Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read someone who was of the opinion a few weeks ago that a lot of Russians agree with Prigozhin that the war was a mistake, but Prigozhin also made the sunk cost argument that Russia has already spent so much that there is no choice but to continue and a lot of people go along with that too.

It's the South Indian or Burmese Monkey Trap problem.
monkey trap - Wiktionary, the free dictionary

Russia thought it was going to get a benefit from invading Ukraine, but once they grabbed on, they are now unwilling to let go. As the costs mount, the unwillingness to accept defeat grow too. Especially since they have been told for so long that they were such a great power.

The United States struggled to accept the defeat in Vietnam too. There are still some people who believe the US could have won if it did x, y, or z. As far as the US experience in Vietnam (as well as Iraq and Afghanistan) goes, it's virtually impossible for an outside force to put down an insurgency.

Russia has stumbled into one of the other Kobiyashi Maru scenarios of warfare: biting off more than they can chew. They brought too small a force to try and subdue a country that was willing to fight for their land. Wars like this can last a long time, but ultimately the invading power loses, many times catastrophically.

WW II is the shining example of this. All three of the major Axis powers made the same mistake and took on countries that ultimately would defeat them.

It looks like they got that landing ship out of the water. I read that there was no dry dock large enough for it anywhere in the Black Sea except for at Sevastapol. I guess that was wrong. The ship is out of service for a while though.

Lot of things blowing up around Moscow lately. This could be Russians sabotaging the war effort. There is no evidence that it's Ukrainian drones.

Yes it is a huge drydock and there are 3 others at the same port. I think it could hold quite a large tanker.

On both vessels the external hull damage is not really the point, though in both cases the hole is approx 3-8m2. The holes themselves can be plated over fairly easily and the photos I've seen don't show any observable gross structural damage apart from some localised wrinkling and splits. (I've seen bigger vessels with worse cracking going straight back into service with some very rudimentary patching). The Ropucha LST is approx 4,000 tonnes displacement and the Sig tanker is about 6,000 tonnes displacement. The Sig was an aviation and diesel 'products' tanker delivering fuel to the Russian military bases in Crimea and Syria, so definitely a valid target. The LST is a military vessel. Both of considerable military utility. There were some internal photos of the Sig showing the engine room with a metre or two of seawater in it, including being part way up a lot of the electrical cabinets. A lot will depend on whether the seawater penetrated anything in the Sig that cannot simply be dried out - hopefully it has reached things that need throwing away and replacing with unobtainable spares. Re the LST I think it came quite close to rolling over and the crew did well to save her - she was very down by the stern and badly listing. That suggests her machinery spaces are utterly flooded and so will likely require a very substantial strip & replace effort. Hopefully too much to be worth the effort. Either way they are out of activity for the time being, and occupying repair yard space and consuming resources.

--------------

Robotdyne

--------------

I have no idea whether the Russians distributed ther minelaying efforts evenly between successive defensive lines, or front-loaded them. Does anyone here know ?
I agree that this is really the question. It is somewhat inconceivable to me that the minefields could have been laid more than a few km deep covering critical and logical crossings. Apparently the other area of penetration ..Urhazie ? (spelling ukrainian names not my forte) is of great concern to russia so I assume that's a point where the minefields are shallow.

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
I agree. Especially having gone through divorce court.

There is also the saying one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. While I think most of us here would agree that Russians are the terrorist here, even more so given their actions in Irpin and Bucha.

There is still a large contingent of Russians who feel Russia was backed into a corner. Maybe not enough to justify this war but enough to justify some military response. I can't say I agree with them but I do understand where they are coming from. I've argued with friends who I've known for 30+ years and they have been so bombarded with propaganda and don't have good access to internet. Others aren't technically savvy enough to find news outside Russia. As a result, they've been fed the propaganda for years. The old adage applies, if you repeat a lie often enough, people will believe it.

I gave up trying to change their mind. It is hopeless. Just as it is with a large portion of the Russian population. Now that husbands and sons aren't coming back from vacation in Ukraine, more people are waking up to the reality of the war in Ukraine and what a blunder it is. At the same time, some are saying what aren't we doing more. More as in the sense of dropping a nuke, dirty bomb or whatever other terrible weapons they might have in reserve. They've been told that Russia is the number one power in the world and can't understand why it isn't already over.
and learning we are absolutely no better in the US just reinforces this feed people crap long enough and they will believe it message.

and learning we are absolutely no better in the US just reinforces this feed people crap long enough and they will believe it message.

Though the difference between US media and Russian media is the government in Russia actively suppresses other news sources trying to limit the population to one type of news only. In the US there are many who have chosen to only expose themselves to one type of news, but there is no government entity forcing them.

