Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is one of the several reasons it remains not correct for those who call the current status a "stalemate". The terrestrial front lines are not moving significantly, but that does not define a stalemate.

Some reasons we are NOT in a stalemate include:

1) the Russians are sacrificing an increasingly greater ratio of their soldiers compared to Ukraine
2) the grain corridor was opened back up and the Russian Black Sea fleet continues to get sunk and pushed back farther
3) as noted here, the Russian Air Force is being destroyed at an absurd clip in the last 7-8 days and Russia is increasingly less able to project air power (for reconnaissance and munition delivery)
4) F-16s should be here in a few months
5) longer range missiles for Ukraine seem more likely now than a few weeks ago...

Sad that we could save many more Ukrainian lives and swing this more in their favor by escalating support for them instead of the opposite. And even if we did not care for the Ukrainians, this is chump change for the West to strongly improve their security and position against tyrants.
Apparently Russia has been producing more jets than it's lost in the war, according to Binkov.

….“Putin thinks that Ukraine should not exist, for him the Ukrainian people have no reason to exist,” he said. “So they attempt this genocide of the Ukrainian people. It’s not just a military battle; they also shoot to destroy kindergartens, schools, universities, hospitals, houses, just like in Israel—they destroy everything. When we go to these villages, we see this horrible destruction. They do this against the Ukrainian people, but often they tell so many lies by claiming they are liberating us from ‘Nazification.’ That’s just not true.”…

Apparently Russia has been producing more jets than it's lost in the war, according to Binkov.

According to Binkow in this video, he is referencing the relatively low kill estimates up until the end of 2023. However, in just in the last week, Ukraine has destroyed ~8 high value aircraft (Su-34, Su-35, A-50, etc). That is on top of another ~$350 million A-50 just last month. These have not been in production for a long time and are not replaceable. Russia has perhaps 1-2 more working A-50s and no aircraft in line to take over their reconnaissance roles.

Meanwhile, the U.S./EU is trying to clamp down on sanctions evasion as Russian aircraft use numerous Western parts/chips. Monetary resources are not unlimited for Russia either, and these aircraft are very expensive to replace, so the more Russia tries to ramp aircraft production, the more they will drain some other vital war machine resource.

Reports coming in of another A-50 being downed fairly near where the first one was hit, but further to the east in Krasnodar Krai, which could confirm the rumours it was friendly fire.

If so, that's a massive embarrassment regardless of whether it's RUS's or UKR's doing.

They will have barely a handful left now and probably not all of those are in working condition. Not to mention a crewing shortage.

If it was hit by UKR, perhaps this is preparation for the deployment of the first F-16s?

It's possible. Aircraft like the A-50 are up there mostly to spot aircraft coming in at low altitude. Take those out and the Ukrainian air force will be able to operate without being seen.

Why does it look like several bright burning blobs appearing? What are we seeing?

Oh... and also, AGAIN!! AGAIN!!! Disarm Russia!!

Edit- the A-50 photo on Defense-Blog looks like such a pristine Faberge of an airplane too.

As others have said, it looks like burning fuel. The hit probably blew off a wing and ruptured the fuel tank. The two pieces are falling to earth with the fuel pouring out of the halves of the fuel tank and burning the whole way.

This is one of the several reasons it remains not correct for those who call the current status a "stalemate". The terrestrial front lines are not moving significantly, but that does not define a stalemate.

Some reasons we are NOT in a stalemate include:

1) the Russians are sacrificing an increasingly greater ratio of their soldiers compared to Ukraine
2) the grain corridor was opened back up and the Russian Black Sea fleet continues to get sunk and pushed back farther
3) as noted here, the Russian Air Force is being destroyed at an absurd clip in the last 7-8 days and Russia is increasingly less able to project air power (for reconnaissance and munition delivery)
4) F-16s should be here in a few months
5) longer range missiles for Ukraine seem more likely now than a few weeks ago...

Sad that we could save many more Ukrainian lives and swing this more in their favor by escalating support for them instead of the opposite. And even if we did not care for the Ukrainians, this is chump change for the West to strongly improve their security and position against tyrants.

Your thinking is right in line with Timothy Snyder. He had an essay a couple of months ago railing against the people who describe this war as a stalemate. He pointed out that a stalemate is a term from a game like chess where you are constrained by the pieces given to you by the rules of the game. But war is not chess. You aren't limited to one queen, two bishops, two knights, etc. If you have the ability, you can put as many queens on the board as you want. It comes down to political will and industrial capacity.

But he also pointed out that while things are largely stalled on the ground, the naval war is very definitely going Ukraine's way and at that time Ukraine had done some significant damage to bases in Crimea. Now they are picking off the most valuable aircraft in the Russian air force, so far with impunity. Ukraine has also stuck at targets deep within Russia which has done damage to Russian production and forced them to pull air defense systems back into Russia.

It's a terrible idea for Russia if we simply keep re-supplying Ukraine. Russia will attrit their military and be spent after about 3 years.

However, since the end of 2023 it appears Putin has confidence that he has the US political system sufficiently jammed up that no US aid may come to Ukraine. At least until after the 2024 election. Who knows what happens after. So it may be a brilliant gambit by Putin that appears to be working as of now. It appears to me that Ukraine is beginning to rapidly decline. We may well see a "Lanchester Square Law Collapse" that some here have predicting.... only about Ukraine instead of Russia. Pretty gloomy reading lately: Ukraine Situation Report: U.S. Warns Of Looming “Catastrophic” Arms Shortage

A Lanchester Square Collapse is a catastrophic loss of trained personnel with the inability to replace them. Russia has gone through this and is just throwing bodies at the line instead of using trained troops to accomplish objectives with minimal casualties. The Russians are trying to use mass to compensate for a lack of skill. To some degree it's working, but the costs are steep and they can't keep it up indefinitely.

