Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you go to be mobilized don't forget to bring food and toiletries.
Russian government finalizes mobilization summons form, including list of items to bring and warning about failing to appear

On the back of the summons, which was published along with Mishustin’s decree, is a list of documents and items that draftees should bring with them when reporting for service, including “toiletries” and “food for one day.” The form also notes that draftees will “be held responsible in accordance with Russian law” if they fail to respond to their summons.

caterpillar-757f.jpeg

On the subject of the 1000 meter long minefields: couldn’t Ukraine have bought 100 ginormous dump trucks used in quarries, put heavy armour on them (engine compartment, driver compartment, tires), equip them with a huge 20 cm thick, 15 meter wide snow plough, and let them clear paths 0.5 meter deep through these minefields. Doing this simultaneously with a few dozen dump trucks would create many clearances which tanks, APCs and troops can pour through. The earth thrown up on the sides would even provide some protection against tank fire and anti-tank weapons.

Am I thinking outside of the box or is this just a dumb idea?

caterpillar-757f.jpeg

On the subject of the 1000 meter long minefields: couldn’t Ukraine have bought 100 ginormous dump trucks used in quaries, put heavy armour on them (engine compartment, driver compartment, tires), equip them with a huge 20 cm thick, 15 meter wide snow plough, and let them clear paths 0.5 meter deep through these minefields. Doing this simultaneously with a few dozen dump trucks would create many clearances which tanks, APCs and troops can pour through. The earth thrown up on the sides would even provide some protection against tank fire and anti-tank weapons.

A modern tank round (APFSDS) would go through at least 1-metre thick steel. Shaped charge rounds will go through more. 20/40mm cannon would go through the sort of armour you are enisaging. They might not figure out where the driver is sitting, but they'd certainly know where the wheels are. And there wouldn't be much in the way of suprise.

But the equivalent is in use - that remote controlled IFV that made the run to the anti-tank ditch. Also there are remote controlled purpose built mine clearance tanks that the Swedes have supplied. So in a way your idea is already in use.

caterpillar-757f.jpeg

On the subject of the 1000 meter long minefields: couldn’t Ukraine have bought 100 ginormous dump trucks used in quaries, put heavy armour on them (engine compartment, driver compartment, tires), equip them with a huge 20 cm thick, 15 meter wide snow plough, and let them clear paths 0.5 meter deep through these minefields. Doing this simultaneously with a few dozen dump trucks would create many clearances which tanks, APCs and troops can pour through. The earth thrown up on the sides would even provide some protection against tank fire and anti-tank weapons.

Sounds like some kind of a Cecil B DeMille solution to a situation.

caterpillar-757f.jpeg

On the subject of the 1000 meter long minefields: couldn’t Ukraine have bought 100 ginormous dump trucks used in quarries, put heavy armour on them (engine compartment, driver compartment, tires), equip them with a huge 20 cm thick, 15 meter wide snow plough, and let them clear paths 0.5 meter deep through these minefields. Doing this simultaneously with a few dozen dump trucks would create many clearances which tanks, APCs and troops can pour through. The earth thrown up on the sides would even provide some protection against tank fire and anti-tank weapons.

These machines are assembled on site. They would be a stationary target during assembly. it would also be very easy to shoot the tires. IIRC when one of these tires blows, the killing distance to the side is something like 300 metres.

I have answers to three of those points:

1. Steel one meter thick? Eeeeekk!

2. Driver's cab: In fact, these CAT 797s are, along with certain ag-related heavy equipment, among the most FSD-advanced vehicles in existence. Programming one for 'dumb' work like going straight forward for 5km is a piece of cake. No driver needed.

3. Tires: Although these monstrous donuts are typically pneumatic, they can be made solid. Take a round and keep going 'round.

Dang, they're expensive. But so are Leopards and Bradleys.

An interview with my friend Dmitriy on the Norwegian site nettavisen-no on how things are bad for journalists in Russia and why many have fled. The link he posted translates Norwegian to Russian but there is an option to change it to English in Google Translate.

Is on "Putin's list": - Will end really badly for Russia

caterpillar-757f.jpeg

Drones plus artillery make it very dangerous to clump assets together near the front. Long range precision missiles make it dangerous even well away from the front. The Cat 797F pictured is a large, high value target that costs $5M and cannot be easily hidden.

Zero percent would survive for more than a few hours within range of Russian artillery. Russia's primary means of defense is minefields to slow vehicles down combined with artillery. If the artillery is absent then the standard methods for clearing minefields are a piece of cake.

Heavy tanks went the way of battleships (no longer used) for mostly the same reason. They are large, high value targets that are still vulnerable to modern munitions.

2. Driver's cab: In fact, these CAT 797s are, along with certain ag-related heavy equipment, among the most FSD-advanced vehicles in existence. Programming one for 'dumb' work like going straight forward for 5km is a piece of cake. No driver needed.

3. Tires: Although these monstrous donuts are typically pneumatic, they can be made solid. Take a round and keep going 'round.

