Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does one know if Putin is close to defeat? By the frequency of nuclear threats.
It does seem to me that the nuclear threats, Army Deputy firings, and manufactured victimhood narratives from the Kremlin have increased in tempo and volume in the last couple weeks, right around the time Ukraine finally started receiving the first drabs of massive US aid to the Kharkiv frontlines, and in the midst of many (a dozen or two?) successful drone strikes against Russian oil refineries.
Those long range refinery strikes have got to be hitting Putin where it hurts.
So, yes, I also read those signs as the Kremlin getting a bit desperate. Their massive push in Kharkiv is bogged down, and now appears to be having the legs cut from under it with the (now finally allowed by Washington) strikes on their rear supply areas. They are still making some slow and costly progress elsewhere, but I get the impression they put a lot of hope and resources into attacking the Kharkiv direction, and it is backfiring spectacularly so far.
With the constant whittling of their air defense, the new sanctions on the secondary banks now possibly slowing the backfilling of the invading army's materiel pipeline, Putin's rosy outlook, brought about (lest we forget) courtesy of the long and painful Mike Johnson/Donald Trump Spring of Shell Starvation ... may be rapidly getting a lot less rosy, and a lot more skunky.
(Feel free to reply with a picture of Putin holding his nose, if the Internet gods can provide.)

Putin claims strategic battle field defeat would mean the end of Russian statehood, while the rest of world wonders where the party would be.
I've heard this before. I find it utterly baffling. I don't know if he really believes this or if he just wants the world to think he believes it.

If this war is getting too painful, just leave. It's not like Ukraine is going to invade Russia.

IMO it's just more of the same empty threats. What matters is that it will be the end of Putin. And of course he's trying to avoid that. As has already been stated: If Russia balkanizes, then that is the absolutely best possible outcome. Regardless – it's probably unavoidable once the Russian Dictator has lost in Ukraine.

Can't find any English reporting on this...

The Russian free-to-play combat multiplayer video game War Thunder developed and published by Gaijin Entertainment was(is?) allegedly trying to access keyboard inputs when using other kinds software. So for instance passwords, credit card numbers or texts that a user may have wanted to encrypt. At least when someone was using macOS Catalina back in June 2020...

In Swedish:

Can't find any English reporting on this...

The Russian free-to-play combat multiplayer video game War Thunder developed and published by Gaijin Entertainment was(is?) allegedly trying to access keyboard inputs when using other kinds software. So for instance passwords, credit card numbers or texts that a user may have wanted to encrypt. At least when someone was using macOS Catalina back in June 2020...

In Swedish:
Hardly surprising, if true. Why would anyone trust anything Russian?

South Korea summons Russian ambassador as tensions rise with North Korea

South Korea summoned the Russian ambassador to protest the country’s new defense pact with North Korea on Friday, as border tensions continued to rise with vague threats and brief, seemingly accidental incursions by North Korean troops.

Earlier Friday, the powerful sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un issued a vague threat of retaliation after South Korean activists flew balloons carrying anti-Pyongyang propaganda leaflets across the border, and South Korea’s military said it had fired warning shots the previous day to repel North Korean soldiers who briefly crossed the rivals’ land border for the third time this month.

Ironically, the only country that might conceivably invade a nuclear armed Russia is China.

I have seen so many videos of Chinese touring the Russian lands near the Chinese border, they almost always have the same reaction. "Such good land and nobody is using it."
Good point. Biggest needs for China is energy, water, food, weapons, technology and oil.
Easiest way for them to become self sufficient would be to take those lands, next to them, from Russia.
The main reason Japan waged war against America is that we cut off their essential oil supplies

Reactions: DanCar
It does seem to me that the nuclear threats, Army Deputy firings, and manufactured victimhood narratives from the Kremlin have increased in tempo and volume in the last couple weeks, right around the time Ukraine finally started receiving the first drabs of massive US aid to the Kharkiv frontlines, and in the midst of many (a dozen or two?) successful drone strikes against Russian oil refineries.
Those long range refinery strikes have got to be hitting Putin where it hurts.
So, yes, I also read those signs as the Kremlin getting a bit desperate. Their massive push in Kharkiv is bogged down, and now appears to be having the legs cut from under it with the (now finally allowed by Washington) strikes on their rear supply areas. They are still making some slow and costly progress elsewhere, but I get the impression they put a lot of hope and resources into attacking the Kharkiv direction, and it is backfiring spectacularly so far.
With the constant whittling of their air defense, the new sanctions on the secondary banks now possibly slowing the backfilling of the invading army's materiel pipeline, Putin's rosy outlook, brought about (lest we forget) courtesy of the long and painful Mike Johnson/Donald Trump Spring of Shell Starvation ... may be rapidly getting a lot less rosy, and a lot more skunky.
(Feel free to reply with a picture of Putin holding his nose, if the Internet gods can provide.)
A real game changer would be if the US sent stealth technology to Ukraine. They would be able to inflict significant destruction to Russian territory. Stealth fighters, bombers, cruise missiles etc could strike most anywhere.

IMG_2353.jpeg

IMG_2354.jpeg

IMG_2355.jpeg

IMG_2356.jpeg

Ironically, the only country that might conceivably invade a nuclear armed Russia is China.

I have seen so many videos of Chinese touring the Russian lands near the Chinese border, they almost always have the same reaction. "Such good land and nobody is using it."

China is more in a position to do so than any other major power. Though China would just like unrestricted access to Siberia's resources for the most part. In a Russia break-up scenario, they will be playing hard to become the primary influence over the new countries in eastern Russia.

Basically do to Siberia what they did to Africa and some other corners of the world.

Youtube video about the capture and details of a Russian turtle tank. At least in this case it was a T-62 with the gun and turret disabled and used just for troop transport. The shell around it was just repurposed sheet metal and the driver was blind except for a small forward opening. No cameras to give a view to the driver. The real protection is from the Electronic Counter Measure (ECM) equipment which either failed or was turned off as the turtle was stopped by a drone bomb drop and then taken out by FPV drones. As the video commentator says, why wouldn't they just uparmor and add ECM hardware to existing personnel carriers instead of this useless junk? Certainly not stealthy with its barn sized shell and 1960's engine bellowing smoke and noise.

😬

In a June 16 interview with the news channel of Ukraine’s army, Armiya TV, an Azov commander admitted to his unit being used to prevent other Ukrainian units from retreating.
The admission comes close on the Biden administration’s decision to allow military aid to go to the Azov unit, which had earlier been banned from receiving aid under the Leahy Law due to its extremist associations.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Surfer of Life