Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once it becomes clear that Russia can't hold onto Crimea then Putin will likely lose his job. This is a time honored Russian tradition. It's not guaranteed but it's likely that his replacement (even a hard-right replacement) will choose to end the war in Ukraine. This will give them their best chance of getting Russia back on its feet and staying in power while it happens. Blame everything on the Crazy Ivan War Criminal.

The alternative of losing Crimea and the war under your watch and committing more war crimes in Ukraine thus getting your own personal invitation to the Hague does not have a lot of appeal. If Putin could turn back the clock and not invade Ukraine, I'm sure he would jump at the chance. It's unlikely that a war criminal will lead Russia while it re-joins the international community.

An implosion in Russia is possible but not necessary. Yes, there could be some really horrific outcomes but not all outcomes need to be horrific. If there is a successful counter-offensive by Ukraine this summer cutting off the land bridge to Crimea then we have the best shot at a relatively peaceful (not world-ending) transfer of power in Russia. It would have been much better if the West hadn't dilly-dallied with giving Ukraine the weapons it needs so we could have ended this whole thing last summer.

Pretty sure Harpoons don't have the range to get from Odesa to Sevastapol to hit the fleet there. Unless something has changed, IIRC they are not capable to be air-launched either (but that can change with the proper mounting equipment developments).

EDIT - Harpoon:

278 km on the land-launched version (rocket booster), shorter range on the air-launched version, but the plane can do most of the work.

Google says Odesa - Sevestapol is 301 km, just outside of the range of Harpoon.

Storm Shadow air-launched version has a 250km range for the export version (560km for the version GB keeps for themselves).

• Funny
Reactions: bkp_duke
The Dictators little servile serfs in the Kremlin says that hypersonic missile scientists who worked on the Khinzal missiles are now being investigated for high treason since it turned out that the worthless POS missiles could be shot down. The Dictators laughably bad propaganda had promised that the missiles could not be shot down, but yesterday a total of six were shot down in a single night. A single Khinzal had been shot down earlier. The accusations of treason are based on that the scientists presented the results of experiments with hypersonic robots at a seminar in France in 2016. The Dictator has yet again managed to find some more scapegoats for his own catastrophic failures.

And according to some other publication these scientists have now been arrested.

I'd be glad to have a reasonable discussion with you but if you only post links to absurd Putin propaganda tweets then it's not much of a discussion.

As I have posted previously, Ukraine has already pushed Russia away from the major cities: Kyiv, Karkhiv, and Kherson. Ukraine has also pushed back Russians from north and south of Bakhmut and have encircled and eliminated Russian troops in the southern salient. Therefore the wild claims in the tweet you linked to are demonstrably false. Not only is Ukraine able to dislodge Russian troops from their positions, Ukraine has already done it a number of times.

As for the upcoming Ukrainian counter-offensive, I don't know what the outcome will be. I hope they will be able to cut the land bridge to Crimea this summer which may be enough to dislodge Putin from power. This should not be too hard after his pathetic Victory Day celebration. Nothing says "weak" quite as much as having no modern tanks left over from your special military operation to display in a parade designed to flaunt your military strength.

I have no doubt Ukraine will oust many Russian troops from dug-in and well fortified positions in their counter-offensive. No reasonable analyst disputes this. The only question is: will Ukraine be able to oust Russian troops from position to position all the way to the Sea of Azov?

Someone else has already posted this link but I will post it again:

It's an extensive catalog of heavy weaponry both delivered to and promised to Ukraine. Let's look at just some of the engineering equipment that has already been sent:
Is there any doubt Ukraine will put this equipment to good use to clear mines and cross trenches thus ousting many Russians from dug-in positions? I'm also impressed that 500 Infantry Fighting Vehicles and 1000+ Armored Personnel Carriers have already been delivered.

There is no doubt many Russian troops will be dislodged by the Ukrainian counter-offensive. I hope enough will be dislodged to cut off Crimea and seal Putin's fate.

