Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't think I can embed this tweet due to forum rules, but you can copy/paste the link below to get to the tweet. Might be Is probably NSFW...

Allegedly:

...] Absolutely hilarious comment on North Korea shells by a Russian soldier

The shells cause destruction among the Russian artillery units because they are unbalanced

'The person responsible for supplying this crap is clearly a member of the LGBTQ+ community with a clear bias towards [redacted by yours truly]' [...

x.com/PStyle0ne1/status/1794778251660808410

Don't remember if this has been posted already...

Allegedly:

Now confirmed, Ukrainian Air Force fighters have been modified to carry US-supplied GBU-39 SDB precision guided glide bombs

This Fulcrum appears to be fitted with a pair of BRU-61 Carriage Systems, allowing it to carry up to *8* SDBs.

x.com/Osinttechnical/status/1794348473460097169

Russia made a successful strike taking out a Ukrainian hardware store.

Video from inside Kharkiv store captures deadly explosions from Russian strike

Unfortunately though – at least 16 Ukrainians were killed and 44 more injured in that strike. Eight more people were considered missing as of some time yesterday.

Knocking out Russia's nuclear attack early warning systems has to have Putin worried.
Quote: A Ukrainian HUR drone attacked the Orsk long-range, over-the-horizon aerial surveillance radar facility more than 1,800 km deep into Russia, upping Putin regime’s area of vulnerability to Kyiv UAVs.

Unfortunately though – at least 16 Ukrainians were killed and 44 more injured in that strike. Eight more people were considered missing as of some time yesterday.

Wholly agree, but it displays the utter cluelessness of Russian command as with their NAZI forebears, who go after civilians instead of military targets. Fear usually have the opposite reaction of what they think. In the end this utter cruelty and stupidity will lose them the war they are so stupid they can't even admit is a war and a genocide. Idiots can keep demanding that Ukraine give in, but ongoing acts like this make that pretty much impossible. If the invaders are going to kill you no matter what, you may as well eliminate as many of them as you can first.

Videos of new Kyiv pedestrian bridge.

Gleb Irisov, a former Russian air force lieutenant who left the military in 2020, said he had spoken with an FSB source before the arrests who told him that the purge in the defence ministry would be prompted mainly by its failures in Ukraine.

The overall quality of the military suffered because funds were routinely embezzled,” he said. “Military exercises often existed only on paper, as the allocated money was siphoned off.”

Someone more versed in the topic please help me understand this: SDBs and ATACMS use GPS to find their way to any given target. So the Russians just jam GPS where they don't want their high value targets to be hit. A couple questions come to mind:

When these weapons were procured, didn't anyone account for the possibility that GPS could/would be jammed?

Long before GPS even existed, US cruise missiles used terrain following guidance to fly to designated locations. My $200 cell phone can take a picture of a plant and tells me what the plant is. How is it that million $ missiles can't fly to a rough location and have software autonomously identify the most compelling target and take it out?

RT

Someone more versed in the topic please help me understand this: SDBs and ATACMS use GPS to find their way to any given target. So the Russians just jam GPS where they don't want their high value targets to be hit. A couple questions come to mind:

When these weapons were procured, didn't anyone account for the possibility that GPS could/would be jammed?

Long before GPS even existed, US cruise missiles used terrain following guidance to fly to designated locations. My $200 cell phone can take a picture of a plant and tells me what the plant is. How is it that million $ missiles can't fly to a rough location and have software autonomously identify the most compelling target and take it out?

RT
The main weapons having problems are GLSDBs, apparently. The biggest culprit may be Boeing.

Once world class, these days corner cutting is the rule such that civilian and military products are having serious operational problems. Just a little more thought and expense prevents many problems. Penny wise, pound foolish...

Aside, such weapons need to have radio programming/hardware updates frequently:

“The life cycle of a radio in Ukraine is only about three months before it needs to be reprogrammed or swapped out as the Russians optimize their electronic warfare against it,” Mr. Patt wrote in his testimony. “The peak efficiency of a new weapon system is only about two weeks before countermeasures emerge.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/25/...e_code=1.vE0._YXy.0muAh_xJv69a&smid=url-share

Last edited:
... SDBs and ATACMS use GPS to find their way to any given target. So the Russians just jam GPS where they don't want their high value targets to be hit. A couple questions come to mind:

The U.S. probably has small diameter bombs with terrain navigation. Ukraine just gets the old and cheap stuff. ATACMS where designed ~30 years ago. ATACMS replacement.
These missiles / rockets fly at ~ mach 2 so your cell phone wouldn't see anything at that speed. If it did recognize something it would be a mile behind current location.

