seen some useful charts posted by some - attaching one here from herrdr8 which has an embedded graph of artillery losses by Richard Vekerer. Hopefully this renders here. I also saw a post that spoke to a lack of replacement barrels for Russian tanks, another item you predicted.

Unsurprisingly, the volume of dis-information being pushed by Russia and those favoring their position (motives of individual actors vary from shills to those purposely seeking contrary positions, to those who hold misguided notions around paths to peace) has increased significantly in the past few weeks. By volume I mean both the physical quantity and the ”loudness” of it. Thankfully, I am seeing vigorous pushback from others by using facts and sound arguments. That said, there are some very clever pieces being produced as well. This one from the Ukrainian government, uses the metaphor of baking bread to take apart the arguments being made by some Western military strategists that have challenged UKR’s approach to the counter offensive.

Hopefully the video will properly embed.

Unsurprisingly, the volume of dis-information being pushed by Russia and those favoring their position (motives of individual actors vary from shills to those purposely seeking contrary positions, to those who hold misguided notions around paths to peace) has increased significantly in the past few weeks. By volume I mean both the physical quantity and the ”loudness” of it. Thankfully, I am seeing vigorous pushback from others by using facts and sound arguments. That said, there are some very clever pieces being produced as well. This one from the Ukrainian government, uses the metaphor of baking bread to take apart the arguments being made by some Western military strategists that have challenged UKR’s approach to the counter offensive.

Links opens for me but it is better to replace "x" with "twitter" when setting up link.

Any chance of Russia getting them from China?

China is being very careful about giving actual military aid to Russia. They don't want the US and Europe to quit buying their products. Even with the increase in commerce with Russia since the war started, the amount of money China makes from Russia is a drop in the bucket compared to what they make from the United States.

China has gotten away with selling Russia the components they can use to make their own weapons, and they appear to have looked the other way for the sale of small quantities of infantry weapons, but there are no signs that the Chinese government wants to sell Russia any weapons.

If China was going to slip artillery to Russia on the down low, they would ensure that it is not easily identifiable as Chinese. A lot of the PLA's equipment has its roots in old Soviet equipment, but it has branched from those roots enough that equipment watchers would spot them. China does have about 5600 towed howitzers that came from the USSR. They probably could slip those to the Russians without raising too many flags. In this modern battlefield, towed guns are sitting ducks.

The link @Skipdd sent shows the 203mm and 240mm guns are being lost in numbers now. Those are guns are vehicle mounted but still have a fairly long set up and break down time. Russia didn't deploy them early on because of this. Now they are showing signs of desperation to deploy them and they are getting lost in fairly high numbers considering Russia didn't have many of those to begin with.

Russia’s Is Sending Its Heaviest Artillery Into Ukraine, And It Is Getting Destroyed

2S7 Pion - Wikipedia

Knowing Russia's tendency to bring ancient hardware back into service, there may be a few of these in service
203 mm howitzer M1931 (B-4) - Wikipedia

Old (Swedish I believe saying)-
Throw a stick into a pack of dogs and the one that yelps is the one you hit. Russia is yelping a lot more and a lot louder of late.

Russia's arms industry may spike short term but is doomed long term. They must produce for others to afford their kit for themselves and, after having proven the lack of effectiveness, their export opportunities have shrunk.

The long term outlook for Russia is grim indeed. There must be some capable people within the country that see this. I'm hopeful they will do something about it.

Russia's arms industry may spike short term but is doomed long term. They must produce for others to afford their kit for themselves and, after having proven the lack of effectiveness, their export opportunities have shrunk.

The long term outlook for Russia is grim indeed. There must be some capable people within the country that see this. I'm hopeful they will do something about it.
They will. They'll leave.

Reactions: kabin
  • Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Germany produced more tanks in 1944 and early 1945 than in 1939-43 combined, despite incessant bombing, loss of their ally Italy, etc. Russia has suffered almost no physical damage and has access to far more natural resources than Germany ever did. I fully expect their war production has grown and will continue to grow. All the more reason to stop all the foot-dragging and give Ukraine what they need.

Not sure. I found it via the reddit live thread which tends to filter for reliable sources but I haven't looked in any more detail

[live] /r/WorldNews Live Thread for the Russian Invasion of Ukraine

I read about six months ago that Russia was trying to expand military production, but they had a severe labor shortage. The pay in military production plants is not very good and Moscow wouldn't allow the plants to raise wages, so they had a lot of people work for a week and quit because the pay was bad for the amount of work required. Few plants were producing any more than they were at the beginning of the war.

The Russians have claimed tank production is way up, but when Perun did a deeper dive into the claims, most of the "production" was restoring old tanks taken out of storage. New T-90M production was about the same rate as it was in 2021.

Germany produced more tanks in 1944 and early 1945 than in 1939-43 combined, despite incessant bombing, loss of their ally Italy, etc. Russia has suffered almost no physical damage and has access to far more natural resources than Germany ever did. I fully expect their war production has grown and will continue to grow. All the more reason to stop all the foot-dragging and give Ukraine what they need.

