Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes a discharge petition requires 50% + 1 to sign on to force a bill to the floor for a vote. That means 4 Republicans have to flip to get the votes needed as of now with 3 Republican vacancies. The odds of that happening are extremely slim as they'd lose any power/committee assignments in the Republican House Caucus, would probably become unelectable in their own districts and would most likely receive serious death threats to themselves and their families as well. But anything is a possibility, even if it is a very remote one. The US Congress has not been this nonfunctional since probably 1861. Sad that Ukraine is paying the price for this dysfunction.

I remember hearing about a discharge petition during the budget negotiates. It was described as something that takes quite some time to get through. Easier said than done unfortunately.

Well, nearly half of the Senate Republicans voted to advance the bill. I know the House is a bit of a clown show, but there must be a handful of semi-reasonable Republican representatives. Right? Fingers crossed.

Everything has cloture slapped on it now. Cloture is a backdoor form of filibuster. One side slaps cloture on everything now, which requires 60 votes to get past.

All Republicans voted against it along with Menedez of New Jersey, Padilla of California, Sanders of Vermont, Warren of Massachusetts, and Schumer of New York. The leadership usually holds back and votes last, for procedural reasons. Someone who votes no on a losing vote can come back later and claim they have reconsidered to bring about a new vote. This leaves the door open for the vote to happen again. Some of the other nos might have been doing the same thing.

The bill approving aid for Ukraine and Israel did get past cloture, but it's destined to die in the House.
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us...aid-bill-after-failed-border-deal-2024-02-08/

That's ridiculous. SpaceX can easily deactivate individual Starlink terminals. What do you think they do when Starlink subscribers stop paying subscription fees?

I'd personally pay for any Starlink terminal in use by Russians in Eastern Ukraine. Preferrably in use at their HQs, if they are foolish enough to do so.

SL terminal sends its exact location back to the sat. network in real time. You can 'unsubcribe' that high-value target at the decisive moment via OTA update (from a GLSDB battery -- 10 min before a squadron of Abrams smashes thru their position). Chaos.

Even if the Russians are sending encrypted traffic, that worse still for Russians. They may believe their traffic is secure, then Ouch! Who killed more NAZI's in WW2, George S. Patton or Alan Turing? Who sank the Japanese Carrier Task Force, "Bull" Halsey or "Purple" intercepts? The U.S. has supercomputers. The Russians are fools if they are using Starlink.

TL;dr Amateurs should not use crypto.

P.S. SL v2 birds with 'sky-to-grd' cell capabilities can locate and intercept any standard LTE cell phone in the area (moblik's pockets). The map plot paints what is known as a "target-rich environment". I'd love to run that war-room.

P.P.S. Denys is over his head, he should settle down and think instead of reacting emotionally.

If such a Starlink whitelist exists, then I agree there is no excuse for Russians to have working Starlink terminals unless the whitelist is out of date due to lost/stolen devices. But we don’t know if that’s the case, do we?
See above. This is a hemorrhage/shock for Russian commanders. I'd use the opportunity to bleed them when it hurts.

For everyone else, if you don't think this is likely, read your history about Howard Hughes' Glomar Explorer, the ship which recovered parts from sunken Russian ballistic-missile submarine K-129 off Oahu in 1974.

Last edited:

So about 70 years ago there was a cold war with the Soviet Union that lasted for about 50 years. Instead of universal health(joking, sort of) care we decided to build an arsenal to take on the Soviet Union.

But then that war never happened so we stuck this arsenal into a bunch of warehouses to gather dust for all of eternity.

Most of what we give Ukraine comes from these warehouses. Its things we would never use in a war today and things we have no reason to replace.

Um. And, not only that. Trump attempted to get the current Ukrainian president to put up some false dirt on Hunter Biden. Which the UKR president did not do. And if memory serves, once the beans had been spilled on this event, led to the first attempt to impeach Trump.

Trump's a vindictive type. My guess is that, if he becomes president, he'll do his level best to destroy the Ukraine whilst toadying up to his BFF, Putin.
OK, I wrote the above, what, five days ago? And I was honestly expecting that it would take until Trump got back into office before doing all the toadying up and all. Little did I know that two days ago the prediction would come true, early.