You still end up with brainwashed people, but the breadth of the impact is less because there is a segment of the population seeking out varying news sources and truly educating themselves, and they are allowed to do that. The number of people who are sheep just consuming a narrow range of news not only in the US but some other developed countries is concerning though.

More terrible footage of everyday life in Ukraine right now. Looks very much like another 'double tap' strike on a civilian target, which seems to be Russia's current preferred terrorist tactic.

The UN are going to have to find a new place to stay when they visit. They're so upset, they've called on Russia to stop these attacks. That's told 'em.

Last edited:
Ultimately the end of the war hinges on what happens in Russia. It could be Putin leaving office (possibly feet first) and his successor blaming it all on him and suing for peace, it could mean revolt, or economic collapse or something else we haven't thought of. But this war will end when Russia quits.
I don’t see Russia quitting unless the war is ramped up in a serious way. It is all upside for them right now. They are holding the land. Winter is coming. Trump is coming. Ukraine equally have internal arguments that can easily worsen.

I don’t see Russia quitting unless the war is ramped up in a serious way. It is all upside for them right now. They are holding the land. Winter is coming. Trump is coming. Ukraine equally have internal arguments that can easily worsen.
Numerous potential downsides for Russia that we have discussed in this thread at length. Currently we see the Ruble to Dollar may break 100 at any moment and underlying economics continue to worsen for Russia. This is in spite of them raising interest rates and further capital controls recently.

Russia could break at any time. Even if they don't break and continue towards a North Korean vector, making this relatively low cost for them guarantees their further aggression - which is expensive for everyone else.

"As long as it takes" support for Ukraine remains one of the cheaper and better options. Increasing support is better. It costs the West a relatively small part of their GDP (order of magnitude less than Russia at least).

In line with nearly daily drone visits to Moscow, Russian media note that the Kremlin is considering closing some or all Moscow airports. (I suspect main reason is Kremlin fears they might accidentally shoot down one of their own civilian planes with their air defenses).

This is good. The average citizen and elites in Moscow should have to feel ever increasing pain for their war of aggression.

Looks like more rot in the Ruble. Let’s see where things pickup on the other side of this weekend.

Sorry if linked tweet does not load within this post.
Closing before this weekend, officially:
1 Dollar = 99 Rubles
1 Euro = 109 Rubles

However, (Russian) Tinkoff Bank:
1 Dollar = 111.35 Rubles
1 Euro = 119.9 Rubles
Noted the difference between the sell & buy prices ≈20% difference and typically it’s 1-2%
Post asserts banks don’t want rubles.

https://x.com/officejjsmart/status/1690074590523891712?s=46&t=jAgIffgC68qiSzAyPG4hEQ

Last edited:
We have had that hope or 18 months now. I sure hope you are right.
18 months ago most here thought Ruzzia would roll over Ukraine. When they failed miserably at that people began to question the effectiveness of the Ruzzian forces. Over time we learned that corruption and lying were endemic and most (not all) were poorly trained. War isn't easy. In June 1944 many Americans expected to have the war over by Christmas. By December there was the Battle of the Bulge and people began to think that maybe it would be a lot longer. By May 1945 it was over and the NAZIs were crushed. My point is no one knows how long this will continue. It takes as long as it takes to defeat evil.

Looks like more rot in the Ruble. Let’s see where things pickup on the other side of this weekend.

Sorry if linked tweet does not load within this post.
Closing before this weekend, officially:
1 Dollar = 99 Rubles
1 Euro = 109 Rubles

However, (Russian) Tinkoff Bank:
1 Dollar = 111.35 Rubles
1 Euro = 119.9 Rubles
Noted the difference between the sell & buy prices ≈20% difference and typically it’s 1-2%
Post asserts banks don’t want rubles.

https://x.com/officejjsmart/status/1690074590523891712?s=46&t=jAgIffgC68qiSzAyPG4hEQ
Let's not attribute to lack of foreign reserves that which can be attributed to some light war profiteering

Reactions: madodel and iPlug
U.S. now back to producing crude oil at a level not seen since March 2020 during the COVID downward spiral. For first week of August we're now up to 12.6 million barrels per day.

Would rather this stuff stay in the ground around the world, but the next best thing is lowering Russian oil profits.

Weekly U.S. Field Production of Crude Oil (Thousand Barrels per Day)

Russia is not experiencing a lot of upsides. They have succeeded in slowing down the Ukrainians, but they haven't stopped them. The slowness has allowed them to keep the charade with the Russian public going, but it's wearing thin.

Economically this war is ruinous on the Russian economy. The entire Russian defense budget was $66 billion USD in 2021. Estimates are they are spending $500 million to $1 billion on this was every day. That's $182.5 billion to $365 billion a year. At least three times their annual defense budget. And they still need to spend most of their annual defense budget on top of that on the navy, nuclear forces, etc.

