Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like some of the chickens have come home to roost.

Wonder if this is just the "encouragement" the "apolitical masses" need, to take action? History shows revolutions 1917 and in 1979 in Russia typically occur when the chicken return home to roost. The only reason Russia would cave in to peace would be if they see this coming.

Reactions: madodel
Those are some very sketchy looking links to donate. How do we know where the money really goes?
That link I gave was specifically because folk are/were discussing 4WD etc vehicles.

That particular twitter user has a long history of reporting (correctly, imho) news from the front lines and over the last 18-months or so I have seen footage of various vehicles/etc delivered to units. It could all just be a big scam (they do exist, and be careful of people phishing that individual's userID - he is clear in the donation instructions what to be aware of) but if so they have been keeping it going a long time in a fairly close-knit community. Hence my digging out that user's most recent call for donations in respect of 4WD utes. There are of course many other paths to such things, but that is one I judged had a reasonable track record in this specific area.

However there are other more formal ways.

Here is the official Ukraine gov website for humanitarian aid donations, though really that is for large volumes of in-kind aid I think.

This is government and suited more for financial aid, and I think you can choose which sector to contribute to including direct to military aid, not just humanitarian.

Here is a Ukraine-UK expats website that gives a wide variety of links so that you can select and cross reference at leisure. I'm sure there are US ones, but this may be a starting point.

If UKR needs old used pickups, then why doesn't the Democratic West just buy X% of used trucks on the European market and send them to UKR?

I know there is allegedly at least one ex-Swedish Special Forces Operator that buys stuff incl. old pickups and delivers them to the Ukrainains. And I think there is some other Swedish org. that also does this. But I haven't vetted them myself. I am unfortunately not in a position were I feel financially comfortable with giving some of my own personal money away...

If anyone is interested I'm guessing orgs like these can be found...
Would be a good way to incentivize The west to sell their SUV and replace with an EV as well.

Looks like the US military will buy Starlink terminals that can be used in newly Ukraine occupied areas without the concern of SpaceX disabling access.

Considering the density of the mine fields, dragging chains behind a truck isn't going to work. In almost every case the truck will hit mines before the chains do anything. Another thing is the chains just dragged on the ground probably won't create enough ground pressure to set off most of the mines.

Chains have been used to set off mines. Flail tanks were used in WW II.
Mine flail - Wikipedia

There are some flail vehicles in service now, though I haven't seen anything about any being sent to Ukraine.

Wouldn't thermobaric bombs create an over pressure over a large area that would detonate any mine in that area? Couldn't you instantly clear football field size sections of mined zones?

Wouldn't thermobaric bombs create an over pressure over a large area that would detonate any mine in that area? Couldn't you instantly clear football field size sections of mined zones?

I hadn't thought about that, but it might. I'm not completely up to date on exactly how those weapons work, it may or may not create the ground pressure needed.

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
I hadn't thought about that, but it might. I'm not completely up to date on exactly how those weapons work, it may or may not create the ground pressure needed.
They work, they are often used like this but it is a small amount of forward progress and high risk of exposing equipment to fire. The heat triggers the explosives, for this reason Ukraine often sets wildfires to clear mines.

Looks like the US military will buy Starlink terminals that can be used in newly Ukraine occupied areas without the concern of SpaceX disabling access.

There was an article in the New York Times yesterday which included similar information in it. That article was about Starlink in general and the fear of some countries around the world in having all of the Starlink capability under the control of one person. The article referenced the decision made by Starlink to not allow the use of the terminals on maritime drones, and then mentioned that there had been discussions between the US Military and Starlink resulting in what you cited.

Here is the link to the NYT article - it may be paywalled.
Elon Musk’s Unmatched Power in the Stars

There was an article in the New York Times yesterday which included similar information in it. That article was about Starlink in general and the fear of some countries around the world in having all of the Starlink capability under the control of one person. The article referenced the decision made by Starlink to not allow the use of the terminals on maritime drones, and then mentioned that there had been discussions between the US Military and Starlink resulting in what you cited.

Here is the link to the NYT article - it may be paywalled.
Elon Musk’s Unmatched Power in the Stars
Per NYT, SpaceX stopped free service to terminals in Unkraine.

"SpaceX told the U.S. Defense Department that it could not continue the arrangement and asked the Pentagon to take over funding. The company estimated the cost at nearly $400 million over 12 months, according to a SpaceX letter reported by CNN, which was verified by The New York Times."

I am unaware of any other private company who has provided such a large amount and do not understand why folks believe they should continue to fund UKR's war effort.

It seems to me that funding and reliability of continuity should be treated differently. I certainly agree that Pentagon should bear the cost; I also think that in a war footing, it should be not SpaceX but the Ukrainian military who should be able to cancel service for any devices abandoned in Russia-held/recaptured territory.

This could definitely have an impact (literally and figuratively).

At the beginning of the Russian Invasion many Western military experts said it was pointless to give Ukraine advanced Western military equipment because the Ukrainian country bumpkins did not have the technical skills to use them.

"SpaceX told the U.S. Defense Department that it could not continue the arrangement and asked the Pentagon to take over funding. The company estimated the cost at nearly $400 million over 12 months, according to a SpaceX letter reported by CNN, which was verified by The New York Times."

I am unaware of any other private company who has provided such a large amount and do not understand why folks believe they should continue to fund UKR's war effort.
Isn't that letter a year old at this point?

This was discussed at length a long time ago. The service was very much not "free", nor were the terminals! While SpaceX did donate some terminals, a lot of terminals were donated by private donations (not SpaceX but other orgs) or by government funding. The dispute over the subscription was SpaceX trying to request an upgrade in service to $4500 per month instead of the $500 per month tier Ukraine was using.
Elon & Twitter

Also, the service that Elon stopped didn't have to do with the cost either. It was that he stopped service in Crimea outright. Official justification is risk to SpaceX equipment, but when he did it, he also did his controversial "peace plan," which made everyone question his motives.

At the beginning of the Russian Invasion many Western military experts said it was pointless to give Ukraine advanced Western military equipment because the Ukrainian country bumpkins did not have the technical skills to use them.
I never understood that. Ukraine had one of the largest nuclear arsenals in the world and was also a major arms and aircraft producer. Not to mention they built the Mriya (AN-225), one of the largest aircraft in the world to ever fly. They had their own homegrown cruise missile (Neptun) which took out the Russian cruiser Moskva. They have done a good job of converting older anti-aircraft missiles into ground attack weapons.