Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Russia stealing the fire trucks in Kherson and sacking the city. Only reason I can see that they would make off with the fire trucks is so they can burn the city to the ground. Maybe before flooding it and the surrounding territory. Evil, evil...

I just don't get this. This isn't the dark ages, word of stuff like this spreads FAST. They are just going to harden the population against them further.

Did anyone with any intelligence get killed off earlier in the war?

I hope Ukraine seals off escape routes to the NE along the Azov sea coast before making the final assault on Kherson. Grab the Russians by the belt buckle, and don't give them room to throw haymakers. If the Russians intend to use CBRN weapons, make it expensive, and futile.
Unfortunately the NE corridor along the Azov sea is the only place on the front where the Russians and not the Ukrainians are advancing.

The Russians in the Kherson region north of the Dnieper River have already been be mostly cut off from re-supply for over a month. Ukrainian telegraphed an attack in the south which caused Russia to pull troops from the north to reinforce the south. Ukrainian attacked in the weakened north and cut off supplies to the enlarged force of Russian troops in the south by blowing up bridges across the Dnieper (thanks HIMARS).

Armchair quarterbacks fussed and fumed when Ukraine's telegraphed attack in the south did not occur. Instead, Ukraine waited and basically starved out the Russian forces north of the Dnieper. Eventually Ukraine did attack in the south and made rapid progress against the depleted Russians. This is why Russia is now evacuating that entire region. They are able to get people across the river but they are not able to bring in large stocks of supplies or heavy military equipment. I don't know if Russia is (or will be) able to get their heavy military equipment out of the region.

Sources:
Anders Puck Nielsen is a professional military analyst who provides weekly updates on the big picture and strategy.

Denys Davydov is a Ukrainian commercial pilot who now provides daily updates of what is happening on the ground, kilometer by bloody kilometer.

Beau of the Fifth Column provides insightful commentary on the war but most of his videos cover US politics.

Perun provides weekly deep dives into various aspects of the war with staggering amounts of detailed data.

I just don't get this. This isn't the dark ages, word of stuff like this spreads FAST. They are just going to harden the population against them further.

What? Sowing fear amongst the masses? Its worked for the Russians since 1917. They'll keep doing it until it doesn't work. In this case, meaning overthrow of the regime. The oiligopolists think they can beat down the masses for ever.

So did the Tzar.

Very constructive. While I see the comment they make and you make I do not see the value of it for discussion. So based on your judgement no matter what they are saying, what are in your mind the 3 most likely outcomes in the case of Ukraine? If one does not prepare for the scenarios and cannot even discuss then, how can one take action now to reduce the impact, is this something for our ever so bright policiticans to discuss and decide for us instead as in Russia?

Edit: To note, there is a very big difference with the discussion of likely outcomes, to discussing overarching suggestions on how to peace could/should be reached in this case.
The problem is the idiots are encouraging Russia to threaten and then use nuclear weapons in order to achieve their objectives. See:
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

The "appease Russia because they have nukes" mindset is what got us into this mess: Chechnya, Georgia, Crimea, Donbas, Syria. Putin had every reason to believe the West would let him take the rest of Ukraine as well. In fact, right after the invasion, the West was ready to let him get away with it. On Friday Feb. 25, Biden said/complained that the EU was not willing to impose significant economic sanction (banning Russia from SWIFT). Then there was a sea change that weekend. Perhaps due to Zylenskyy's I need ammunition not a ride, strong arming from the US, a change of heart, or some combination. The EU got onboard with finally resisting Putin's aggression. The resistance started with freezing Russia's central bank assets which was much harsher than just banning them from SWIFT.

IMO it is appeasement comments like these from Elon that make the first use of nukes more likely. When you reward/ignore bad behavior then you get more bad behavior. In addition, our constant capitulation to Putin gave him an overblown sense of Russia's conventional military might. Most wars (like most bets) arise from conflicting views of reality. The reality conflict here is over Russia's economic and conventional military power. The military conflict will end when Russia re-aligns its reality and not before. It has been clearly demonstrated that promises of non-aggression from Putin are worthless.

One of Russia's motives for the current war was to establish a land bridge/route to Crimea. Unless Ukraine provides Russia with water and free access to Crimea, ceding Crimea to Russia is politically unstable. I grant you this would be a huge plum for Putin and would appease him -- temporarily. But by giving him such a juicy reward for behaving badly we are encouraging him to continue to threaten to use nukes in order to expand his Russian Empire. In addition, Ukraine would never go for this unless they were soundly defeated on the battlefield.
I thought @mars_or_bust summed it up well.