Germany had a very well developed machine tool production capability. They were able to make the tools necessary to make weapons. As Allied bombing damage machine tools, they were also able to repair or replace them.

Russia has essentially no machine tool industry. They bought almost all their machine tools from Germany before the war and they have no access to those now. It's possible they have bought some machine tools from China, but China gets most of its machine tools from Germany and the United States too. China's machine tool industry is small.

Russia has a lot more oil than Germany had, and they do have a lot of other ingredients like iron ore, but they don't have the middle step industries to expand like Germany did. Germany not only had a well developed machine tool industry, they also were probably second in the world in metallurgy. Germany was able to produce high quality steel for guns and armor in quantity. The only country with more advanced metallurgy was the US. And Germany was ahead of the US in a few areas (they had some better specialty steel alloys).

Russia has almost no industry to make the alloys necessary to make high quality gun barrels. As a result their gun barrels are poor and wear out quickly. They only have a relative few sets of machine tools to bore out gun barrels and no access to more. Basically Germany is the only country in the world that makes the tools to bore large caliber gun barrels.

Germany was able to put slave labor from their newly conquered empire in their factories to make war goods. They also had a pool of skilled technicians to make the more complex parts.

Russia let their military industry atrophy after the USSR fell apart. They kept things going to some extent with foreign sales, but at a much lower volume than Soviet production. A lot of the Soviet production facilities ended up in other countries, a lot in Ukraine. Russia's education system has also fallen apart over the last 30 years. The last Russians to get a good comprehensive education are in their 50s now. That's the skilled technicians who are capable of making the more complex parts. The supply of them is diminishing and they are unable to train more because the kids coming along don't have the education.

The Russian production system has a lot of bottlenecks the Germans didn't have in WW II. The Russians probably have increased production a bit here and there, but I doubt it's booming.

Perun looked at the visually confirmed losses throughout the war. He pointed out if the Russians really were increasing production, we'd be seeing a lot of BMP-3 and T-90M losses. If Russian industry had completely failed we'd be seeing only old equipment. There are some losses of newer equipment indicating that Russia is making some new equipment, but the numbers of older stuff has been steadily increasing which is an indication that most of their losses are being replaced with older equipment from storage.

From the best hard data available (which isn't outstanding), the Russians appear to be making some new equipment, but losses are vastly greater than new production. They are limping along by tapping the huge inventory the USSR left behind, but the satellite photos are showing the reserve pool is shrinking fast.

House passes 45-day funding bill, likely avoiding a government shutdown

One of the things to get a 45 day bipartisan continuing resolution to pass the US House, funding in support of Ukraine was removed.

I know this is American politics, but it applies directly to Ukraine.

The politics of this are difficult. Kevin McCarthy is facing a vote to oust him by members of his own party. The Democrats struck a deal with him that if he brought up a separate vote next week to fund the Ukraine effort, the Democrats will vote to help him remain Speaker. In other words the Democrats have power over him to keep his promise.

The votes to support Ukraine are easily there. About half the Republican caucus supports Ukraine and very close to 100% of Democrats do, so the votes to fund the Ukraine effort are there. It just takes getting a bill on the floor of the House.

If McCarthy is removed, the House will probably be paralyzed until January 2025. The votes are not there to replace him with anyone (the Republicans are split on who should be Speaker) and the House can do no business at all unless there is a Speaker.

I know this is American politics, but it applies directly to Ukraine.

The politics of this are difficult. Kevin McCarthy is facing a vote to oust him by members of his own party. The Democrats struck a deal with him that if he brought up a separate vote next week to fund the Ukraine effort, the Democrats will vote to help him remain Speaker. In other words the Democrats have power over him to keep his promise.

The votes to support Ukraine are easily there. About half the Republican caucus supports Ukraine and very close to 100% of Democrats do, so the votes to fund the Ukraine effort are there. It just takes getting a bill on the floor of the House.

If McCarthy is removed, the House will probably be paralyzed until January 2025. The votes are not there to replace him with anyone (the Republicans are split on who should be Speaker) and the House can do no business at all unless there is a Speaker.
US Congress avoids government shutdown in last-minute deal
6 week deal with nothing for Ukraine.

It's more complicated than the media is saying. There is a $300 million bill that was passed after the omnibus bill for everything else. The Senate also has a $6 billion bill that will probably be in the House next week and the Democrats have leverage to make sure McCarthy puts it to a vote. The Pentagon also has $5.5 billion in left over funds to supply Ukraine with equipment from existing stockpiles.

What is gone is the money to pay US defense contractors to backfill weapons and ammunition already sent to Ukraine. The US military is hurt more by this than Ukraine.

Congress avoids government shutdown, drops Ukraine aid

Interesting read:
‘No turning back’: how the Ukraine war has profoundly changed the EU
1696137761777.png