Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Swedish Public Service Radio interviewed a Ukrainian sapper who is tasked with clearing mines. He said that autumn is his favorite season. A large part of why is that the visibility is often quite crappy. It also sounded like the mine clearing itself got easier when the ground gets really wet and muddy, but the reporter translating to Swedish unfortunately didn't really explain how that works...

For the few select that understands Ukrainian or Swedish. At ~52:48:

Yeah, I don't want to delve in to the political, but the idea of going the extra mile to pursue peace is foreign in this system of things. I find that sad.

I got a surprising number of dislikes on that post. I can only hope they are disagreeing with Lex's characterization of him, and not with the idea that being a proponent of peace is a controversial idea...
I've heard Elon say that allowing all forms of speech on Twitter/X, even things that offend many like far-right/left/extremist opinions is a form of peace (One of the greatest tools for peace as he said on JRE). Lex very much believes this as he said in multiple pods, that blocking anyone (he's usually talking about the left blocking the right) creates more hate and more violence.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with that (here), but obviously that can be a controversial take, especially for those on the far-left that Elon/Lex is frequently talking about.

It's more nuanced than that. People wanted to somehow punish Russia for its aggression, which isn't a bad reaction at first blush. But there are better options. In the interview, Elon articulated his position in much more depth and provided viable alternatives.

First, his stance on the Ukraine war was that a year ago he was predicting what we see now - WW1 style trench warfare where whoever goes on the offensive will lose troops at a 3-1 ratio. We saw that with Russian troops initially, and now we see it with Ukrainian troops. There is no solution from this state other than a negotiated peace. Had it been done a year ago, many lives would have been saved.

Second, his other point is that the way to win actual wars (as opposed to battles) is via conspicuous acts of kindness. He pointed to the Marshall plan and how the US uplifted and rebuilt Japan and Germany after defeating them militarily. This ensured lasting peace. For this segment he was talking about this in the context of the Israel/Hamas war.

Elon's points make a lot of sense. Putting them into practice is hard, but worthwhile to try.

I'm fairly certain it was military campaigns that won WW2 and not conspicuous acts of kindness. Not sure hugs and flowers would have defeated the Nazis. The Marshall Plan was brilliant(and kind), but that was more about winning the peace than winning the war.

I'm fairly certain it was military campaigns that won WW2 and not conspicuous acts of kindness. Not sure hugs and flowers would have defeated the Nazis. The Marshall Plan was brilliant(and kind), but that was more about winning the peace than winning the war.
Elon is gas good intentions, but no amount of kindness will defeat Russia's dreams of rebuilding the USSR.

We don't have Italy trying to re-establish the Roman Empire today, as much as they are proud of their history, they have moved on.

I agree with Elon that attacking can cost a lot of lives, the Ukrainians are well aware of this and trying to preserve the lives of soldiers is a high priority.

Just stopping all attacks would also Russia to keep all of the territory they have claimed, and to slowly get the rest of the territory they want. Unlike Ukraine so far Russia isn;t overly concerned about casualties.

The other point that Elon is missing is, the decision on any settlement is entirely a matter for Ukraine, they decide how much of their territory they wish to reclaim.

I did think Elon's understanding of China was very good, but his understanding of Ukraine and Russia seems a bit patchy to me.

However, more generally Elon is very well informed and knowledgeable on just about everything, no one is perfect.

I hear you, but if you are referring to the OP I think you are, that person has posted for years in other threads with informative pieces. Given that, I’m uncomfortable labeling them a “troll,” even though I strongly disagree with their views. There were other posters here for whom that designation fits more squarely.

Some people have access to bad news sources and allow that to shape their opinions. There are a few good sources from the US with good quality news about the war in Ukraine, but most of it is pretty bad. The best news sources are coming out of Ukraine itself.

It's more nuanced than that. People wanted to somehow punish Russia for its aggression, which isn't a bad reaction at first blush. But there are better options. In the interview, Elon articulated his position in much more depth and provided viable alternatives.