Sorry, today I’m way more visible on TMC than I want to be. But I love this thread and the wealth of knowledge it provides. Pro-Russia posts are allowed, but what we mainly get is people just tossing in controversial tweets like grenades and not adding any coherent thought themselves. It pulls down this thread. Two of my countrymen were the main culprits and they are now enjoying a long and a short vacation. A third person is getting close to joining them. Post only if you can add some insight to this thread, preferably self-formulated.

Pretty sure Harpoons don't have the range to get from Odesa to Sevastapol to hit the fleet there. Unless something has changed, IIRC they are not capable to be air-launched either (but that can change with the proper mounting equipment developments).

EDIT - Harpoon:

278 km on the land-launched version (rocket booster), shorter range on the air-launched version, but the plane can do most of the work.

Google says Odesa - Sevestapol is 301 km, just outside of the range of Harpoon.

Storm Shadow air-launched version has a 250km range for the export version (560km for the version GB keeps for themselves).

The Neptune anti-ship missiles that Ukraine used to sink the Moskva aren't really Harpoon missiles, though they are roughly equivalent. There may be Neptunes capable of 300+ km range at this time. They are an evolution of Soviet era KH-35 cruise missiles, aka "Harpoonski". I'm pretty sure Ukraine has also been supplied with a number of genuine Harpoon missiles, though.

Nothing says "weak" quite as much as having no modern tanks left over from your special military operation to display in a parade designed to flaunt your military strength.
I like your POV and I hope the comfortable Russian citizenry feel the same, although fwiw (practically nothing), my first take on the pathetic parade was that tanks were not on parade because they are in UKR. Since it is hard for me to accept that any normal human believes the 'limited operation' BS line of propaganda, finding that the entire tank corps is mobilized is not news or surprising. I can actually imagine the opposite: a parade full of tanks might cause people to ask "what the heck is Putin doing? Mobiks yes, tanks no ??"

I suppose my point is that it is not obvious to me that the Russian citizenry saw the parade and thought 'weak military.'

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
I like your POV and I hope the comfortable Russian citizenry feel the same, although fwiw (practically nothing), my first take on the pathetic parade was that tanks were not on parade because they are in UKR. Since it is hard for me to accept that any normal human believes the 'limited operation' BS line of propaganda, finding that the entire tank corps is mobilized is not news or surprising. I can actually imagine the opposite: a parade full of tanks might cause people to ask "what the heck is Putin doing? Mobiks yes, tanks no ??"

I suppose my point is that it is not obvious to me that the Russian citizenry saw the parade and thought 'weak military.'

This 'bad optics' – as in it would look bad to not have the tanks 'where-they-were-needed-point-of-view' was also aired in Swedish Public Service Media. Since it was a while back I don't have any direct links for reference though...

But... The parade in Moscow was not the only one. Many were cancelled, but there were 'victory' parades in other places. Don't remember how many. I'm sure the answer can be found through Google, but from memory I think parades were held in some 10-13 places (or some such). And there were tanks (and armored IFVs) in I think all of those other parades...

So it was also speculated that the reason there weren't any tanks, and also why there weren't any(?) or very few armored IFVs in the Moscow parade, was because the Dictator was scared that the army would use the tanks and IFVs, and sieze the Golden opportunity to stage a coup and place the Dictator where he rightly belongs.

Indeed.

3 U.S. officials report damage is minimal, that the system remains operational, and that there appears no need to remove the Patriot for repairs.

This sounds like falling debris.

Live updates: Russia's war in Ukraine

A bit of OSINT numbers
Thread by @TrentTelenko on Thread Reader App

To guarantee one gets through, it would take 180 Kinzhals against 2 1/2 Patriot batteries. A Patriot battery has 16 different parts spread out over a peacetime area of about 1/2 mile by 1/4 mile with each vehicle in a separate revetment. In wartime the normal practice is to spread them out further. To take out one battery would require 16 missiles to get through and all of them hit their targets. Even if the Russians were able to identify the radars, they wouldn't know where the launchers were.

Kyiv is also protected by other AD systems that prioritize easier to shoot down targets.

Oh and mocking the fact that Kinzhals are getting through to other targets than Kyiv shows naivete about the reality. Ukraine only has a few Patriot systems and they chose to defend Kyiv as the first priority. I don't recall how many Patriots Ukraine has received at this point, but at best they are only able to defend maybe one other city.

