Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know how credible this is, but Charter 97, which allegedly is as oppositional Belarusian site of some sort, writes that the US has given an ultimatum to the Putler the Russian Dictator regarding UKR. The US message to the Kremlin was that if they systematically hit Ukraine's energy system this winter, the US will give ATACMS to Ukraine and allow UKR to target inside the Russian borders as they were after the fall of the USSR in 1991.

Source in Swedish (the link to that Charter 97 site can be found on this Swedish page):

Last edited:
How about that Division-sized leaguer w. 80K troops forming up near Avdiivka? Donesk is one of the 4 'break-away' oblast-cum-republics now claimed by Russia, but ceeded by Russia to Ukraine in 1991. No take-back-skie's, mad vlad.

80K is more than a division. A Russian division is about 8K. Most other armies have larger divisions in the range of 10K to 15K.

Most of the men of Donesk and Luhansk are dead at this point. The Russians got them killed before they started using prisoners as cannon fodder.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
TMC can be viewed even without an account and arguably is far more informative than Twitter in general for deeper discussions. I opened an account here because I wanted to comment here, but I have zero desire to tweet so had no desire to open an account. That they closed it up makes me desire it even less, because it's an even more closed platform than before.

Yes on TMC you get the digested content, so don't shoot the messengers/messages ;)

Reactions: EVCollies
Yes on TMC you get the digested content, so don't shoot the messengers/messages ;)
I would say the messenger shooting started here and is also present in spades in the tweet being quoted:
Wikipedia and WaPo (too) are probably riddled by Kremlin agents. Don't take them too seriously.

Anyways, I've made my point with evidence about the quality of the sources as well as digging up the original source for Navalny's comments and the only rebuttal I see being posted are some vague comments about certain media being infiltrated by Kremlin agents with nothing to indicate Navalny didn't make those comments nor that there is any issue with the translation of the comments he made.

I don't know how credible this is, but Charter 97, which allegedly is as oppositional Belarusian site of some sort, writes that the US has given an ultimatum to the Putler the Russian Dictator regarding UKR. The US message to the Kremlin was that if they systematically hit Ukraine's energy system this winter, the US will give ATACMS to Ukraine and allow UKR to target inside the Russian borders as they were after the fall of the USSR in 1991.

Source in Swedish (the link to that Charter 97 site can be found on this Swedish page):

I think there's some kind of translation error there. Pairing "strikes within Russia" with "1991 borders" doesn't make sense.

Maybe they mean they'll give Ukraine the go ahead to strike anywhere in the 1991 borders of Ukraine which would include Crimea but I thought we already gave them the green light for that.

Reactions: madodel
I think there's some kind of translation error there. Pairing "strikes within Russia" with "1991 borders" doesn't make sense.

Maybe they mean they'll give Ukraine the go ahead to strike anywhere in the 1991 borders of Ukraine which would include Crimea but I thought we already gave them the green light for that.

There is no translation error. The original source is in English. Yes – they were green lit long ago to strike Crimea since Crimea is UKR. 'The new thing' here – if accurate that is – is that the US would green light UKR to hit targets inside of Russia with ATACMS if Putler the Russian Dictator were to resume to systematically target UKR energy infrastructure.

There is no translation error. The original source is in English. Yes – they were green lit long ago to strike Crimea since Crimea is UKR. 'The new thing' here – if accurate that is – is that the US would green light UKR to hit targets inside of Russia with ATACMS if Putler the Russian Dictator were to resume to systematically target UKR energy infrastructure.
On that note, as I believe others here may have posted, there is a crowd-funded effort "Safe Skies" that aims to protect Ukrainian energy infrastructure (and all other targets). It is promoted by the well-known Ukraine historian Prof. Timothy Snyder. In their first run, they got enough donations to help protect 4 oblasts. They are currently raising to try to cover 4 more IIRC.
It is a defensive system in that it only tracks objects in the sky. This system itself does not do any shooting; it just does detection.
Apologies if inappropriate (delete if necessary) but many here have said "something should be done" - we can help do something right now to help Ukraine's skies.

From Synder's substack:
Some of you helped. Last year, many of you joined me in a United24 project to fund the development and the early implementation of an anti-drone system to protect Ukrainian civilians. As you might have noticed, the Ukrainian armed forces did indeed become very good at detecting and destroying Russian drones, especially the Iranian-made Shahed kamikaze systems.
I want to emphasize the moral simplicity of this. Russia has attacked Ukraine and commits war crime after war crime. The system we are funding, which I have seen myself, is one of passive detection. It locates drones and cruise missiles while they are in the air over Ukraine, thereby giving the Ukrainians a chance to halt the instruments of Russian murder and terror -- and to preserve life.

