Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I linked a news story to this thread from Business Insider and it got removed because it was from "unreliable source". I find that strange. BI is a media which has over 500 employees. It is not some sketchy blog.

Of course that article may or may not be wrong, but I find it strange to delete it.

The article was about why Starlink is not working in the occupied areas.
Again,
Business Insider is a publication from Axel Springer.

One of their biggest magazines is AutoBild. For which Volkswagen AG is the biggest advertiser.

Surprise? Don't think so....

Has Starlink even been active in Crimea so far?
Makes sense that it wouldn't have been, since the area has been under occupation. I mean, how would they get the antennas there without them falling into Russian hands?

So.. to disable something, it means it would be enabled first. Do we have any info about this?
There is reason to believe that Ukraine special forces have terminals that can use Starlink in Russian-occupied areas, but that other Starlink terminals will not work in those areas.

There is reason to believe that this includes Crimea.

There is reason to believe that Starlink cells are enabled for all of the areas of Ukraine that are controlled by regular Ukraine forces.

There is reason to believe that Starlink sometimes has to enable additional cells for coverage when Ukraine retakes territory, and that this explains why during some rapid advances regular Ukraine forces will sometimes complain their terminals don't work.

SpaceX and Starlink have to operate within parameters that are set by the US government.

A history lesson from Kamil Galeev:

There is reason to believe that Ukraine special forces have terminals that can use Starlink in Russian-occupied areas, but that other Starlink terminals will not work in those areas.

There is reason to believe that this includes Crimea.

There is reason to believe that Starlink cells are enabled for all of the areas of Ukraine that are controlled by regular Ukraine forces.

There is reason to believe that Starlink sometimes has to enable additional cells for coverage when Ukraine retakes territory, and that this explains why during some rapid advances regular Ukraine forces will sometimes complain their terminals don't work.

SpaceX and Starlink have to operate within parameters that are set by the US government.
Thank you. And this has been observed in a number of tweets on Twitter. That’s why I’m struggling to understand the tweets made by Michael MacKay and Thomas C. Theiner, who usually post things considered to be informative and reliable. Weird. I no longer fully trust their tweets. Elon is far from perfect, but the things being ascribed to him don’t add up, especially with information such as this. Btw, this phenomenon on twitter (I will call it a flash mob), needs a control mechanism, because otherwise it can cause problems. It is not just a bot problem. Just saying..

Thank you. And this has been observed in a number of tweets on Twitter. That’s why I’m struggling to understand the tweets made by Michael MacKay and Thomas C. Theiner, who usually post things considered to be informative and reliable. Weird. I no longer fully trust their tweets. Elon is far from perfect, but the things being ascribed to him don’t add up, especially with information such as this. Btw, this phenomenon on twitter (I will call it a flash mob), needs a control mechanism, because otherwise it can cause problems. It is not just a bot problem. Just saying..
Free speech sure is great until it criticizes Elon. Then there needs to be a "control mechanism".

Good lord.

Since russian hackers and propagandists have discovered how to post and leave no trace of who the original poster was it is very important to be ever more vigilant and skeptical in what we believe from the posts we read. The confusion about the Crimean bridge attack and damage is one such area. Be careful because the information in so many posts are totally wrong. Ignorance or propaganda, who knows for sure.

Free speech sure is great until it criticizes Elon. Then there needs to be a "control mechanism".

Good lord.
Ha - if you took it that way, either I miscommunicated or you read into it. Let’s try it again.

Let’s take the Starlink accusation, namely that Elon purposely turned off StarLink, which coincidentally happened after the negative reactions to his poll on Twitter. Accusations made on Twitter around causality.

Tweets from multiple sources saying what @petit_bateau posted up thread, that the accusation is wrong and explaining what really happened. Including one from Elon, but let’s leave his out because some might argue his shouldn’t be trusted. And yet, if he didn’t tweet a reply, many would argue the absence of a reply is an admission of guilt.

My point, was Twitter creates a flash mob effect for tweets. When something that appears to be untrue and is damaging (do you not think the Starlink allegation is damaging?), how do you stop the chain?

Whether it is Elon or some other area related to Ukraine (and there have been others), it is a problem.

And why would I want to stop the chain? Again social media dynamics. Instead of the possibility of someone being wrong, and our accepting that, the social media flash mob effect creates a pile-on to the point where now nothing Elon says or does should be trusted. Personally I find that counter productive for Ukraine and for “the mission.”

Another data point on Twitter, Karen Rei frequently calls out Elon when she sees a tweet that is wrong and damaging, and she does the same to others who post do the same to some of Elon’s tweets where she thinks he’s right and those hurling negative comments are wrong. She is one voice, but doesn’t carry the following that those posting wrong comments do.

As I said, you read my intent wrong. Is this clearer?

Edited to remove a double negative. @AudubonB would approve:)

Last edited:
Ha - if you took it that way, either I miscommunicated or you read into it. Let’s try it again.

Let’s take the Starlink accusation, namely that Elon purposely turned off StarLink, which coincidentally happened after the negative reactions to his poll on Twitter. Accusations made on Twitter around causality.

Tweets from multiple sources saying what @petit_bateau posted up thread, that the accusation is wrong and explaining what really happened. Including one from Elon, but let’s leave his out because some might argue his shouldn’t be trusted. And yet, if he didn’t tweet a reply, many would argue the absence of a reply is an admission of guilt.