First, his stance on the Ukraine war was that a year ago he was predicting what we see now - WW1 style trench warfare where whoever goes on the offensive will lose troops at a 3-1 ratio. We saw that with Russian troops initially, and now we see it with Ukrainian troops. There is no solution from this state other than a negotiated peace. Had it been done a year ago, many lives would have been saved.

Second, his other point is that the way to win actual wars (as opposed to battles) is via conspicuous acts of kindness. He pointed to the Marshall plan and how the US uplifted and rebuilt Japan and Germany after defeating them militarily. This ensured lasting peace. For this segment he was talking about this in the context of the Israel/Hamas war.

Elon's points make a lot of sense. Putting them into practice is hard, but worthwhile to try.

Any sane person wants peace, but a naive approach to peace is a recipe for disaster. Nevil Chamberlain has gone down in history as the fool who tried to negotiate peace with Hitler. The truth is a bit more complex, Chamberlain was trying to buy time for Britain to rearm, but in the history books he's cast as a fool.

For any negotiated peace that is going to work, there has to be some key elements in place. Both sides need to be serious about actually wanting peace. To come to the negotiating table in good faith, each side either needs to be so sick of fighting they are ready to bury the hatchet, or one side is in such a poor position compared to the other that the weaker side is trying to claw something back from the negotiating process, but they are going to lose the war.

The Russians got out of WW I when a large portion of their population said "we're done with this" and continuing the war became untenable. In 1918 similar things were happening in Germany which brought them to the negotiating table.

Wars like the USSR in Afghanistan, the US in Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq, and other failed invasions, the invading power realized that they were not going to get anywhere and cut their losses. Wars like the Mexican-American or Spanish-American wars ended when the losing side sued for peace and gave the US land in exchange for being left alone.

Wars like WW II or the American Civil War ended when one side completely collapsed and was occupied by the other side. Those sorts of war endings are rare and Ukraine is not going to occupy Russia to end this. Russia occupying Ukraine is not going to happen either because Ukraine is not going to allow it as long as there are Ukrainians still alive.

From the Nevil Chamberlain example, negotiated settlements with a certain type of dictator is a fool's errand. These types of dictators are ones what have proven territorial ambitions outside their borders and have the means to produce their own weapons. Saddam Hussein had territorial ambitions, but Iraq had virtually no weapons industry, so ultimately he could be contained. Orban in Hungary is a dictator, but he shows no signs of wanting to invade his neighbors.

Hitler was the double threat. Germany had a well developed arms industry, and Hitler had big territorial ambitions. Putin doesn't have quite the arms industry behind him that Hitler had, but he has demonstrated he does want to invade his neighbors and he does have an arms industry. Russia also has access to natural resources that Germany never had.

If Putin negotiates a settlement any time soon, he will just be doing it to give himself time to rebuild the army so he can do it again. Putin has also demonstrated that he will not abide by any negotiated settlement. He will stick to it just as long as it's convenient for him, then he will break it.

Reasonable people realize that when they make an agreement with someone, it's worth sticking to that agreement for many reasons. It establishes you as a trustworthy person, as long as the agreement is fair to both parties it's a win-win, and ethically it's just the right thing to do.

Not all people are reasonable. Robert Heinlein once said "never appeal to a man's better nature, he may not have one." (I would replace "man" with "person", but the quote otherwise stands up to time.) It isn't limited to personality disorders, but people with cluster B PDs (borderline, narcissistic, and antisocial) almost always consider other people to just be suckers when they try to negotiate, especially the last two. There are different mechanisms going on inside their heads, but they all lack empathy for others and they tend to think of themselves and their needs as at the center of the universe.

For these people negotiating with someone else is just buying time for their schemes. Having an agreement in place gives them time to work on their next scheme and they will break the agreement as soon as it is convenient to them. They think anyone who tries to negotiate with anyone else is weak and the people they make agreements with are just suckers who will become marks down the road when they pull the rug out from under them.