Did I win something? 😁

From this morning’s Guardian newsfeed:

• Russia’s registration of candidates for the March presidential election has closed, Tass reported on Sunday, with a list including Vladimir Putin and three politicians who all support Moscow’s war in Ukraine. The list did not include the Russian anti-war candidate Boris Nadezhdin after the Russian election commission barred him on a technicality from running. Nadezhdin said he would challenge the decision in Russia’s supreme court.

🤣🤣

IMG_1874.jpeg

Nato chief says Trump remarks may put US and EU lives at risk​

Kremlin denies its troops use Elon Musk's Starlink​

The Kremlin has said that Elon Musk’s Starlink satellite internet system was neither certified for use in, nor officially supplied to, Russia, and therefore could not be used.

Ukraine, which has used Starlink for military communications throughout its conflict with Russia, said on Sunday that Russian troops were using Starlink in parts of Ukraine they control, Reuters reported.

In a call with reporters, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said:

This is not a certified system with us; accordingly, it cannot be officially supplied here and is not officially supplied. Accordingly, it cannot be used officially in any way. (…)

If the speaker of the House allows a vote on the Senate aid package for Ukraine, will the right wing ask again for speaker to be removed? And if they do, will democrats go along again with it and oust the speaker?
Quote: Intel Chair Mike Turner says he’s confident Speaker Mike Johnson will allow a vote on a Senate aid package.

TL;dr Amateurs should not use crypto.
I would like to clarify this statement.

Amateurs absolutely should use cryptography that is designed and implemented by experts.

I can personally assure you that Starlink cryptography was designed and implemented by experts. I just can't tell you how I know.

I would like to clarify this statement.

Amateurs absolutely should use cryptography that is designed and implemented by experts.

I can personally assure you that Starlink cryptography was designed and implemented by experts. I just can't tell you how I know.

Cool. Cound you also tell me about the 'NSA Key' in my Microsoft Windows Registry?

Russians are fools if they depend on Starlink, both for connectivity (located) and security (cyrpto).

The company Elon is keeping these days is absolutely appalling. I fully expect deplorable opinions will be voiced by all four.

IMO a lot of Elon's extremist opinions these days are originating with the company he is keeping. Emotionally he's 13. He wants to belong to the cool kid's clique and his "friends" are using him for their own ends.

Just because someone is brilliant in one area doesn't mean they are even capable in all areas. Frequently extremely intelligent people have huge gaps in their capability to get on in the world. I've known a number of them.

So about 70 years ago there was a cold war with the Soviet Union that lasted for about 50 years. Instead of universal health(joking, sort of) care we decided to build an arsenal to take on the Soviet Union.

But then that war never happened so we stuck this arsenal into a bunch of warehouses to gather dust for all of eternity.

Most of what we give Ukraine comes from these warehouses. Its things we would never use in a war today and things we have no reason to replace.

Yes, most of what's being sent to Ukraine is military surplus. A lot of MRAPs were sent because the US bought a lot of them during the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, but now that those wars are over, the US military doesn't want them anymore. They were designed for crew survival if they drove over an IED. It also makes them very survivable if they hit a mine.

The US is still using a lot of cold war equipment. Heck the B-52 is still in service. The newest B-52 is older than I am, and I'm not exactly a kid.

If the speaker of the House allows a vote on the Senate aid package for Ukraine, will the right wing ask again for speaker to be removed? And if they do, will democrats go along again with it and oust the speaker?
Quote: Intel Chair Mike Turner says he’s confident Speaker Mike Johnson will allow a vote on a Senate aid package.

When the Republicans took control of the House in 2023, they slipped in a new rule that any single member could start the process to eliminate the Speaker. Matt Gaetz used it to turf out Kevin McCarthy. It could be used again to get rid of Johnson if he doesn't do what the most extreme members of the caucus wants. And they want chaos and dysfunction.

I'm not optimistic about the chances of Johnson allowing a vote on the air package.