Russia still has a trade surplus, but it's way down from before the war
Russia Balance of Trade - July 2023 Data - 1996-2022 Historical - August Forecast

The trade surplus now is about where it was when Putin took office and the country was a complete mess then.

Their income is way down and their expenses are way up. Somebody posted above that the Russian economy is officially in recession. Any country that goes into a recession during a major war is in economic trouble.

Putin is hoping he can hold out until January 2025 and hopes that Trump will win, but the odds of a Trump win, while not zero is pretty low. I could go into why, but the moderators probably wouldn't like it.

I forget where I saw it, but someone I read was saying that wars always end one of two ways: when a country loses its will to continue, or it loses the ability to continue. Losing the will to continue can take many forms: the people rebel, the economy collapses, and/or the leadership changes. The ability to continue basically hinges on one of two things: the country loses the ability to get more people or equipment to replace loses or their equipment losses get so steep they just can't field the equipment they need to continue.

In WW II the Allies destroyed the means of making more war goods which ground the Axis powers to dust.

As long as political will holds out in the west, Ukraine's flow of equipment is good. Neither side is facing the losses Paraguay faced in the Paraguan War where something like 85% of the men in the country were killed. Russia's arms manufacturing is mostly done outside the range of Ukrainian weapons, though there has been a lot of sabotage.

Russia started the war with a huge equipment reserve and they have been tapping it hard. There still are some reserves, but the quality of equipment coming out of them is getting poorer and poorer. Russia also had huge reserves of artillery shells, bombs, and mines. We don't know how much supply is left, but we do know they have deployed a vast number of artillery shells and mines.

We have evidence at least some of Russia's reserves have been tapped pretty hard. Artillery have complained about being shell starved. We see ancient tanks from the 50s arriving in theater. Their artillery has gone from mostly SP guns to a large number of towed artillery. There is some evidence that they are running low on working guns.

If the Ukrainian numbers for Russian losses are accurate, those numbers don't include losses due to wear and tear which 18 months into a major war are going to be huge. I've seen at least one video of Russian equipment in southern Russia that had been completely stripped and abandoned. An entire field littered with the chassis of an array of Russian vehicles. These were probably stripped to keep other vehicles running.

In infantry equipment there are clear signs Russia is in trouble. The Ukrainians have recovered WW II era rifles from trenches they have overrun on many occasions. There are many videos of Russian infantry complaining that all they have to fight with was one clip of ammunition and nothing else. There are many pictures of Russian soldiers either killed or running away from drones wearing street shoes, no boots. The uniforms Russians are getting are a patchwork quit of odd gear. Some captured helmets are plastic which are stamped "made in China" and "does not provide any protection". They are basically LARPer gear.

There is talk of Russia doing a mass mobilization. If they tried and there weren't mass revolts (which are quite possible), they have no way to train these people and nothing to give them for equipment. What they will have is 8 million men wearing Adidas track suits armed with sticks and no clue what they are doing.

The Chinese showed in the 1950s that a huge mass of poorly armed and poorly trained men can achieve something, but the losses will be horrific for the Russians and they will not be able to take much ground from the Ukrainians. We will see Bakhmut like offensives from the Russians will hundreds of thousands of dead in each battle.

Russia can't afford to lose this generation of young men. Their generational pyramid is already lopsided with more older people than younger. They need all the younger people earning incomes and paying taxes to pay for the retired people. If they lose a significant chunk of that generation that may be game over for Russia as a nation.

The mutiny has left Putin looking weak, which is very dangerous for any dictator. He has spent 20 years surrounding himself with weak willed sycophants who would not challenge his power. Anyone who might threaten his power fell out a window or drank the wrong tea. He is a terrible war leader, but he is very, very good at playing Russian peacetime politics.

Probably the only reason he hasn't been overthrown is the fact that there is nobody who could credibly replace him.

The Russian economy is showing cracks, if they get too big, their entire house of cards will collapse at once. Russia will likely go into hyper inflation and protests that could turn into rebellion will likely follow. I'm sure some of the people here better versed in economics than me can explain what a collapse of the Russian economy would look like.

I think the most likely two scenarios for the end of this war could either be triggered by open rebellion or by economic collapse. Something happening to Putin is another scenario that is possible. Russia's manufacturing is under only mild threat from sabotage, and for now they are able to scrape together something to give their men to fight with. Something happening back in Russia to make them unable or unwilling to continue is the most likely scenario.

The breaking point could happen next week, next year, or they might be able to hold the leaking boat together until 2025. It's like driving on the highway and seeing a car with a wheel that is obviously wobbling. You don't know when that wheel is going to break off, but you know it will happen eventually if they continue to drive on it. The safest thing to be is somewhere else when it happens.

Russia requested a meeting in the UN Security Council on the supply of weapons to Ukraine on August 17​

To Putler:
x.jpg