Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's my absolute opinion that the Democratic West must do a lot more to stop this absolute madness. I am no military expert, but a total war economy ramp of artillery shell production and the kind of drones that UKR is asking for seem to be two obvious things that needs to happen ASAP.

And if the F-16s that has been donated only have a 60 km range radar, then that is also obviously not going to be enough to stop the Russian Dictator's Air Force from continuing to launch massive glide bombs.

Russia launches record number of kamikaze drones at Ukraine overnight Sat

25.11.2023 08:40

This night, the Russian invaders released a record number of Shahed-131/136 one-way attack drones at Ukraine.

That’s according to the Ukrainian Air Force, Ukrinform reports.

Kyiv was the main targets of the enemy attack. [...

The UKR Armed Forces allegedly shot down 71 out of the 75 out of the Russian Dictator's incoming targets. 40 of those targets were allegedly shot down over Kyiv.

In the 1990s several NATO countries had the radar on their F-16s upgraded to the APG-66(V)2A version which is limited to a range of 55 Km. USAF F-16s currently have the AN/APG-68 radar with 296 Km range. I don't know what sort of delays upgrading the radar would involve. It's the same plane, but there could be substantial work to replace the systems. The more advanced versions of the AN/APG-66 have a range of 150 Km, but I don't know if those were installed on the F-16 or not. The same radar is used by a number of aircraft.

Russia launches record number of kamikaze drones at Ukraine overnight Sat

25.11.2023 08:40

This night, the Russian invaders released a record number of Shahed-131/136 one-way attack drones at Ukraine.

That’s according to the Ukrainian Air Force, Ukrinform reports.

Kyiv was the main targets of the enemy attack. [...

The UKR Armed Forces allegedly shot down 71 out of the 75 out of the Russian Dictator's incoming targets. 40 of those targets were allegedly shot down over Kyiv.

What were used to shoot down the drones ? Hopefully not expensive/hard to replace munitions. There is a definite sub-plot to the attritional aspect of this war wherein the side that can use inexpensive, scalable munitions to force the other side to use expensive munitions to counter has a great advantage.

...] Germany’s leadership HAS been ambivalent about the war (several of their politicians are in Ru’s pocket) and the US led by Blinken have consistently spoon fed Ukr and have always been late in key weapons deliveries.

That needs to change. And in Democracies these things can change.

Some four days old from the German gov's own website:

Ukraine - 10 years since the Maidan protests

Germany backs Ukraine’s brave defence of its territory

Solidarity and deep friendship with Ukraine – this was the message from Federal Defence Minister Pistorius at Maidan Square in Kyiv, where he commemorated the “Heroes of the Maidan”. Federal Chancellor Scholz described the Maidan as a symbol of freedom, democracy and sovereignty.

Tuesday, 21 November 2023

[...] Defence Minister Pistorius said his visit expressed Germany’s “solidarity and deep friendship, but also our admiration for the brave, courageous struggle which took place here and involved heavy losses.” The Defence Minister pledged Germany’s ongoing support for Ukraine [My u.]. [...

What were used to shoot down the drones ? Hopefully not expensive/hard to replace munitions. There is a definite sub-plot to the attritional aspect of this war wherein the side that can use inexpensive, scalable munitions to force the other side to use expensive munitions to counter has a great advantage.

The Ukrainians now have much less expensive systems to shoot down drones. The Gepard has proven its worth in this role, though they are limited in numbers available. The Australians sent a prototype weapon aimed at shooting down drones on the cheap. There are also more EMP weapons in Ukraine now.

I expect a number of NATO countries are working on something akin to the Gepard for future anti-drone work. Those systems may not be available for this war though.

The Ukrainians now have much less expensive systems to shoot down drones.

Good to hear. My casual thinking is that drones are darn near invincible when produced in scale unless EW can take out fleets of them. I imagine a budget of $1B ($1E9) and a drone cost of $1E4. That is a fleet of 100,000

I'd like to see UKR start off by sending 100 drones to Moscow, and double that daily until Russia sues for peace. As for the future of warfare, I can imagine drones being the equivalent of nuclear arms*. Once unleashed in scale, mutual destruction is inevitable. There was a UKR drone instructor quoted here a while back who said that every UKR soldier should be a drone operator. It has taken me a while, but I think her words are prophetic.

* I realize that current drone tech is range limited, but I just don't think that will last long. It just seems too easy to launch them from altitude and/or with high initial velocity. Easy to pick off one lazy gliding drone, but 100,000 ?

I realize that current drone tech is range limited, but I just don't think that will last long. It just seems too easy to launch them from altitude and/or with high initial velocity. Easy to pick off one lazy gliding drone, but 100,000 ?

Drone warfare has been a goal for decades. It's only with the advent of drone swarms [GAO pdf] that the technology of mass production wins out: (and emerges from the realm of Science Fiction)

Ender's Game: Final Simulation | YouTube (Aug 06, 2017)

From the mind of the Russian Military Dictator:..

New version of russian PFM-1 aka “butterfly” anti-personnel mines has been deployed en masse by russian invaders in Ukraine

EDIT: Inserting this tweet doesn't work.

It's from this verified account on Twitter/X:

@walter_report

I can't insert the picture either. The tweet was posted yesterday.

Last edited:
From the mind of the Russian Military Dictator:..

New version of russian PFM-1 aka “butterfly” anti-personnel mines has been deployed en masse by russian invaders in Ukraine

EDIT: Inserting this tweet doesn't work.

It's from this verified account on Twitter/X:

@walter_report

I can't insert the picture either. The tweet was posted yesterday.

Trying a different Twitter-account... [That seems to have worked...]

@TrentTelenko

I'm no 3D/AM expert, but that casing looks like either 3D/AM or plastic injection moulding.

And I'm not seeing anything that looks like a sprue mark for this Russian “butterfly” anti-personnel mine.

This is technical evidence of a new mine production line in Russia, either way.

The 'sack of potatoes' have been mentioned a couple of times in this thread...

But as I understand it, if there is no body, then the serf is merely missing... It allegedly takes ten years(!) until 'a missing' serf is declared dead in Russia. And let's just say that it wouldn't surprise me if the Russian Dictator can find additional ways to delay handing over a sack of potatoes...

All according to this source (in Swedish):

More evidence that Ukraine has been successful in destroying Russian air defense systems.

The British Defense Ministry reports Russia is now withdrawing air defense systems from Kaliningrad. A few months ago it was from the Russian Far East.

The Kremlin has likely moved a number of strategic air defense systems from its Baltic Sea base at Kaliningrad to the current front lines in Ukraine to "backfill recent losses," the British Defense Ministry wrote in its latest update.

Russia's NATO risk highlights "overstretch" caused by war: UK