A lot of dictators and would be dictators have cluster B PDs. Especially narcissistic and antisocial. Putin has always demonstrated a lot of antisocial traits.

The only way to get Putin to stick to a negotiated settlement is if breaking the settlement would be much worse for him than sticking to it. But enforcement mechanisms for a negotiated settlement with Ukraine are going to be hard to come by.

As long as Putin is in power in Russia, a negotiated settlement is foolish. If Putin falls from power and the new Russian leader is making noises about blaming the whole thing on Putin, a workable settlement might be possible.

I cringe whenever I see pleas for Nevil Chamberlain style negotiated settlements from people like Elon. It's dangerously naive.

It's more nuanced than that. People wanted to somehow punish Russia for its aggression, which isn't a bad reaction at first blush. But there are better options. In the interview, Elon articulated his position in much more depth and provided viable alternatives. There is no solution from this state other than a negotiated peace. Had it been done a year ago, many lives would have been saved.

Russia has taught the world that it does not respect any kind of treaties, it bows only to power (China, currently). Balkanization seems to be the only light in the tunnel. Until then the sleeping giant is just waiting for another opportunity, which is what Elon and the likes don't seem to comprehend. Maybe he thinks Russia will be more easily defeated next time? Don't they learn? Don't we learn?

The Richard C. Levin Professor of History at Yale University – Timothy Snyder is backing this:

Safe Skies is an innovative sensor system for detecting air targets. Of Ukrainian design, it can even detect targets at very low altitudes, and predict their course for further neutralization. AI technology allows the system to anticipate where the next threats may come from.

Safe Skies proved its effectiveness during tests against both cruise missiles and enemy Shahed 136 UAVs.

Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
Russia, if there is not one today, is working on preventing an existential crisis by not allowing Ukraine to join NATO. ...
There is a real existential crisis for Putin if Ukraine becomes free. Ukraine is well positioned to expose the cronyism, graft and corruption that exists in Russia, and that will eventually bring down putin regimes.

Anyone surprised that Putler is changing his insane story from Ukraine was a bunch of NAZIs to they are fighting against the evil West?

Putin’s New Story About the War in Ukraine
How Russian Propaganda Went From “Denazification” to Fighting the West

The western sanctions against the people of/inside Russia is helping him at this. The West should fight with kindness against the people instead.

The feeling of being outcast is a powerful feeling and it fuels many if not most conflicts and acts of violence. The division to "them and us" is the root of all evil. Instead, we should take care of each other like family members, and also give an (encouraging) kick in the butt when someone deserves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckminster
Let's talk about Ukraine, Oil, and bloggers....

Shahed drones attacks in Ukraine have slacked off. Analysts think Russia is stockpiling them to go after Ukraine's energy infrastructure this winter. Ukraine says "fine, if you go after our infrastructure this winter then we're going after yours". Since oil is just about the only thing keeping Russia's economy afloat, this could go badly for Russia.

Beau then explains how Western analysts glean useful information from Russia bloggers.

Russians going all in now in their assault on the northern flank of Avdiivka. Losses were up to 800 troops yesterday, almost all reduced in the march to the front. Estimated that Russians have massed 40K troops in rear areas to conduct this attack. Time for some ATACMS clusters in the assembly areas to break up these formations (this is a gentleman's war: Soviets would have used persistent chemical agents for area denial in these circumstances)

11 Nov: BRUTAL!!! RUSSIANS BARELY CROSS 100 METERS AND GET OBLITERATED | War in Ukraine Explained

Sigh…

IMG_1612.jpeg

Yes, wrong!

Once again, calls the Administration into account for not loading up resources for Ukr sooner/in depth and providing advanced weapons earlier in the War.

Unfortunately, post Korea War & in many examples, USA has a history of not staying the course/applying requisite resources required to win.

Instead of being petty about the whole Nordstream 2 situation, Germany is stepping up to the plate with plans to double their military aid to Ukraine. Good on them!