Food for thought:
Why do so many russian rockets miss their targets? Is it because U.S. / Ukraine is also jamming GPS?

Last edited:
Last edited:
IMG_2229.jpeg

IMG_2230.jpeg

IMG_2231.jpeg

IMG_2232.jpeg

IMG_2233.jpeg

IMG_2234.jpeg

From Trent Telenko on X. Allegedly:

I've seen a lot of accounts touting this Bain and Company consulting report Sky News is publicizing about Russians beating the West 3-to-1 shell production.

I don't buy it because the text shows a lot of typical consulting tricks (See text [below]) ...

Russian shell crisis [tread]
1/

x.com/TrentTelenko/status/1794812519724511268

This makes more sense than the video on Russian artillery production that was posted here yesterday. Russia has ramped up production, but I think Trent makes some good observations here.

There is a lot of hand wringing about the volume of Russian artillery, and it is a problem, but Russian artillery is vastly less accurate than western artillery. They require a lot more artillery shots to destroy a target than western systems do. The Ukrainians may not be able to match Russia in artillery volume, but they can beat Russia in accuracy by a large margin.

Russia had zero artillery gun barrel production at the beginning of this war, and they may have started up production again, but Russian steel is inferior to the top grades of German and American steel. That's why a new M109s can fire more artillery rounds before needing to replace the barrel.

I have seen satellite photos of Russian vehicle storage. There are a lot of SP artillery without any barrels.

RT

The Storm Shadow/Scalp and ATACMS are hitting their targets without any problems because they do have back up guidance systems. Most arms fielded by the US that have guidance systems have back ups because planners foresaw that an enemy with anti-satellite capability could take out the GPS system in orbit.

As well as considerations for battlefield jamming. Though jamming is less of a concern for US war planning because of the large investment in HARM capability in the USAF as well as other air arms of the US military. Any battlefield jamming system would immediately become a target for AGM-88s from Wild Weasel anti-radiation aircraft.

The main weapons having problems are GLSDBs, apparently. The biggest culprit may be Boeing.

Once world class, these days corner cutting is the rule such that civilian and military products are having serious operational problems. Just a little more thought and expense prevents many problems. Penny wise, pound foolish...

Aside, such weapons need to have radio programming/hardware updates frequently:

“The life cycle of a radio in Ukraine is only about three months before it needs to be reprogrammed or swapped out as the Russians optimize their electronic warfare against it,” Mr. Patt wrote in his testimony. “The peak efficiency of a new weapon system is only about two weeks before countermeasures emerge.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/25/...e_code=1.vE0._YXy.0muAh_xJv69a&smid=url-share

The GLSDB was slapped together by Saab and Boeing as a fast and cheap way to get glide bombs to the Ukrainians. Boeing does have a lot of problems. I left Boeing just as the problems were starting. John Oliver did a great piece on Boeing's decline a couple of months ago. It's on YouTube now and I would recommend it.

But the shortcomings of the GLSDB are not so much a problem of Boeing's decline but of oversights because the program was thrown together so quickly.

More juice:

The beginning of an imperial overstretch and imminent collapse?

It's like the new gold rush, new perestroika, everyone for themselves ... new fortunes and power structures to be made ...

Authoritarian regimes look strong until suddenly everything unravels in a short time. Predicting when Russia will unravel is difficult. The Russian people will tolerate a lot more pain than western countries before they push back.

I think someone here posted something leaked from Russia that their internal security forces are badly understaffed. When the public aren't rebelling, that isn't a problem, but it will become a problem if widespread protests against the war start.

Lithuania’s foreign minister, Gabrielius Landsbergis, told reporters in Brussels that analysis showed Hungary had blocked nearly half of all declarations on Ukraine since Russia invaded in 2022.

“I think we have to be transparent as to what Hungary’s position currently is,” he said. “We looked into this and about 41% of resolutions by the EU on Ukraine have been blocked by Hungary. The European Peace Facility (EPF) is blocked ... Ukrainian accession talks are being held hostage by Hungary.”

Landsbergis added: “I could go on and on - the declaration on Georgia, Armenia. So basically, almost all of our discussions, needed solutions and decisions by the EU are being blocked by just one country.”

Don't really know what to make of this... Seriously Disappointing regardless.

...] "We have been urged by the other countries in the [fighter] coalition to wait with the Gripen system," [Swedish Defense Minister Pål] Jonson told TT in Brussels [TT is a Swedish news agency], adding: "This has to do with the fact that the focus is now on introducing the F-16 system." [...