Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few hours ago Roscosmos reported their Russian Luna 25 spacecraft reported an “emergency situation on board”.

No updates so far and nothing on RT. Not an encouraging sign for team Putler to repeat an unimpressive 50+ years ago prior solved feat.

A new report by Roscosmos states that it crashed on the surface of the moon. I second those who are glad that they couldn't pull a propaganda win out of this to boost the morale. This outcome more adequately reflects the current state of Russian science than a lucky succesful landing had.

Both the US and USSR had their space mishaps, but the Soviets had a lot of problems landing on other celestial bodies. I think all their attempts to land on Mars failed. They succeeded a few times on the Moon, but several attempts crashed and one missed the Moon entirely.
To be fair, the USSR had more success landing on Venus than the US did.

A new report by Roscosmos states that it crashed on the surface of the moon. I second those who are glad that they couldn't pull a propaganda win out of this to boost the morale. This outcome more adequately reflects the current state of Russian science than a lucky successful landing had.
Here is one of many articles reporting the crash:

Russia's first lunar mission in 47 years smashes into the moon in failure

I wonder what the ramifications of this failure will be? The USSR had a vibrant space program. They beat the US and the world to many space milestones. For many years (until 2020 and the SpaceX Crew Dragon), the only way to get to the International Space Station was on a Russia rocket.

This Luna 25 failure seems to accurately reflect the decline in technical prowess of Russia compared to the USSR (although a sample size of 1 is not significant). IMO the success of the Russian Soyuz program was due to inertia from the Soviet days.

Putin needs successes in order to keep kicking the Special military Operation can down the street. Thank goodness Luna 25 was not one. I'm hoping this failure will be a setback for Putin and not just a lack of positive PR.

You would think the world might have an interest in providing longer range weaponry to eliminate all of Russia's long range strategic bombers. Some small subtle shifts in weapons provided might be in order. The F16 is capable of delivering a phenomenal array of weapons.

Western countries do not want to see their weapons used inside Russia. For attacks on Russia, Ukraine is on their own.

I don't think the US ever tried to land on Venus. The USSR did send more missions to Venus, but they had a lot of failures along with a number of successes.

I wonder what the ramifications of this failure will be? The USSR had a vibrant space program. They beat the US and the world to many space milestones. For many years (until 2020 and the SpaceX Crew Dragon), the only way to get to the International Space Station was on a Russia rocket.

This Luna 25 failure seems to accurately reflect the decline in technical prowess of Russia compared to the USSR (although a sample size of 1 is not significant). IMO the success of the Russian Soyuz program was due to inertia from the Soviet days.

Putin needs successes in order to keep kicking the Special military Operation can down the street. Thank goodness Luna 25 was not one. I'm hoping this failure will be a setback for Putin and not just a lack of positive PR.

The worse things get for Putin, the better things are for most of the rest of the world.

To be fair, the USSR had more success landing on Venus than the US did.

Today the "space race" has truly shifted, revitalized by the Xprize many years ago. It's now a vibrant western led private business competition with deep levels of innovation. We mostly know SpaceX and Blue Origin but includes on the launch side Rocketlabs (new zealand representing), Firefly and many others. Low cost mid space is here. Just amazing innovation once NASA got out of the way. Sadly, not as much from Europe. India making a few moves. China ...monolithic. Satellite innovation is exploding as well know that launch platforms are beginning to proliferate. Kepler communicatins, the well known satcube and starlink are all bringing various forms of innovation (scale, orbits, components, weight reductions, shielding, etc). Absolutely a case where rocket launch costs reductions are unleashing more innovations.

I would guess that given a bit of money there are 4 private firms that could land on the moon.

I think that is the point. Ukraine needs more artillery. Things are picking up though, the offense is gaining more ground, on a weekly basis, than early summer. Good news. We just need to wipe out lots of orcs and even a shorter range HIMARS that had a massive impact would be helpful in clearing deeply fortified lines.

No confirmation yet whether the moon was using autopilot at the time.
Recent reports from Russian sources state that black Polish NATO soldiers (yes that actually write such things) deliberately sabotaged the mission by (pick one to 5 of the following):

1. Moving the moon
  2. Providing free vodka to monitoring team
  3. Bioengineering Lunar microbes to attack orc space probes
  4. Providing bioengineered mosquitos with space suits
  5. keeping Orcs from enslaving ukrainian scientist needed to actually build a landing module that works
As a result they will focus efforts on using a landing rover to (pick 2):

1. Get the director of rosco to the Bahamas
  2. Build a larger version designed to land (by 2024) on the sun to take control of the only working fusion reactor in this solar system ensuring funding for decades to come.

So who decides when training is complete? U.S., Netherlands or Ukraine?
Isn't it a good assumption there has been familiarization and 'informal' training going on for quite a long time now?
Plus training in the best simulators in one or more NATO countries?

Or does the phrase mean U.S. still hasn't made a decision about when to let Ukrainians start flying the first squadron of F-16s?

So who decides when training is complete? U.S., Netherlands or Ukraine?
Isn't it a good assumption there has been familiarization and 'informal' training going on for quite a long time now?
Plus training in the best simulators in one or more NATO countries?

Or does the phrase mean U.S. still hasn't made a decision about when to let Ukrainians start flying the first squadron of F-16s?
2 weeks?