Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Volod having a pow wow with members of the House.
The event was attended by: Chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence Mike Turner (Republican Party), House Democratic Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries, Honorable Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (Democratic Party), members of the House of Representatives from the Republican Party Joe Wilson, Brett Guthrie, Ann Wagner, Neal Dunn, Brian Fitzpatrick, Claudia Tenney and from the Democratic Party – Gerald Connolly, Adam Smith, Gregory Meeks, Jim Himes, Brendan Boyle, Donald Norcross, Jason Crow, Mikie Sherrill, Veronica Escobar.

Pelosi knows how to take a pic. Instead of standing stiff next to people she grabs Zelensky's arm.
1708231807701.png

What happens if these congressmen resign – say for some personal reason or whatever? Does the GOP get to appoint a new member of Congress or will there be an election to fill that seat? Will Congress be 'operational' when the seat is vacant or do they shut down that chamber until the seat gets filled again?

If they can resign and Congress remains 'operational' while the seat is vacant – then maybe that could be a way to protest against these bullies. Seems the GOP's majority in the House is pretty slim...

Both houses can stay in session as long as there is a quorum. In both as long as a bare minimum of the house is present, it can do business. That's 51 in the Senate and 218 in the House. Frequently a handful of members of both houses are out for one reason or another. My House representative was out for almost 2 years back around 2015 because she had a bad pregnancy and a special needs kid who needed a lot of special care in its first couple of years.

The two houses work differently for replacements. For the Senate, the governor of the state appoints a replacement. Some state laws require the replacement to be from the same party as the leaving senator, some have no rules. The state will have a special election within some period of time. That varies from state to state too. Some states require a special election in only a couple of months, others can allow a year or more. There will be two special elections for Senators in November. One for a Republican seat in Nebraska who resigned a year ago, the other is a Democratic seat in California for Diane Feinstein's seat because she died. The seats are currently held by appointees of the same party.

The House works differently. If someone resigns or dies, the seat remains vacant until someone is elected in a special election to replace them until the next general election. Sometimes the person will only serve a few months. There was a special election in New York last week. That was to fill a seat by a member who was expelled from the House. One is coming up to fill the seat that was held by Kevin McCarthy, the Speaker who got turfed out. McCarthy could have remained in the House, but he quit. There is another open seat in Ohio that will be filled with a special election this summer.

As far as resigning in protest. There are seats that would probably flip in a special election like the New York seat did, but most seats are not competitive. Of the 435 voting seats in the House, only about 10% are in play in general elections. The way the Republican party is now, more moderate Republicans would only get replaced by more extreme people in many districts.

The new people who are running for office in the Republican party are getting more and more extreme each election cycle. My congresswoman was one of the most moderate Republicans in the House from 2010 to 2022 when she got a primary challenge by someone way out on the extremes. He lost the general election to a Democrat, but it was a tight race. He's running again this year.

For most of the people who are not happy with the House bullies and would vote for things like the border bill and the funding for Ukraine and Israel, their leaving would guarantee a vote against those bills by whoever replaces them.

Why does this guy sound like Peskov, Medvedev and Lavrov, are they related, or do they have him by his balls? Or perhaps they are pals from the same boat club?

Nevertheless, would be interesting to see a combined roast&rebuttal of this by Grok.

Some rebuttals by Bing:
  • The war in Ukraine is not about lies but stems from the Ukrainian people wanting to protect their country from Russian aggression. It began partly in 2014 when Russia took control of Crimea and supported separatists in eastern Ukraine, breaking international laws and agreements.
  • Ukraine, despite being smaller and less equipped, is holding its own against Russia. It has limited the conflict to a specific area and inflicted losses on the Russian-backed forces. The international community, especially the US and NATO allies, is supporting Ukraine with sanctions on Russia, military aid, and joint actions.
  • The war is not weakening NATO; it's making the alliance stronger (and larger). NATO's collective defense principle is proving crucial, leading to increased readiness and cooperation among its members. The alliance is investing more in its capabilities and infrastructure for better defense against emerging threats.
  • Russia is not suffering fewer casualties than Ukraine, but hiding them from the public. Russia has consistently denied or downplayed its direct involvement in the war, and has concealed the true number and identity of its soldiers and mercenaries who have been killed or wounded in action.
  • While the US and itsallies have been supportive financially and by other means, Ukraine needs to address internal issues like corruption and governance for long-term stability.

Last edited:
The usual garbage from Sack o' . But "lies about how it started"? Really, even for him, that's incredible.
I did not know:
  • David Sachs is a prominent economist and professor at Columbia University, who has been involved in advising several countries on economic reforms, including Russia in the 1990s
  • Perhaps he was advised by KGB back then, and/or doesn't want to admit his own failure/advice leading to Oligarchs taking over Russia?

I did not know:
  • David Sachs is a prominent economist and professor at Columbia University, who has been involved in advising several countries on economic reforms, including Russia in the 1990s
  • Perhaps he was advised by KGB back then, and/or doesn't want to admit his own failure/advice leading to Oligarchs taking over Russia?

Could the Russian Dictator possibly have some dirt on him?...

I did not know:
Could the Russian Dictator possibly have some dirt on him?...

Maybe the Russian Dictator is paying Sacks and/or Sachs in Bitcoin or something...

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: madodel and DrGriz
Paywalled:

Kremlin runs disinformation campaign to undermine Zelensky, documents show

According to WaPo, the Russian Dictator is allegedly paying ~39,000 USD for articles pushing the Dictator's lies, misinformation and propaganda.

Source in Swedish:

This account on X apparently checks out Russian Telegram for indications on how the Russian Dictator's economy is doing.

Allegedly:

...] According to the Etazhi company, housing in Russia fell in price by 56% over the month. The largest price reduction in Moscow - prices fell by 66% of lots. Reason: there are not many buyers with a large share of their own funds on the market now. [My u.] [...

twitter.com/Beefeater_Fella/status/1759172042862067765?s=20

New rule, all. And woe to he who somehow forgets to read and heed Moderator dicta.

In an effort to keep discussion at a reasoned, dispassionate, and - yes - adult level, there will be no more overt ridiculing of others by changing their names. This applies not just to persons but to institutions, countries, news organizations - everything.
There are no more Putlers, no more Sucks, no more Faux News, no more Ruzzias - none of it.

When you see an article in Foreign Affairs or in The Atlantic that does otherwise, bring it to my attention and I will rescind this rule.

Separately, if you are going to be taken seriously, get your names and people straight BEFORE you write your post, let alone send it. Those who don’t now Sachs from Sacks….and in this forum above all others? That is pitiful

New rule, all. And woe to he who somehow forgets to read and heed Moderator dicta.

In an effort to keep discussion at a reasoned, dispassionate, and - yes - adult level, there will be no more overt ridiculing of others by changing their names. This applies not just to persons but to institutions, countries, news organizations - everything.
There are no more Putlers, no more Sucks, mo more Faux News, no more Ruzzias - none of it.

When you see an article in Foreign Affairs or in The Atlantic that does otherwise, bring it to my attention and I will rescind this rule.

Separately, if you are going to be taken seriously, get your names and people straight BEFORE you write your post, let alone send it. Those who don’t now Sachs from Sacks….and in this forum above all others? That is pitiful

We should be allowed to hallucinate a bit. ;)

Reactions: Dave EV and DanCar
but nonetheless I'm taking everything from the Toronto Star with a hefty chunk of salt...
I have had a paid subscription, for the past 30 years, to this particular news source; I have always understood it be editorially left of center but never untrustworthy of published stories.

Edit: grammar

Last edited: