Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought this was already approved months ago or is this an old story being recycled. They just need to ship the damn things. Still an arrival date of early Fall.

U.S. approves shipment of first Abrams tanks to Ukraine

The tanks were approved for allocation and approval was done for training, but the tanks had to be rebuilt to remove the uranium armor and convert the tanks to international export standards. the conversion work is done and the article is basically saying that the tanks have received final release to be shipped.

It's one of those bureaucratic things with multiple sign offs.

It was approved that they could get them months ago, but they had to go through training in I think GERMANY? Maybe also USA before the USA would ship or transfer them from other locations. Still won’t be on the battlefield for 60+ days most likely..hopefully, sooner.

Some training tanks were provided in Germany several months ago, they may have been spare US Army tanks with the uranium armor so were not available for another country to use in battle. The tanks are probably in Detroit right now, that is the US facility for building and rehabbing tanks.

If true that's a "wow". The draft is very unpopular in Russia and it will probably be vigorously resisted. I suspect Putin has been pressured into this by the warhawks.

Another thing is the economic impact this is going to have. The Russian economy is going to take these men out of it and put them into the war where they will not be earning any money to pay taxes. Another thing is they are struggling to give the couple hundred thousand mobiks they have basic weapons and uniforms. Where are they going to get the supplies to give to the now millions of mobiks they want to throw into the fight?

Back in the darkest days of 1941 in front of Moscow they threw untrained men into combat with orders to pick up the rifle of a fallen comrade. It only worked because the trained troops from the Far East that had been released when Stalin learned Japan was striking eastward, not at Russia arrived about a week or two after this desperate move was done. these unarmed mobiks suffered huge casualties against the Germans.

If Russia is imposing martial law to start full mobilization, it could be coming out of desperation.

Interesting, but seems to be an exaggeration or perhaps misreading of what happened. As near as I can tell this is the original source:

That's talking about an amendment to the policy of notifiying the UN. It does not say they are declaring martial law in Russia. Putin does like to make things at least appear 'legal', so this might be a precursor to declaring martial law in the future. The actual text of the amendment has not been published.

My advice for Mr Putin does not spring from some respect for him; it is more a timeless - and timely - observation. His contemplation thereof is, of course, a mere velleity.

Place not your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes.

Well Audubon we had a revolution in American and it changed the world. It changed it again and again...and it is still happening.

We have a revolution in transit happening now and you're invested in it.

Some revolutions change things, others result in more of the same. The latter is more common.

Very large explosion at a factory reportedly making optical sights, thermal imagers, night vision binoculars etc.
The location is north east of Moscow, 400km from the border with Ukraine.
If this was a strike from Ukraine, it seems like quite a significant one.
Russia suggesting it was 'human error' and that the warehouse contained "pyrotechnics".

Another clip from a bystander includes what looks like an unfused arty shell lying nearby, so maybe it wasn't just roman candles and sparklers in there...
Videos circulating show one large explosion, which is not what a "fireworks warehouse" going up looks like.
I hope we do find out the true cause and warehouse contents.

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Yestrday was news re Ukraine action 10-km east of the Antonovski/Oleshky bridges at Kozachi Lar. Today action 3k, west of Oleshky. First raids, then holding ground.

There is going to come a point when Ukraine will have enough ground to get a personnel ferry operating safely, then a vehicle ferry, then in due course a pontoon bridge. First at night then by day. Bit by bit they are making progress.

Very large explosion at a factory reportedly making optical sights, thermal imagers, night vision binoculars etc.
The location is north east of Moscow, 400km from the border with Ukraine.
If this was a strike from Ukraine, it seems like quite a significant one.
Russia suggesting it was 'human error' and that the warehouse contained "pyrotechnics".

Another clip from a bystander includes what looks like an unfused arty shell lying nearby, so maybe it wasn't just roman candles and sparklers in there...
Videos circulating show one large explosion, which is not what a "fireworks warehouse" going up looks like.
I hope we do find out the true cause and warehouse contents.

View attachment 963447

Yestrday was news re Ukraine action 10-km east of the Antonovski/Oleshky bridges at Kozachi Lar. Today action 3k, west of Oleshky. First raids, then holding ground.

There is going to come a point when Ukraine will have enough ground to get a personnel ferry operating safely, then a vehicle ferry, then in due course a pontoon bridge. First at night then by day. Bit by bit they are making progress.

Ukraine just needs to cut the road a few km south of this second place. Combined with other cut bridges, it has an impact on Russian Federation logistics.

1691582283388.png

Not entirely true, I'm sure - but interesting take.... quickest journey (with current traffic conditions) of 17 hours

1691582359472.png

Ukraine just needs to cut the road a few km south of this second place. Combined with other cut bridges, it has an impact on Russian Federation logistics.

I don't think much Russian logistics is going that way (T2206 - M14).

I'd be very interested to know what is the condition of the Dnipro rail bridge. It was damaged by both sides and made un-usable, but there are no good photos of the post-damaged status online.

1691596683615.png

The rail bridge is in the red oval. The red oblongs are where the Ukraine forces have been most active on the east bank in this area. If you look on the map there are also a number of old ferry crossing terminii and/or old bridge construction docks. Ukraine only needs to find one way through. Russia needs to be strong at all these points.

1691596850053.png

If only Ukraine had sufficient air control then all this would be easy, the Western way !

Absent this Ukraine needs to push Russian field artillery back out of range of the river crossing (ferry) terminals so that they can get heavy weapons across safely.

YAY!!

Now let's do the same kind of thing to make IMPORTING all the stuff we are trying to keep Russia from getting their hands on like drones and chips and stuff. Yeah, I know it's a much smaller target than boats full of grain, but still...

The sort of integrated circuits the Russians are buying are not the latest Athalons from AMD, they are low end ICs made in China and other countries like the Maldives. China makes a high percentage of the world's low end ICs, and some of mid-grade ICs. China lacks the tech to make high end ICs. Only a few countries have the skill base to do it, Taiwan is one of the world's leaders and if China invades, all of Taiwan's skilled experts will suddenly move to the US. One of the leading Taiwanese companies is building a factory in Arizona right now. China may capture the foundries, but they won't have the skill to use them.

Low end ICs include devices like the 8051 processor which is heavily used for embedded devices. It's an 8 bit processor developed by Intel in the 1970s. I believe it pre-dates the 8086 processor which was used in early IBM PCs (the first PCs actually used the 8088 which started out as an 8086 that had part of the processor fail test). The 8051 is now off patent and made by a large number of manufacturers and is ideal for a lot of simple uses. Things like remote controls, appliances, etc.

About 10 years ago I worked on a USB interface. The chip I chose had the USB interface combined with an 8051, memory, and peripheral connections. I had to drive a peripheral chassis from this that could be up to the size of an NYC hot dog cart (it was a piece of industrial test equipment). We were looking at purchasing the part in low volumes and they cost about $0.50 each. The compiler to write and compile the code was available for free.

Just this one part is made in the millions every year. If you look at all parts with 8051s, you're looking at many billions of parts.

And that's just one low tech processor. There are lots of them out there. And there are low end parts that don't have processors.

The world IC market is over $500 billion USD a year (expected to top $1 trillion in the early 2030s) and the bulk of it is low end ICs. Trying to corner that market would be a fool's errand and would cause disruptions in the entire world's economy bigger than the problems we had with world trade in 2021 coming out of the pandemic.

Even if China agrees to play along with the US sucking up all the drones, there are always individual players in China who will be willing to break sanctions to make an extra few yuan. The sanctions are forcing the Russians to pay a lot more for many of these things than they used to pay, but cutting off the gray and black market flow is going to be impossible.

I've noted that both Ukraine and Russia have been buying staggering numbers of high end commercial drones, but the prices for these in the US have not gone up by much. That indicates the production of these is massive.

The thing to do is work to cut off the illicit supply route Russia is using. Many of these go through central Asian countries that border Russia. Unfortunately for the US, US diplomats have been ignoring these countries for some time. They focused on them during the Afghan war to support US operations, but as soon as the war was over it was Uzbekistan who? As a result these countries aren't all that thrilled with the US right now.

I don't think much Russian logistics is going that way (T2206 - M14).

I'd be very interested to know what is the condition of the Dnipro rail bridge. It was damaged by both sides and made un-usable, but there are no good photos of the post-damaged status online.

View attachment 963506

The rail bridge is in the red oval. The red oblongs are where the Ukraine forces have been most active on the east bank in this area. If you look on the map there are also a number of old ferry crossing terminii and/or old bridge construction docks. Ukraine only needs to find one way through. Russia needs to be strong at all these points.

View attachment 963509

If only Ukraine had sufficient air control then all this would be easy, the Western way !

Absent this Ukraine needs to push Russian field artillery back out of range of the river crossing (ferry) terminals so that they can get heavy weapons across safely.

I never thought that Ukraine was going to do much more than just conduct raids across the Dnipro, but they are establishing serious bridgeheads on the left bank. Ukraine can't move very fast, but Russia seems helpless from preventing Ukraine from moving. Whatever ground Ukraine has tried to take, they have tended to keep it.

Opening up the left bank of the Dnipro might be the breakthrough the Ukrainians have been looking for.

Germany officially announced they donated two more Patriot air defense launchers to Ukraine.

Nice but not very useful without any missiles. There is a growing world wide shortage of them.

catch 22

grain wars

time is a weapon

There are many clocks for reality

made in the Maldives ???? !!!!!

That's been a story lately. When I first saw it I was wondering if it was some kind of joke, but apparently the Maldives have set up some foundries and the Russians have been buying heavily from the Maldives. Falls into the "weird but true" category.