Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Losing 5% of your leopard tanks and 10% of your Bradley’s in a recon probe is …not great.

They were ambushed. Not screaming but it would be good for Ukraine to figure out what happened and make sure not to reinforce error

The Reporting from Ukraine video I recently linked to covers this starting at around 0:58

Ukrainians quickly rectified their mistakes [... they] used M58s to de-mine the problematic areas.
Neither side is saying much about the offensive right now. The Russians are quick to talk up any successes, so their official silence is a sign things probably aren't going very well.

Ironically I just got a message in my inbox linking to an article about Putin spouting on about the offensive:

Yesterday they had good article about the Kakhovka dam:

Maybe this is already a little out of date due to the intercept linked to by madodel.

They were Bradley’s . 4 of them the. They sent six to extract- lost them all . Likely can be fixed. If this were Russian tanks they would be targeted by artillery, the Russians may try. To be clear they lost 10 bradleys

The original grainy video looked more like M113s. I just saw a more recent after action picture that did show Bradleys. It does look like one of the Leopards may be recoverable.

Losing 5% of your leopard tanks and 10% of your Bradley’s in a recon probe is …not great.

They were ambushed. Not screaming but it would be good for Ukraine to figure out what happened and make sure not to reinforce error
There is more about Ukraine figuring this out in today's video. You and the Ukrainian commanders are on the same wavelength.

He says Ukraine penetrated up to 3 km deep over a 16 km front. They used Remote Anti-Armor Mine Systems (RAAMS) to prevent Russian reinforcements from moving forward. The Russians are also complaining that Western night vision equipment is giving Ukraine the edge in night attacks. I take some of this with a grain of salt due to the fog of war but it's still good news.

In other good news a $2.1B assistance package was announced by the US:

This includes:
  • Additional munitions for Patriot air defense systems
  • HAWK air defense systems and missiles
  • 105mm and 203mm artillery rounds
  • Puma Unmanned Aerial Systems
  • Laser-guided rocket system munitions

some in Europe start thinking about how the contours of a post-Putin Russia would look. .... Nearly 300 exiled Russian opposition politicians and activists gathered to discuss these questions [the fall of Putin] in the European parliament earlier this week

...... the Russian opposition remains divided over how best to cooperate. Representatives from the foundation of jailed opposition politician Alexei Navalny, the best known opposition leader, were a notable absence from the Brussels conference. They have boycotted many similar events, believing them to be pointless talking shops.
..... Also absent was Ilya Ponomarev, a former MP who was the only Russian parliamentarian to vote against the annexation of Crimea in 2014 and subsequently fled to Kyiv, where he has taken Ukrainian citizenship. He now claims to have links to partisan movements inside Russia and the armed units who have carried out cross-border incursions into Russia from Ukraine in recent weeks. “The organisers do not want even a flavour of armed resistance,” Ponomarev said in a telephone interview. On Thursday, he began his own forum in Warsaw, dedicated to creating legislation for a post-Putin transition period.

Mikhail Khodorkovsky, formerly the richest man in Russia before he was jailed for a decade in 2003, said that simply changing Putin for another person from his system would not make any difference.

“This regime should be destroyed,” he said during the opening session. “There is no other road to a peaceful normal future for Russia and for Europe and the whole world.” .........

Andrius Kubilius, the Lithuanian MEP and former prime minister who was the conference’s main organiser, said it was still a minority view among European politicians that real democratic change could come to Russia, but he felt it was an important argument to make for the sake of both Russia and Ukraine. “If big European capitals won’t believe in a possibility of a democratic Russia, which I admit is not so easy to believe at this point, you think either … the same regime will stay in power for ever … or Russia will collapse into total disaster,” said Kubilius. If western politicians believed a complete Ukrainian military victory would mean the collapse of Russia into an even worse dictatorship or civil war, they “then become scared of Ukrainian victory,” he said.

etc

David Demorrow posted a thread with a possible reason why the Ukrainians are doing the offensive in penny packets rather than a large concentration of force: the risk Russia will use a tactical nuke on the force

I hadn't thought of it, but there may be Ukraine's reason for caution.

from Guardian
Ukraine’s nuclear energy agency says it has put the last operating reactor at Europe’s largest nuclear power plant into a “cold shutdown” as a safety precaution amid flooding from the collapse of the Kakhovka dam. Five out of six reactors at the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant, which is occupied by Russian forces, are already in a state of cold shutdown. Energoatom, the Ukrainian nuclear agency, said in a statement late on Friday that there was “no direct threat” to the Zaporizhzhia plant due to the breach of the Kakhovka dam further down the Dnieper River, which has forced thousands of people to flee flooding and also sharply reduced water levels in a reservoir used to help cool the facility. The last reactor was put into cold shutdown on Thursday, Energoatom said. The site’s power units have not been operating since September last year. The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency is due to visit Ukraine in the coming days.

David Demorrow posted a thread with a possible reason why the Ukrainians are doing the offensive in penny packets rather than a large concentration of force: the risk Russia will use a tactical nuke on the force

Totally disagree with this argument by David. The utilization of any Nuke, tactical or otherwise, has been clearly stated by the West as a red line that would trigger their involvement.

Pretty sure the Ukrainians are just not concentrating forces so that they are the victim of missile and artillery strikes like what the Ukrainians have been doing to the Russians.

Things are starting to move significantly in Norway and possibly also in Sweden with regards to multinational corporation Mondelez that STILL continues to 'do business' with the Russian Dictator and his Mob of minions...

'...] While more and more people are boycotting Marabou in Sweden [Sweden's largest brand of Chocolate Bars], Norwegians are also boycotting the equivalent Freia in Norway. SJ [a government-owned passenger train operator in Sweden], Norwegian [Norway's largest privately owned airline], Classic Norway Hotels, the Norwegian Trekking Association(?) and the hotel chain Strawberry, i.e. Petter Stordalen's Nordic Choice and other hotels owned by Stordalen that have just 'reworked' their 'branding'/names are all boycotting. Several food chains such as Vy, REMA 1000 and Norgegruppen are evaluating the situation, Verdens Gang reports. Norwegian Coop will also have a meeting. [I don't personally know about Vy, REMA 1000 and Norgegruppen but Coop is a pretty big player in the retail market in Sweden and probably also in Norway.]

Strawberry's CEO says "Strawberry should not trade in goods from actors who contribute to Russia's war against Ukraine". 229 hotels are affected, probably also in Sweden.

Stockholm's largest (?) hotel Clarion Sign is a part of Nordic Choice and removes Mondelez products [NOTE: That Twitter-link in Swedish contains language that is NSFW. It is SFW in a Swedish context but probably not in a North American context...]. This confirms that all hotels within Strawberry are a part of this action against Mondelez. [...'

In Norweigian:

Last edited:
Allegedly from somewhere outside of Bakhmut. Don't know when this took place.

A Ukrainian unit and an M113 appears to take out 5-6 Russian dugouts in a tree line. A larger 'nest' is dealt with using a tank at the end.

WARNING: ~20 minutes of real combat footage. First person Go-Pro mixed with footage from a drone. One UKR soldier is killed. Injuries and deaths are pixelated.

Things are starting to move significantly in Norway and possibly also in Sweden with regards to multinational corporation Mondelez that STILL continues to 'do business' with the Russian Dictator and his Mob of minions...

So... no more Putie Sour Patch Kids? :p

in-soviet-russia-kti2ti.jpg

Budmo!

We'll see. Aside from an overthrow, the combo of Russia losing occupied territories and Putin maintaining power probably equals tactical nukes. I can't picture Putin willingly throwing in the towel unless there's enough internal strife where he opts for a gun to the head.