What? Sowing fear amongst the masses? Its worked for the Russians since 1917. They'll keep doing it until it doesn't work. In this case, meaning overthrow of the regime. The oiligopolists think they can beat down the masses for ever.

So did the Tzar.
Also Putin and his butcher may be playing to the audience in Russia. Devastating Kherson may help appease those arguing for more violence against the Ukrainian population. Isn't this what Kadyrov wants? This General may be giving him what he wants.

Also Putin and his butcher may be playing to the audience in Russia. Devastating Kherson may help appease those arguing for more violence against the Ukrainian population. Isn't this what Kadyrov wants? This General may be giving him what he wants.

Yes, and I have seen estimates of ~5 Million Ukrainian citizens who have been involuntarily relocated to remote Russian oblasts as forced labor. This is the new gulag. This war can not, will not, end until there is a full accounting and repatriation of detained persons, and reparations.

The West is dreaming if they think they can force an unequiable settlement upon Ukraine. Punitive damage comes later, if there is an attempt to force and unjust peace.

Berlusconi confirms membership of Friends Of Putin Fan Club. "Meloni, who has promised to continue Italy’s support of Ukraine and the EU sanctions against Russia over the invasion, gave Berlusconi an ultimatum to either support Nato’s stance against Russia or else not join her nascent government."

Berlusconi confirms membership of Friends Of Putin Fan Club. "Meloni, who has promised to continue Italy’s support of Ukraine and the EU sanctions against Russia over the invasion, gave Berlusconi an ultimatum to either support Nato’s stance against Russia or else not join her nascent government."

Q. Where do Italians keep their armies?

A. In their sleevies.

:p

Did anyone with any intelligence get killed off earlier in the war?

Part of this is posturing for the internal audience in Russia. It's not fooling the younger people in Moscow and St Peterburg, but in the rural provinces there is little internet and Moscow controls what there is. The older generations also get their news from Moscow controlled sources.

Russia is a country founded by the Mongol Hoard and they have always fought like and thought like Mongol rulers. I have posted a link to the Yale lecture series on the history of Ukraine. The professor also covers the history of Ukraine's neighbors. Lecture 7 was about what happened after the Mongols destroyed the capital of Rus, Kyiv and how the territory of Rus was broken up into many pieces. One of those pieces was a vassal province of the Mongols called Moscow. The Muscovites paid tribute to the Mongols for a time, but when the Mongols got weak, the Muscovites quit paying tribute and started expanding to take over the rest of Rus. Over the next 5 centuries they took over most of northern Asia.

He made the point that Moscow quit paying tribute to the Mongols, but not much else changed. They thought like the Mongols and fought like the Mongols. They still do.

One thing the Mongols did was make an example of one group of people to scare the next group of people into submission. It worked for the Mongols in the 15th century, and it worked for the Muscovites much of the time since. Russian leadership today still think the way Mongol leaders did. They keep trying the same old tactics even when the rest of the world knows they don't work in the modern world against a well equipped modern army. All it does is cause a lot of suffering, kills a lot of innocent people, and leaves a big mess to clean up when the war is over.

Putin and his inner circle are trying to apply 15th century solutions to a 21st century problem. You could call it stupidity. They haven't learned that the world changed and the old ways just make the enemy more angry and more determined.

Unfortunately the NE corridor along the Azov sea is the only place on the front where the Russians and not the Ukrainians are advancing.

I wouldn't call it advancing. The Russians keep throwing people into the meat grinder trying to take ground, but what ground they do take is usually taken back after a short time. The war of attrition is still going on there and the Ukrainians are happy to let the Russians try because it ties down a lot of Russian troops and gets a lot of Russians killed and wounded which takes them out of the fight.

The Donbas is easy to defend east to west, but very difficult to defend north to south. The Ukrainians are on the offensive on the north end of Luhansk. So far the Russians have been slowing them down, but the Russians are running out of defensive positions. Once that breaks, Luhansk and Donesk will be impossible to defend as the Ukrainian army pours down from the north. The front in Donesk now will either collapse as the Russians flee trying to get back to Russia or will be trapped in an encirclement.

The Russians in the Kherson region north of the Dnieper River have already been be mostly cut off from re-supply for over a month. Ukrainian telegraphed an attack in the south which caused Russia to pull troops from the north to reinforce the south. Ukrainian attacked in the weakened north and cut off supplies to the enlarged force of Russian troops in the south by blowing up bridges across the Dnieper (thanks HIMARS).