My point, was Twitter creates a flash mob effect for tweets. When something that appears to be untrue and is damaging (do you not think the Starlink allegation is not damaging?), how do you stop the chain?

Whether it is Elon or some other area related to Ukraine (and there have been others), it is a problem.

As I said, you read my intent wrong. Is this clearer?
Clearer. Thank you.

Free speech sure is great until it criticizes Elon.
The problem (or potential problem) is not criticism but outright lies that cause material damage. There are already slander and libel laws in place to help prevent this. Rob Maurer of Tesla Daily speculated that these reports may have caused TSLA to tank yesterday.

I noticed a YT channel, that I consider reliable, repeat these claims as "breaking news". There was a lot of piling on in the comments with people using this "news" to confirm their feelings of animosity toward Elon.

If this was intentional then it was a brilliant use of the classic political tactic attack your enemy's strength. In this case Elon's strength in demonstrating his support for Ukraine was supplying Starlink.

Last edited:
I've seen a number of these 'experts' say stuff that is plain wrong. I think that they do not always understand when their own personal domain expertise ends. And in the rush to remain relevant they inevitably pick up duff info and regurgitate the errors. There is some complete horlicks being spouted out there.

I include Musk in this category in some areas. But obviously not on the Starlink matter, where really he is more constrained in what he can say because a) he actually does know exactly, and b) he is subject to restrictions in what he is allowed to say and c) moral issues will also cause him to be reticent.

I haven't been able to read everything in this thread, but I haven't seen this posted...

How concerning is this?

On Sunday, General Mike Mullen, the former chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, appeared on ABC This Week.
MICHAEL MULLEN: It also speaks to the need, I think, to get to the table. I’m a little concerned about the language, which we’re about at the top, if you will.
MARTHA RADDATZ: President Biden’s language.
MICHAEL MULLEN: President Biden’s language. We’re about at the top of the language scale, if you will. And I think we need to back off that a little bit and do everything we possibly can to try to get to the table to resolve this thing. /...

Don't think there's a way to embed this ~5 min video. Here's the link:

EDIT: I find American Mainstream Media 'fascinating'... They have someone like Mullen on and all he gets is 5:13 minutes of airtime. Got to crank out those advertisements i guess...

Last edited:
That's inaccurate, Turkish is in the Turkic languages group. Uralic and Turkic have their own distinct proto languages, and any convergence prior to that would be beyond speculative.
You are right. I was wrong. Left graduate school in linguistics in 1975. I must have left all my learning at that time. Not being sarcastic, I looked it up and I misremembered.

And 'Democracy Now!' keeps pushing the Kremlin Propaganda:

Here's a transcript if anyone is interested:...

EDIT: "Democracy Now!"... Apparently not for the parts of Ukraine that the Dictator occupies.... Nor for Russia...

Last edited:
I haven't been able to read everything in this thread, but I haven't seen this posted...

How concerning is this?

On Sunday, General Mike Mullen, the former chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, appeared on ABC This Week.

I think Mike Mullen is 100% wrong. We need to take Putin's nuclear threat seriously and we need to let him know we take it seriously. As I may have mentioned elsewhere in regard to Elon's appeasement tweets, appeasing Russia because they have nukes or threaten to use nukes is precisely what got us into this mess in the first place. It won't get us out.

To answer your question, Mullen is already retired so I'm not too concerned about his opinion even though voicing it does bring us closer to WW-3. In a nutshell: do not reward bad behavior or the threat of bad behavior. I know some people who inadvertently trained their dog to steal items from their guests. The dog would steal, the hosts would be horrified and they would bribe the dog to come out so they could get the item back.

How concerning is this?

EDIT: I find American Mainstream Media 'fascinating'... They have someone like Mullen on and all he gets is 5:13 minutes of airtime. Got to crank out those advertisements i guess...
It’s been pointed out a number of times by others here and elsewhere, that “to get to the table,” presupposes a willingness to really negotiate and to do so in good faith. There have been too many examples of Russia demonstrating bad faith; in fact, the only example I can think of as an example of good faith negotiation was the prisoner swap. Anyone else have others since 2014? Additionally I don’t see how one just ignores the war crimes. It’s not just right and wrong. It’s also establishing rules for countries to abide by, which in this case occurs with demonstrating consequences of actions.

Not saying, there might be some merit in leaving a little room for Russia to say, we’d like to talk, but the bar has to be very high, like we are leaving Ukraine and returning forcibly taken citizens, and paying reparations. Not, we keep our prizes and agree to nothing else but promise not to invade the next time we feel like it.

We have to recognize that Putin is a criminal and probably psychotic. How do you negotiate in good faith with psychotic criminals?

First, you recognize that "criminal" is in the eyes of the one writing the laws.
Second, you abstain from using psychiatric terms you do not understand.

Putin is almost certainly in the spectrum of a borderline personality.. I put him in the same basket as Hitler, Pot, Genghis Khan, Trump, Kim, and Mafia bosses. Successful "Negotiation" for these people is a transaction that benefits both sides without any consideration of ethics. You may notice that politics in general has this flavor.

Last edited:
The overwhelming majority voted justly with a "yes" vote.

The few “no” votes and many “abstain” votes can be understood by known geopolitics/authoritarianships/etc.

But is it too cynical to suspect that India and perhaps some others have a secret deal with Putin for continued $20-25/barrel discounted Russian oil?

8C0808D6-0B5B-4EB0-9861-B9FADA42E25C.jpeg