Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you incinerating that fire will set off mines???!???

I’m pretty sure Roundup-ing otherwise active agricultural fields with Glyphosate herbicide won’t leave enough flammable residue to make much fire; indeed, I was unaware that burning the fields would set off the mines(?).
I was incinerating. That was good..I am slow. Apologies. Russia has just dumped many of the mines because if they plow them into these fields it reveals where the mines are so they have to make do with just dumping them and letting grass grow over them. Good cover but subject to fires. Same in a forest, actually hiding a anti-tank mine by digging a hole means you've got to dig a good sized hole and cover it. Durning snows that's going to immediately show as the turned earth will be either colder or warmer and look different. Then in mud season..forget it. Ukraine is not mine laying friendly just as it is not agricultural plowing friendly except 6 months a year. May-October. The issues then become burying a very dense mine network basically means plowing a trench to emplace a mine, we are talking a 4k mines an acre from what I am reading. It would be a herculean task to do that in one winter, in frozen grounds or mud season- forget it.

I'm no mine laying expert but we play in dirt all day. I've seen the mines. I can't imagine burying many of these while also building the trench networks (which contrary to what we were led to believe...seem quite fine). They have apparently mined literally tens of thousands of acres. When I saw the videos of soldiers literally dropping them out the back of the truck as it trundled through a field I was finally able to understand how it could have been done. Sure a truck and a squad of guys could do 20-60 acre field in a day. They could have done that in low light winter days as long as the ground was frozen. As soon as the grass started growing it covers the mines, perfect natural camouflage. 1 truck in the field was not much of a target especially when there were dozens across two hundred miles. Especially when they were on an offensive campaign that had Ukraine looking to Bahkmut. Anyhow the world has learned a bit on proper mine placement and deception.

The lesson here is not all are uninventive morons. Fight the ones that are, or let those fight the smart ones.

Tree lines are the best option until a good solution is found for clearing the fields, it is worth trying to find a good solution.

IMO a drone vehicle just needs to push an object that exerts more downward pressure (weighs more) than the drone vehicle itself. If the object the drone vehicle is pushing can safely clear all PFM-1 mines in the area, then it is safe for troops to follow afterwards and the object being pushed can provide some cover. It doesn't need to move fast... Troops can remove any anti-tank mines using regular manual detection and removal techniques.

I'm not sure there is a solution, but if it can be found, a good solution shifts the balance of the conflict

The PFM-1 is just one of the types of anti-personnel mines being used. Other pressure tripped AP mines in the Russian inventory is the OZM and POMZ which can be set off by command or tripwire too.
OZM - Wikipedia

POMZ - Wikipedia

The PMN is a more traditional underground mine.
PMN mine - Wikipedia

The PMN is very common, the OZM and POMZ are more typical of a booby trap kind of mine. The OZM is a "bouncing betty" type mine that can be set to pop out of the ground when triggered to cause the most damage possible.

Probably the bulk of the AP mines in the fields are PMN. The PMN has enough of a blast that it will tear up any kind of pressure mine triggering equipment. Mine rollers are usually only good for about 4 blasts before they are too badly damaged to be effective.

The PMN-2 has a plastic body and few metal parts so it's hard to detect with metal detecting equipment.

This is three hours long, but it's an interesting discussion. This is actually two different discussions with two different groups of experts on different facets. The experts didn't agree on what would happen to Russia after the war, but they ran through a number of scenarios. I would agree that most of the scenarios presented are plausible.

One of the speakers threw out an interesting way to look at it: we think of the dissolution of the Soviet Union as something that happened 30+ years ago, but in reality it's still playing out. Probably most of you don't have the time to listen to this (it sat there for a couple of weeks for me), but I found it interesting.

An interesting read.

The headline is misleading. They are extrapolating from one data point. Reading down into the article, one unit got 10 tanks and 5 of them were not operational. In that one instance 50% of equipment was non-functional, but as far as the rest of the army goes, it's unclear how much equipment has been rendered unusable or is delivered to frontline units in poor condition.

There is evidence that Russian equipment losses from wearing out, being poorly maintained, not being rehabbed properly when pulled from storage, etc. is probably very high. Additionally the Russian MoD was not buying much equipment for their own military in the last decade or so. they made a big deal about new weapons they were developing, but without foreign orders their own military couldn't afford the new equipment. Hence the T-14 has been around in prototype form for a decade, but serial production hasn't started.

The army started the war with a fair amount of older equipment and everything has just gotten older as the newer stuff broke down or was knocked out and replaced with old equipment from storage. The Soviets/Russians never took the care the US does to preserve equipment and Russia doesn't have anywhere with a climate like the US high desert, so the reserve equipment started out in poor condition and needed a lot of work to get operational again. Because of the corruption everywhere in the military, a lot of parts were stolen from the reserve fleet and can't be easily replaced. A lot of other things the army needed were stolen and sold on the black market too.

Russia may have 50% of their equipment non-functional at this point. It might be higher, and there is a chance it may be a bit lower, but I think the chances that the number is somewhat high is pretty good.

In the last few weeks Russia has had a number of problems. Their supply system has been under Ukrainian attack, the Ukrainians have started attacking Russian ships in the Black Sea area at ranges further out than ever before, the Kerch Bridge was hit again, and back home the ruble is dropping vs other world currencies, the train volume crossing the Chinese/Russian border is way down, and sabotage in Russia is up. On top of that the Ukrainians are through their first line of defenses in some spots and their big scary offensive gained a little ground, but was pretty much a ho-hum event.

Things aren't going well for Russia right now. As some experts on dictatorships have pointed out, all dictatorships look very strong right up to the point where the wheels fall of and the whole regime collapses. In reality strong man dictatorships are really very fragile once things start to unravel. Are we approaching the point where the wheels fall off?

A number of the VDV units have been gutted and rebuilt at least once during this war. The official strength of the airborne forces is 45,000. I think almost all their forces have been committed. Early in the war the only infantry the Russians had were VDV and Marine units and both got heavily committed, taking heavy losses.

I don't know what the VDV losses actually are, but they are almost certainly high.

According to UKR the number of Russians killed in the Dictator's invasion now exceed a quarter of a million.

According to the Dictator's own propaganda it's at least ~284.000 dead Russians slaughtered in the Dictator's invasion.

Don't they mean killed and severely injured in that UAF reported number?