Armchair quarterbacks fussed and fumed when Ukraine's telegraphed attack in the south did not occur. Instead, Ukraine waited and basically starved out the Russian forces north of the Dnieper. Eventually Ukraine did attack in the south and made rapid progress against the depleted Russians. This is why Russia is now evacuating that entire region. They are able to get people across the river but they are not able to bring in large stocks of supplies or heavy military equipment. I don't know if Russia is (or will be) able to get their heavy military equipment out of the region.

Sources:
Anders Puck Nielsen is a professional military analyst who provides weekly updates on the big picture and strategy.

Denys Davydov is a Ukrainian commercial pilot who now provides daily updates of what is happening on the ground, kilometer by bloody kilometer.

Beau of the Fifth Column provides insightful commentary on the war but most of his videos cover US politics.

Perun provides weekly deep dives into various aspects of the war with staggering amounts of detailed data.

Perun is first rate. I'm not as familiar with the others, I'll check them out.

In other news, Trent Telenko has a piece arguing the drone attacks on Kyiv are actually a form of SEAD. He may have a point
Thread by @TrentTelenko on Thread Reader App

I was thinking why not dedicate some ground attack helicopters with guns to this job? They could match speed with the drone and gun them down fairly easily. He talked about a MiG-29 that was lost when a drone blew up and the debris was sucked into the engine. A MiG is the wrong tool for the job, the speed differential is too high and the fighter runs the risk of flying into the debris cloud. Something flying closer to the drone's speed could take evasive maneuvers to get out of the debris cloud.

Another good weapon for this would be small COIN aircraft with guns. They are slow and also have the advantage of being cheap so a loss would not be all that critical.
Counter-insurgency aircraft - Wikipedia

It would be overkill, but the A-10 with regular HE rounds in the 30mm cannon would do the job too.

I wouldn't call it advancing. The Russians keep throwing people into the meat grinder trying to take ground, but what ground they do take is usually taken back after a short time.
I was repeating what Denys has been reporting. For example:
Let's go to the part where Russia has some sort of success. Recently they took Zaitseve ... it's the third time they claimed they took Zaitseve ... They are very close to Bakhmut today. I wouldn't stay in that city if I saw Russia very close.

Meatgrinder? sure. Some Ukrainian counter-attacks? Sure. But it's still the only part of the front where Russia is advancing. Perhaps we can agree it's much better for Ukraine to be on defense rather than offense in that area. Which was my main point.

• Disagree
Reactions: nativewolf
I was repeating what Denys has been reporting. For example:
Let's go to the part where Russia has some sort of success. Recently they took Zaitseve ... it's the third time they claimed they took Zaitseve ... They are very close to Bakhmut today. I wouldn't stay in that city if I saw Russia very close.

Meatgrinder? sure. Some Ukrainian counter-attacks? Sure. But it's still the only part of the front where Russia is advancing. Perhaps we can agree it's much better for Ukraine to be on defense rather than offense in that area. Which was my main point.

I would agree the Russians are trying to be on offense there, but they aren't doing a great job of it. They are just burning up resources and getting people killed trying to take ground long after it's clear to everyone else that they have completely lost the initiative.

No military analysts understands the strategy in Bakhmut. The only logical explanation is that Wagner is paid to capture territories and not penalized for losing. So they capture and give back all summer/fall and make huge $. They are mercenaries, what do they care, the guys in the way of bullets are literally criminals.

I would agree the Russians are trying to be on offense there, but they aren't doing a great job of it. They are just burning up resources and getting people killed trying to take ground long after it's clear to everyone else that they have completely lost the initiative.
It is the case though that this approach, just like the mass drone attacks, is using up Ukraine's ammo and keeping them tied up in that area, so it may be another blunt tactic, but if Wagner are involved it is undoubtedly money driven as well and relatively risk-free for them if they can send waves of untrained mobilised troops ahead to attract enemy fire and act as a buffer.

Last edited:
Russia has and probably still is doing the exact same thing with the American Republican party. Look at how republicans are saying they wont support Ukraine after the election. Maybe Canadian Conservatives as well but I have no proof of that. However Canadian right wing talk shows sound the same and push the same rhetoric as the Repubs.

Hard to see how waiting a few weeks/ months to see if the Republicans can sink US support for Ukraine wouldn't be on the strategy board for Russia. As would be making that happen.