Full link to Substack is here, with a full description of the system. The donation link is all the way at the bottom of the Substack post (well worth reading).
Safe Skies

On that note, as I believe others here may have posted, there is a crowd-funded effort "Safe Skies" that aims to protect Ukrainian energy infrastructure (and all other targets). It is promoted by the well-known Ukraine historian Prof. Timothy Snyder. In their first run, they got enough donations to help protect 4 oblasts. They are currently raising to try to cover 4 more IIRC.
It is a defensive system in that it only tracks objects in the sky. This system itself does not do any shooting; it just does detection.
Apologies if inappropriate (delete if necessary) but many here have said "something should be done" - we can help do something right now to help Ukraine's skies.

From Synder's substack:

Full link to Substack is here, with a full description of the system. The donation link is all the way at the bottom of the Substack post (well worth reading).
Safe Skies
Thanks...donated and shared.

From Synder's substack:

Safe Skies
This doesn't look ideal for receiving contributions from our DAFs which we all should have funded with our highly appreciated TSLA shares. Safe Skies and United24 isn't a 501c3 itself, but it seems connected with a pretty new and small 501c3 called Ukraine House DC

run by Danylo Volynets -- presumably not the soccer player? Danylo Volynets - Wikipedia

but perhaps this guy? Volynets - Participants - 15th YES Annual Meeting: “The Next Generation of Everything” - YES Annual Meetings - Yalta European Strategy (YES)

?

This doesn't look ideal for receiving contributions from our DAFs which we all should have funded with our highly appreciated TSLA shares. Safe Skies and United24 isn't a 501c3 itself, but it seems connected with a pretty new and small 501c3 called Ukraine House DC

run by Danylo Volynets -- presumably not the soccer player? Danylo Volynets - Wikipedia

but perhaps this guy? Volynets - Participants - 15th YES Annual Meeting: “The Next Generation of Everything” - YES Annual Meetings - Yalta European Strategy (YES)

?
You lost me at DAF's? But I did notice that the Safe Skies domain is the Ukrainian government domain, for what it's worth, if that is helpful in any way. Someone with more fiscal moxie will have to respond about DAF's.

You lost me at DAF's
sorry -- donor advised fund. What is a donor-advised fund? Home | Vanguard Charitable

A DAF is the easiest way to give to charity, especially for those with highly appreciated securities -- donate/transfer your TSLA to your DAF at Schwab or Fidelity or whatever, and you get the tax deduction at the fair market value of the shares, and avoid paying the capital gains tax on the appreciation -- a double tax benefit.

So to fund organizations I often look to make grants from my DAF (funded with TSLA) which requires knowing the exact corporate name and ideally the tax id number of the charity and I noticed that the United24 thing didn't seems to be its own 501c3 corporation, but used a "partner".

Do not shoot me - I'm just the messenger.

TMC Administrators take a very dim view of using this platform for any fund- or assistance-raising. It is one of the actions expressly prohibited in TMC's Terms Of Conduct. I - and, by extension, other Mods who look in or participate in this thread from time to time - am/are not going to extinguish the above posts....if and only if there are zero more. If there are, then ALL will be deleted.

Afterthought addendum: by a bizarre coincidence, I had my own knuckles rapped over this almost a decade ago when I had the noble thought of assisting an impoverished dog musher through TMC.

Q: Why coincidental?

A: Because the musher is a Ukrainian immigrant.

UPDATE: That didn't take long. As of Sat. afternoon, someone decided my Warnings didn't apply to him.

Last edited:
Found this interesting. It may not be 'perfect' – but what is?... And I'm of course not an expert either – she is after all making a living on the subject... The first part of the segment is about her own experience living part time in Kharkiv. It's of course interesting and important, but the bigger picture discussion follows after that 'opening part'. A part of it is about Putler the Russian Dictator supporting extremist right wing groups – for instance in Slovakia but also in the UK. But it's also about sentiments towards the war and the Dictator in the younger population in Russia that still remain in the country.

This on the other hand is blatant propaganda from a person that's being interviewed from Moscow(!)... It's just unbelivably bad really. I guess I'm lost for words disappointed and [bleep] off.

I know I've berated them previously in this thread. You would think that they would eventually 'find some kind of working moral compass', but obviously not...

• Informative
Reactions: iPlug and navguy12
Last edited: