Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd prefer if there were presidential elections.
I guess there are risks of Russian infiltration during an election at these times, also whether an election can even be adequately done at time of war?

would be quite difficult I would have thought, especially registering votes of those who are occupied, displaced or are refugees.

Is there precedent for this, can it even be done?

I looked it up too and the term "arrest" is used in some parts of the world to describe the seizure of a ship by authorities or creditors. In American English the term "arrest" is only used for people being taken into custody, so it looks odd to someone who is primarily familiar with American English.

There are a fair number of differences between North American and international English. There are a few differences between Canadian and US English. The primary ones I can think of at the moment are spelling. Some words that end with "er" in US English end in "re" in Canadian English such as "centre". Similar for American "or" words like "color" spelled as "colour".

The English spoken in other English speaking countries differs from American English in a lot of other ways. Most Europeans who learn English as a second language learn British English, so they are more familiar with the terms for things in British English than American English. I watch a lot of video and listen to podcasts from other English speaking countries so I have picked up on a lot of the differences.

I realized how much I had absorbed when I came across a Youtube clip from a stand up show by Australian comedian Adam Hills. I thought it was hilarious and showed it to my partner. I had to explain every joke because it was full of Aussie slang.

I still run into terminology differences I need to look up such as using "arrest" to refer to a ship seizure. Reading about the war I've seen Eastern European writers refer to ship seizures as arrests and thought it was just a clumsy translation of a term common in Eastern European languages, but it appears to just be a term uncommonly used in American English.

Americans can be very provincial unfortunately, but geography has contributed a lot to this. Draw a radius of 1000 miles from London and you will encounter most of the languages of Europe spoken as national languages. Native English speakers in Europe normally come into contact with more varied cultures than North Americans do. In the entire New World essentially three languages are spoken: English, Spanish, and French. The US has people who speak other languages than English, and there are pockets where only Spanish is spoken, but you can roam most of the territory north of the Mexican border and just about everyone is going to understand English, except for Quebec and a few pockets near Quebec in other provinces. If I draw a radius of 1000 miles around where I live, not only will everywhere I go speak English, they will all have the same accent, except for lower BC and I could adapt my accent to fit in there quite easily.

There are cultural differences, but not to the degree you get with different cultures speaking different languages with different histories. Americans can travel quite far without a passport. If I drove the distance from London to Moscow in the US, I wouldn't even reach Chicago.

Anyway, that's just an aside. Chalk up the misunderstanding to American English speakers who haven't encountered the term before. It's just not a term we encounter. It is kind of a term of art in legal matters, so outside of that venue it hasn't been used much before authorities started seizing/arresting the yachts of the oligarchs.
We do talk about "arrested development" meaning it stopped.

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate

Seems complicated...

...] Zelensky's administration has been none too pleased with Klitschko's handling of Kyiv's protection since February 2022. Their public comments repeatedly took the mayor to task for the poor conditions of the city's bomb shelters and prolonged blackouts.

Klitschko and Zelensky have been at odds since the president's first year in office. The conflict has played out in repeated investigations and attempts to remove the mayor from the Kyiv City State Administration.

I for one do not know who's in the right here...

• Informative
Reactions: DanCar and navguy12
would be quite difficult I would have thought, especially registering votes of those who are occupied, displaced or are refugees.
Yes, would have to forgo getting votes from occupied territories.
Is there precedent for this,
Not that I'm aware of, although mail in votes makes it easier.
... can it even be done?
Would it be hard with mail in ballots?

A friend emailed me this video; it is eight minutes long and somewhat depressing on its face.

Can someone have a look and provide some informed context, especially for his bearish views vis a vis raw materials from Russia for the future requirements of the transition to 100% renewables? Thanks.

Zeihan has some interesting data and when he cites data, it does tend to be real. However he runs off into odd conclusions from the data and he bases some of his conclusions are shaky data. For example he claims that the Russians quit reporting accurate birth data in 2005. I haven't been able to corroborate that anywhere.

It is true that the materials we need for a sustainable future is a broader mix of elements than what we needed for the last generation of transportation and energy generation. But the materials are there in the Earth's crust, we just haven't tapped them yet. Developing enough nickel is going to be one of the most difficult elements. Known nickel reserves are just about equal to the expected demand. We need to find new nickel deposits. They are out there, we just haven't found them yet.