Yes, they can be made solid (although they would have to be a custom made as no one makes solid tires in that size). However, speed would be limited to 1-2 mph (perhaps even kph) or they will heat up and melt (no Russians required).

Allegedly:

"Russian Deputy Vitaly Milonov proposes to introduce forced insemination for unmarried women over 24 years old. “Until the age of 24, they danced at discos, it’s time to take care of the state,” the deputy explained"

This is worse than it seems, all the young men have fled the country, or are off fighting the war.

All the girls have to choose from is a bunch of decrepit old drunks, or the sperm bank, no surprise that there is a run on the sperm bank :)

This is worse than it seems, all the young men have fled the country, or are off fighting the war.

All the girls have to choose from is a bunch of decrepit old drunks, or the sperm bank, no surprise that there is a run on the sperm bank :)
Huh...hate to say this but ....Russia is suddenly looking better than it did yesterday

A modern tank round (APFSDS) would go through at least 1-metre thick steel. Shaped charge rounds will go through more. 20/40mm cannon would go through the sort of armour you are enisaging. They might not figure out where the driver is sitting, but they'd certainly know where the wheels are. And there wouldn't be much in the way of suprise.
-
But the equivalent is in use - that remote controlled IFV that made the run to the anti-tank ditch. Also there are remote controlled purpose built mine clearance tanks that the Swedes have supplied. So in a way your idea is already in use.

Too big and easy to kill. OK. Alternate random thought, let's have FSD Teslas drive across the mine fields. Good for TSLA, but of course that's still a bit pricey.

However, auto-driving or remote controlled full size cars is not even hard nowadays, so what if we build out some 80's caliber junkers with auto-driving hardware and a laptop, like the original Darpa challenge. Then drive them across the mine fields? $5K per car or something to create a known clear path. Lots of blown up cars in the way, but you only need one path. How about junker dirt bikes/motorcycles?

The UKR are seriously clever and smart, and I expect they have already considered this. That self-driving BMP might be part of that sort of thinking.

Probably this sort of idea does not work in practice because the battlefield is 100% transparent in this war. You can't move any vehicle anywhere on the front without being seen by drones and drawing artillery fire.

Allegedly:

"Russian Deputy Vitaly Milonov proposes to introduce forced insemination for unmarried women over 24 years old. “Until the age of 24, they danced at discos, it’s time to take care of the state,” the deputy explained"

Demographically Russia is looking at a big fall off a cliff in another decade or two. The birthrate, especially among ethnic Russians is one of the lowest in the world and it has been for 30 years. My partner has read that male infertility in Russia has become a severe problem. Long term heavy consumption of alcohol can lead to infertility in men.

In part they are fighting this war now because demographically they won't be able to in a few years. As it is they are drafting men who in past, total wars, were only drafted near the end of the war when the manpower pool became exhausted.

For example Germany started forming Volk Grenadier units in late 1944 which were older men and boys that were previously too young to get drafted. in the US Civil war young boys as young as 12 and old men were brought into the ranks near the end, especially in the South.

This is a desperation move to try and rebuild the population, I doubt it's going to work.

To make solid tires for those beasts would require the molds to be made and they would have to be tested. It would probably take a year to do all the upgrades needed to turn those into mine plows.

The Ukrainians are doing what they need to do to free up the demining assets they have. Neutralize Russian artillery and make the local air environment too hostile to fly anything and the demining equipment can get to work. The Ukrainians reported taking out another 30 artillery yesterday.

Drones plus artillery make it very dangerous to clump assets together near the front. Long range precision missiles make it dangerous even well away from the front. The Cat 797F pictured is a large, high value target that costs $5M and cannot be easily hidden.

Zero percent would survive for more than a few hours within range of Russian artillery. Russia's primary means of defense is minefields to slow vehicles down combined with artillery. If the artillery is absent then the standard methods for clearing minefields are a piece of cake.

Heavy tanks went the way of battleships (no longer used) for mostly the same reason. They are large, high value targets that are still vulnerable to modern munitions.

Nicholas Moran who is, I believe a Lt Colonel, in the US Army has a YouTube channel called The Chieftain. He's an expert on everything tank related. I saw something where he had a discussion about why the heavy tank went away and essentially the medium tank evolved to take that niche. In WW II the medium tank was the mainstay tank in most armies with decent but not great armor, but good mobility and a decent gun. Heavy tanks sometimes had much larger guns, but they always had heavy armor and poor mobility.

After the war engine technology improved a fair bit and medium tanks got heavier and heavier armor as well as big guns. The MBT took the role of both the medium and heavy tank. A discussion among historians about what was the first real MBT concluded that the German Panther was probably the first tank that fit the abilities of an MBT.

In the USSR the T-34 evolved to take on more of the capabilities of the KV/IS series that those tanks became redundant and the descendant of the T-34 lived on.

The US evolved the M48 medium tank into an MBT (M60 and late M48s), but then started over with a blank sheet with the Abrams.