You do realize Joe Biden has a speech impediment that makes him babble sometimes? He sounded just like that when he was 40.

There are many examples from just the last few weeks where he demonstrated he's very much with it mentally.

The Dictators little servile serfs in the Kremlin says that hypersonic missile scientists who worked on the Khinzal missiles are now being investigated for high treason since it turned out that the worthless POS missiles could be shot down. The Dictators laughably bad propaganda had promised that the missiles could not be shot down, but yesterday a total of six were shot down in a single night. A single Khinzal had been shot down earlier. The accusations of treason are based on that the scientists presented the results of experiments with hypersonic robots at a seminar in France in 2016. The Dictator has yet again managed to find some more scapegoats for his own catastrophic failures.

And according to some other publication these scientists have now been arrested.

Another data point that the Russian claims are BS. Even in Stalin's Russia nobody got arrested when their weapons systems worked, but getting arrested when they failed was not uncommon.

I'd be glad to have a reasonable discussion with you but if you only post links to absurd Putin propaganda tweets then it's not much of a discussion.

As I have posted previously, Ukraine has already pushed Russia away from the major cities: Kyiv, Karkhiv, and Kherson. Ukraine has also pushed back Russians from north and south of Bakhmut and have encircled and eliminated Russian troops in the southern salient. Therefore the wild claims in the tweet you linked to are demonstrably false. Not only is Ukraine able to dislodge Russian troops from their positions, Ukraine has already done it a number of times.

As for the upcoming Ukrainian counter-offensive, I don't know what the outcome will be. I hope they will be able to cut the land bridge to Crimea this summer which may be enough to dislodge Putin from power. This should not be too hard after his pathetic Victory Day celebration. Nothing says "weak" quite as much as having no modern tanks left over from your special military operation to display in a parade designed to flaunt your military strength.

I googled Daniel Davis. He appears to be a contrarian troll who has appeared in a lot of places where these trolls get a voice. Some ex-military voices about the war have had a very accurate track record in predicting how the war will go: Mark Hertling, Ben Hodges, and Mick Ryan among them. In some cases they were off on specifics, but their predictions have largely played out in the broad strokes. Others like Davis don't have such a good track record for predictions.

Here is a Tweet from Feb 25, 2022

With dictators it's all about the fronting. The yearly parade was Putin's way of telling the world that Russia really was the #2 army in the world and they were strong. We now know they were hiding a lot of weaknesses. The T-14 Armatas haven't been seen in Ukraine yet, though there were rumors they were in country. Those are pretty much useless for combat because rumor has it they still are loaded with bugs. Russia used to parade those every year on May 9.

The program for the parade showed there were more tanks than just the single T-34. There were supposed to be a few Armatas, a T-72 and I think something else. But everyone who can maintain a tank is also fully engaged in the war so there probably weren't the personnel to clean up the tanks and make them look pretty for the parade.

Sure, I agree. The paltry VD parade by itself is not going to lead to Putin's downfall. The problem comes when you combine the paltry parade ("all our troops and tanks are at the front where they belong") with a significant military setback ("Oh shucks, we are all-in and lost anyway and we may soon lose Crimea"). The fig leaf of this only being a special military operation is gone. Instead, the specter of being the second best military in Ukraine starts to loom.

IMHO showing the world that you have such a big and powerful military that you can fight a war and still have enough excess for a traditional VD parade is a display of strength. Showing the world that you've scraped the bottom of the barrel so the troops and tanks that would have normally been in the parade are at the front or in the ground shows weakness. If you prevail on the battlefield this doesn't matter. But if you are defeated then it's another nail in your coffin.

Putin tries to project an image of being strong and manly. He wants Russians to believe he is strong enough to protect them. There have already been over 50 acts of sabotage inside of Russia this year including the drone attacks on the Kremlin. Displaying weakness is not good for his job security. Or his health.

I may be wrong but my gut says the 2023 VD parade will come back to haunt Putin or be used as an emblem of his downfall. I was influenced by this interview with Ilya Ponomarev who says he told the Russian resistance to not strike the Kremlin on VD because it might offend some Russians who view it as sacred.