Russia has a contribution to a lot of world mineral resources. It produced about 9% of the world's nickel before the war and about 5% of the copper. It's the #2 producer of platinum, but it only produces 19 metric tons a year while South Africa produces 130. Palladium is a bit closer between #1 and #2. SA=80 tons, and Russia=74 (2021 figures)
https://www.madisontrust.com/inform...t-most-gold-silver-and-other-precious-metals/

A mistake many people make when looking at the future is assume the game is zero sum. In other words the pie is a fixed size and if something disrupts one slice, everyone is hurt. There are limits to natural resources, but we haven't found all the world's natural resources. If one resource country goes offline, it will hurt short term, but other sources will be found. The pie will get larger.

Another thing Zeihan doesn't take into account is that people figure out ways around problems. He's predicting that German production will fall off a cliff in the coming decade because they are going to hit a demographic wall with a shrinking population. What Germany is likely to do is what they have been doing for a while and moving production out of Germany to other countries with a younger workforce. The United States is re-industrializing and has a fairly good pool of workers. Germany already makes cars in the US, they can make other things here too. They could also export production to other countries.

The UK could re-industrialize. Thanks to immigration the UK hasn't seen the population decline that much of the EU is seeing.

What Zeihan sees as game over scenarios are more likely just speed bumps. Germany will probably decline as a producer of goods, but the German companies will find other places to make those goods. Russia is in terminal decline for many reasons and the war has sped that up. The resources in Siberia might be offline for a while, but Moscow will likely get too weak to hold onto Siberia at some point and somebody will go in and extract those minerals. Siberia could break away from Moscow, or Siberia might be a semi-independent entity able to make their own trade deals. The wealth from these resource sales won't flow back to Moscow, but will stay in Siberia making them stronger than Moscow.

The future will likely have a number of bumps. The CCP may collapse in China causing disruptions, Russian resources could stay out of world markets after the war for a while, other countries will have to change the way they do things. But I don't think Zeihan's vision of a post global market will come to pass.

This guy is mostly about demographics and geography. Uses those factors to explain current events and predict the future. He is super positive about the USA. Says we are stopping being the police force to the World, and have the opportunity to pull back to our shores, partner with Canada and Mexico to become the absolute finest Country in the World.
We have most all the natural resources we need to be self sustainable for tech, energy and food. We have the best work force and political system.
Says our future is bright, however the rest of the World will also need to sort out their own issues and quit depending so much on America to protect them from their projected future.

For the dominant country in the world to become isolationist would become a world disaster. If the US picked up all its toys and went home, China would run rampant.

WW I left the US as the world's dominant economy. Instead of becoming the world leader it became very isolationist. The most isolationist its ever been. As a result fascist cancers were able to sprout and grow in Germany, Italy, Spain, and Japan (Japan wasn't as fascistic, but it was an aggressively expansionist empire out to conquer large swaths of Asia). A little over 20 years after the war to end all wars ended, the world was embroiled in an even worse war. One that the US tried to stay out of for 2 years, but war eventually came to it.

The British and French contributed to this by not listening to Wilson's ideas for bringing about a peace. They wanted to continue the Great Game.

If the US had the kind of role post WW I that it has had since WW II, Germany probably would have been stopped a lot sooner than it was. I'm not as sure about Japan being stopped sooner, but the War in the Pacific probably would have happened sooner when Japan was weaker.

When you're a small power with a small population with neighbors who don't want to hurt you, you can afford to be isolationist and do fine. Switzerland has been isolationist for more than 500 years. Sweden was, but the war in Ukraine showed them that it wasn't going to work anymore.

Big powers can't afford to be isolationist. It would be like all the billionaires in the investment markets all decided to cash out and stuff it in their mattresses. It would cause financial havoc.

It's in the Ukrainian constitution that elections are not held during a time of martial law. Perun commented on that this week. He pointed out a lot of countries do that and Britain did not hold scheduled elections in 1916 or 1940 because of WW I and WW II.

We do talk about "arrested development" meaning it stopped.

True, but the context here is to take something other than a human being into the custody of the authorities. US English uses "arrest" to refer to humans being taken into custody, but when we talk about anything else being taken by authorities we use the term "seize". We don't use "arrest" for animals taken by authorities either. If authorities take animals who are in an abusive situation, nobody says "animal control arrested three starving horses today".

Zeihan has some interesting data and when he cites data, it does tend to be real. However he runs off into odd conclusions from the data and he bases some of his conclusions are shaky data. For example he claims that the Russians quit reporting accurate birth data in 2005. I haven't been able to corroborate that anywhere.

It is true that the materials we need for a sustainable future is a broader mix of elements than what we needed for the last generation of transportation and energy generation. But the materials are there in the Earth's crust, we just haven't tapped them yet. Developing enough nickel is going to be one of the most difficult elements. Known nickel reserves are just about equal to the expected demand. We need to find new nickel deposits. They are out there, we just haven't found them yet.