Too big and easy to kill. OK. Alternate random thought, let's have FSD Teslas drive across the mine fields. Good for TSLA, but of course that's still a bit pricey.

However, auto-driving or remote controlled full size cars is not even hard nowadays, so what if we build out some 80's caliber junkers with auto-driving hardware and a laptop, like the original Darpa challenge. Then drive them across the mine fields? $5K per car or something to create a known clear path. Lots of blown up cars in the way, but you only need one path. How about junker dirt bikes/motorcycles?

The UKR are seriously clever and smart, and I expect they have already considered this. That self-driving BMP might be part of that sort of thinking.

Probably this sort of idea does not work in practice because the battlefield is 100% transparent in this war. You can't move any vehicle anywhere on the front without being seen by drones and drawing artillery fire.

The problem is that when a car blows up, its wreck is sitting in the spot where you want to start the next car in line. If you go around that car, then the next car will blow up next to it. You'll end up with a line of cars along the front of the minefield and not get very deep.

MICLICs are probably the best tool, but it will take 10 lines to clear one channel in a minefield 1Km deep. They need a clear environment to do their job without enemy interference. As @petit_bateau said yesterday, once the first line is shot, the enemy knows where you are and what you're doing. The only way to succeed is to ensure the enemy doesn't have the ability to stop you.

There's also Tire Protection Chains, which I just think are a really kewl concept; likewise the fact that I'm including the LINK (see what I did there).

I'll show myself out now...

It isn't hard to see why wars drive innovation.

Personally I would be trying a very heavy chain dragged behind a remote controlled truck, as the tuck turns, driving in a sine wave pattern (with some random variation) there is some chance that the chain will trigger some mines., The first mine it hits will break the chain, but if we are lucky that triggers additional denotations and might not take out the truck. Regardless the trucks keep going until they themselves hit mines.

The chains could be similar to anchor chains big boats, not overly expensive, and hopefully they trigger some mines. A a bonus they could have a conventional "rake-plough" from a tractor at the end of the chain, that widens the contact area.

For the trucks have trade in incentives in the US, EU and supportive countries where the government provides a cheap loan for an EV truck if an ICE truck is traded in, in turn the government keeps the ICE truck to ship to Ukraine. Ukraine can keep the best trucks to use as trucks.

Trucks don't need to be full sized class 8 trucks anything with sufficient power to pull the chain can do the job and pickups might tow a smaller lighter chain, any pickup, SUV, or large truck might be able to do the job.

If we can source sufficient volumes of replacement EV trucks we achieve the dual aims of electrifying the fleet, and helping Ukraine.

I know the truck bodies will clog up the field, but a bulldozer can eventually push them up into a pile.

If the trucks draw drones and artillery fire, that doesn't matter they are considered disposable.

The element of surprise would be having these trucks working in small groups in a lot of different areas close to the front line and monitoring results with drones. The Russians would not necessarily know which of these areas Ukraine intended to attack. But Ukraine can find areas with no mines, or clear some areas or at least get some ides of where it would be best to deploy the proper demining equipment.

Last edited:
It isn't hard to see why wars drive innovation.

Personally I would be trying a very heavy chain dragged behind a remote controlled truck, as the tuck turns, driving in a sine wave pattern (with some random variation) there is some chance that the chain will trigger some mines., The first mine it hits will break the chain, but if we are lucky that triggers additional denotations and might not take out the truck. Regardless the trucks keep going until they themselves hit mines.

The chains could be similar to anchor chains big boats, not overly expensive, and hopefully they trigger some mines. A a bonus they could have a conventional "rake-plough" from a tractor at the end of the chain, that widens the contact area.

For the trucks have trade in incentives in the US, EU and supportive countries where the government provides a cheap loan for an EV truck if an ICE truck is traded in, in turn the government keeps the ICE truck to ship to Ukraine. Ukraine can keep the best trucks to use as trucks.

Trucks don't need to be full sized class 8 trucks anything with sufficient power to pull the chain can do the job and pickups might tow a smaller lighter chain, any pickup, SUV, or large truck might be able to do the job.

If we can source sufficient volumes of replacement EV trucks we achieve the dual aims of electrifying the fleet, and helping Ukraine.

I know the truck bodies will clog up the field, but a bulldozer can eventually push them up into a pile.

If the trucks draw drones and artillery fire, that doesn't matter they are considered disposable.

The element of surprise would be having these trucks working in small groups in a lot of different areas close to the front line and monitoring results with drones. The Russians would not necessarily know which of these areas Ukraine intended to attack. But Ukraine can find areas with no mines, or clear some areas or at least get some ides of where it would be best to deploy the proper demining equipment.
Could an aerial drone flown close to the ground map out mine locations?

A Ukrainian Teenager Invents a Drone That Can Detect ...Smithsonian Magazinehttps://www.smithsonianmag.com › innovation › a-uk...
Application of a Drone Magnetometer System to Military ...National Institutes of Health (.gov)https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › articles › PMC8125094