Ukraine is not losing troops at a rate anywhere near Russia and they are replacing lost troops with green troops who have a more comprehensive training regime than the trooper they are replacing. The lost soldier had experience the green replacement didn't have, but the training is more relevant to current conditions and the green guy is going to come up to speed faster.

Ukraine is facing shortages of many supplies, but Europe and other non-American allies will probably be able to keep them in defensive supply for a while. An army consumes much less supply on defense than on offense and non-US allies can supply basics like small arms ammunition and at least some artillery ammunition.

I'm disappointed more Americans aren't standing up to the Fascist Putin and his thugs. Perhaps more people need to study what happened during WW2 and Hitler. There should only be one response: a quick and decisive action. The cost maybe high, but alternatives are more costly in the long run. Inviting more thugs to try to take over the world.
Suggestion: Constitutional amendment allowing the presidency to ask for volunteers from prisons to fight in a foreign war.

Reactions: dhrivnak
S-200 SAM being suggested as the missile which took out the A 50. Plausible as it has a range of 300km and UKR have been using them for air and ground attacks.
Uses radar so flares won't be a defence and I still think those were flares being dropped as they were seen before the missile hit if you look at the full video clip.
Full video here
(I don't know how to insert 'X' video clips!)

The full video shows two airborne explosions. One is nowhere near the aircraft and could have self-destructed or been intercepted by a missile seen launching from the ground.
The other missile hits after the plane had dropped several flares, at which point it clearly loses altitude rapidly on fire.

Of course some are trying to suggest an F-16 could have been responsible, but that seems unlikely given the target!
There's no doubt though that the number of RUS aircraft downed recently is a significant development and might be due to some other weapon or platform UKR have only just received.

I wonder if Viktor Afzalov (RUS Aerospace commander) is glad he got the job?

Last edited:
S-200 SAM being suggested as the missile which took out the A 50. Plausible as it has a range of 300km and UKR have been using them for air and ground attacks.
Uses radar so flares won't be a defence and I still think those were flares being dropped as they were seen before the missile hit if you look at the full video clip.
Full video here
(I don't know how to insert 'X' video clips!)

The full video shows two airbourne explosions. One is nowhere near the aircraft and could have self-destructed or been intercepted by a missile seen launching from the ground.
The other missile hits after the plane had dropped several flares, at which point it clearly loses altitude rapidly on fire.

Of course some are trying to suggest an F-16 could have been responsible, but that seems unlikely given the target!
There's no doubt though that the number of RUS aircraft downed recently is a significant development and might be due to some other weapon or platform UKR have only just received.

I wonder if Viktor Afzalov (RUS Aerospace commander) is glad he got the job?
Yeah, that video pretty clearly shows that the A-50 was releasing numerous defensive flares. And they may have worked against one missile fired. But not the second.

I'm disappointed more Americans aren't standing up to the Fascist Putin and his thugs. Perhaps more people need to study what happened during WW2 and Hitler. There should only be one response: a quick and decisive action. The cost maybe high, but alternatives are more costly in the long run. Inviting more thugs to try to take over the world.
Suggestion: Constitutional amendment allowing the presidency to ask for volunteers from prisons to fight in a foreign war.
I just finished watching a 23 year old series called Band of Brothers yesterday and thought that those WW2 veterans must be spinning in their graves.

The second last episode, Why We Fight, was especially poignant; I wondered just how much different the current Russian gulag state of affairs is…

IMG_1912.jpeg

Dear great people of a great country, I am immensely proud of each of you. I admire each one of you. I believe in each one of you. Any normal person wants the war to end. But none of us will allow Ukraine to end.That is why when it comes to ending the war, we always add: on our terms. That is why, along with the word peace, there is always another word: just. That is why, in the future, the word independent will always appear alongside the word Ukraine. This is what we fight for. And we will prevail. On the greatest day of our lives.I thank all of our soldiers, our people, and everyone around the world who stands with us and the truth. Glory to Ukraine!

I just finished watching a 23 year old series called Band of Brothers yesterday and thought that those WW2 veterans must be spinning in their graves.

The second last episode, Why We Fight, was especially poignant; I wondered just how much different the current Russian gulag state of affairs is…
Band of Brothers is a national treasure. I'm surprised that you hadn't watched it earlier. The fact that it's a true story makes it all the better. So many great scenes. The one where Spiers sprints through the grouping of Nazis, delivers instructions to the group on the other side, and sprints back gives me chills every time.

Last edited:
It's a terrible idea for Russia if we simply keep re-supplying Ukraine. Russia will attrit their military and be spent after about 3 years.

However, since the end of 2023 it appears Putin has confidence that he has the US political system sufficiently jammed up that no US aid may come to Ukraine. At least until after the 2024 election. Who knows what happens after. So it may be a brilliant gambit by Putin that appears to be working as of now. It appears to me that Ukraine is beginning to rapidly decline. We may well see a "Lanchester Square Law Collapse" that some here have predicting.... only about Ukraine instead of Russia. Pretty gloomy reading lately: Ukraine Situation Report: U.S. Warns Of Looming “Catastrophic” Arms Shortage

Maj. Gen. Chip Chapman doesn't seem to be worried about a Ukrainian Lanchester Square Law Collapse:

Band of Brothers is a national treasure. I'm surprised that you hadn't watched it earlier. The fact that it's a true story makes it all the better. So many great scenes. The one where Spiers sprints through the grouping of Nazis, delivers instructions to the group on the other side, and sprints back gives me chills every time.
I was unaware of the existence of the series Band of Brothers, as well as The Pacific, until I began to watch Masters of the Air earlier this month when my wife told me about the other two series.

So I bought the two blu ray sets and am now catching up…