Russia has a contribution to a lot of world mineral resources. It produced about 9% of the world's nickel before the war and about 5% of the copper. It's the #2 producer of platinum, but it only produces 19 metric tons a year while South Africa produces 130. Palladium is a bit closer between #1 and #2. SA=80 tons, and Russia=74 (2021 figures)
https://www.madisontrust.com/inform...t-most-gold-silver-and-other-precious-metals/

Nickel won't be much of a problem. The majority of batteries used in the transition to renewables will be nickel free chemistries like LFP and LFMP. Besides, Canada and the US have lots of nickel. It's the rare earth elements like neodymium that would be more problematic if China decided to cut off exports.

Zelensky has been attacked by many such as Elon. Having elections would alleviate that issue.
IDK…

What mechanism was employed by Mr. Churchill in the UK in WW2?

I’m not being facetious, but I believe it is generally accepted that Mr. Churchill was the right man at the right time and then he immediately lost the election held shortly after the war in Europe was over.

IMO, when Mr Zelensky turned down the offer to be airlifted out of harms way by asking instead for ammunition to fight, he appeared to me to be the right man at the right time.

Perhaps some form of coalition government as per the UK example from May 1940 to May 1945 could be considered.

I don’t look at the re-election of FDR in 1944 as a viable example because the United States was not under the same level of wartime catastrophic destruction that the UK suffered.

Nickel won't be much of a problem. The majority of batteries used in the transition to renewables will be nickel free chemistries like LFP and LFMP. Besides, Canada and the US have lots of nickel. It's the rare earth elements like neodymium that would be more problematic if China decided to cut off exports.

The island formerly known as Marcus Island isolated in the middle of the North Pacific has enough rare earth minerals to satisfy all the needs of many countries for decades. The resource needs to be developed though.
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...re-earth-metals-is-sitting-in-japanese-waters

The tremendous potential of deep-sea mud as a source of rare-earth elements - Scientific Reports

IDK…

What mechanism was employed by Mr. Churchill in the UK in WW2?

I’m not being facetious, but I believe it is generally accepted that Mr. Churchill was the right man at the right time and then he immediately lost the election held shortly after the war in Europe was over.

IMO, when Mr Zelensky turned down the offer to be airlifted out of harms way by asking instead for ammunition to fight, he appeared to me to be the right man at the right time.

Perhaps some form of coalition government as per the UK example from May 1940 to May 1945 could be considered.

I don’t look at the re-election of FDR in 1944 as a viable example because the United States was not under the same level of wartime catastrophic destruction that the UK suffered.

Yes, US territory was safe by 1944 and it was never at much risk. The US is a natural fortress and no power has ever had the ability to do an opposed landing on the continental US after 1812. Even then the British were not really capable of holding territory for very long. The British did burn Washington DC, but then they scarpered.

“The Polish police watch but do nothing,” Valeriy, a Ukrainian driver, said bitterly while killing time in a border service station. “The facilities for drivers are bad. We think this is deliberate. We’ve organised our own system so people can take rest. If the queue starts to move one driver calls us.”

Valeriy claimed the Kremlin and its spy agencies were secretly paying the Polish drivers to block the crossings. “It’s obvious. Russia benefits from this chaos,” he said. The allegation has got traction because a far-right Polish party that backs the protests, Confederation, has several explicitly anti-Ukrainian MPs.

Polish unions, however, say this is a genuine working-class protest. They say that their logistical companies, the biggest in Europe, cannot compete with cheaper Ukrainian drivers who do not have to follow EU law. “We demand the reinstatement of the pre-2022 system of transport permits,” Rafal Mekler, the Polish protest organiser said.

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
Perhaps the value of showing unflagging material support for Ukraine is seen to be worth the risk.
Yes. Finland has now completely closed the russian border, since Putler started sending asylum seekers from 3rd world countries across the border.

Whole thing was ridiculous, russians would drive these people close to border, them give them bicycles. They actually crossed over with bicycles.. not riding but walking with the bikes.. also in clothes like jeans when it was -20 c.

What does lose war mean? Permanent stalemate supported by Europe etc. or worse?

I would suggest listening to the interview with Timothy Snyder that was posted a couple of days ago. Snyder is good at casting ideas in a different light. He addresses the "stalemate" arguments as well as the idea Ukraine will lose without US support. The pro-Putin Republicans managing to block aid to Ukraine would hurt the war effort, but the EU+UK dwarfs the Russian economy and can supply Ukraine. Not as well, but they can supply them.