Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Hungarian parliament has voted in support of Swedish Nato membership.

In Swedish:
Unable to find an estimate of how many more weeks until the final steps are completed, but they are:

Now that the parliament has approved the move, the decision will be sent to Hungary’s interim president, László Kövér, who will have five days to signoff on it and send it to the US state department in Washington.
According to Nato protocol, the US government must be notified of member states’ ratification of a new country. The secretary general then invites the new country to accede to the treaty, which is then sent to the US state department, which formally invites them to become a Nato member.

Hungary approves Sweden joining Nato after months of delays

Unable to find an estimate of how many more weeks until the final steps are completed, but they are:

Now that the parliament has approved the move, the decision will be sent to Hungary’s interim president, László Kövér, who will have five days to signoff on it and send it to the US state department in Washington.
According to Nato protocol, the US government must be notified of member states’ ratification of a new country. The secretary general then invites the new country to accede to the treaty, which is then sent to the US state department, which formally invites them to become a Nato member.

Hungary approves Sweden joining Nato after months of delays

It will be interesting to see how this procedure changes if the USA drops out of NATO next January.

It will be interesting to see how this procedure changes if the USA drops out of NATO next January.
A few weeks ago I would have said: "No matter who wins in the US in November, the US will stay in NATO".
BUT - the Former Guy has moved the Overton Window far in the opposite direction ... already. And he always doubles down on controversial statements - always. And there are many months left to double and redouble on his already more-than-troubling statements. And his supporters continue to cheer no matter how far he has gone on this topic.
Although a law passed recently keeps the President from withdrawing without Senate approval IIRC, a President opposed to a particular NATO decision could slow walk all approvals, Article 5 - required help, etc. even if such slow walking broke the terms of the treaty. No one can make a recalcitrant President send the troops where he doesn't want to send them, treaty signatory or not, unfortunately. Would all hell break loose in the US politics if he did this? Maybe, but it sort of has already. Could we take the Executive to the Supreme Court to enforce an international treaty we signed? Does that even make logical sense? And how long would THAT take?
In short, although we would be in NATO, in could be In Name Only - making us Americans "NINO's"?
Does the above make sense or am I falling for the fear hype?

Don't believe the pre-election scuttlebutt.....that's just political posturing BS by both sides. US is NOT dropping out of NATO no matter who wins and I suspect will still be a member decades from now.

The election is not going to be as close as the click-bait, horse-race corporate media would have you believe. Don't fall for the fear hype.

The actual election results vs the polls are consistently ranging from about +6 D to +11 D. It's been running that way for about 2 years now. In the primaries Biden is consistently getting more vote than predicted and Trump less. In the most recent special election in the NY 3rd Congressional district the polls were showing the Democrat Souzzi winning by 1, but in the end he won by 7.7.

If the Congressional House map in 2022 was the same as what it will be this year, the Democrats would control the House. Republicans made illegal gerrymanders in many states and thanks to lawsuits brought by Mark Elias, the maps have been redrawn in many of those states. In New York alone the Democrats will probably pick up 5 seats. In total it's likely the Democrats will pick up about 17 seats just fro redistricting if the vote is the same as 2022 according to Elias' estimates.

Don't believe the pre-election scuttlebutt.....that's just political posturing BS by both sides. US is NOT dropping out of NATO no matter who wins and I suspect will still be a member decades from now.

Congress passed a law that requires consent of Congress to withdraw the US from NATO. The president could screw around with the alliance, but couldn't withdraw.

"​

War in Ukraine: Macron doesn't rule out sending Western troops on the ground, announces missile coalition

Le Monde with AFP
Published today at 12:37 am (Paris), updated at 12:30 pm

[...] While there was "no consensus" on the sending of Western ground troops to Ukraine, "no option should be discarded. We will spare no effort to ensure that Russia does not emerge victorious in this conflict."

Macron said a new coalition would be set up to supply Ukraine with "medium and long-range missiles and bombs for strategic strikes," adding there was a "broad consensus to do more and quicker." He added: "Every avenue must be explored to achieve our goal. Russia cannot triumph in this war." [...]

A French presidential official, speaking anonymously, emphasized the importance of countering any perception of disarray following Ukraine's recent setbacks on the battlefield. "We aim to send a resolute message to Putin that he will not prevail in Ukraine," the official asserted. [My u.] [...
"

Kind of wanted to read that, but they won't let me without me giving my email address, apparently.
It's a subscription site but usually any article not labeled as for "Members only" everyone can read. I wish more subscription sites were like the NYT and the WaPost and allow a limited number of free shares.

Reactions: navguy12
Two Su-34 down so far today.
Can't figure a better explanation for Russia's increased man and materials self-inflicted carnage, other than that Putin wants to show some terrestrial wins before his dictatorial self reappointment election next month. Then he can move on to more mass conscription. "Hey guys, look, Avdiivka...we are winning".

The election is not going to be as close as the click-bait, horse-race corporate media would have you believe. Don't fall for the fear hype.
On the other hand, one side would love you to believe that so that you do a "protest vote," thinking it wouldn't change the overall results, which played a factor in previous elections that were closer than thought. Being cautious makes more sense than assuming the best.

On the other hand, one side would love you to believe that so that you do a "protest vote," thinking it wouldn't change the overall results, which played a factor in previous elections that were closer than thought. Being cautious makes more sense than assuming the best.
Based on what I read in The Outlier (chapter 25, The Defeat), congressman John Anderson (Republican from Illinois) who ran as an “independent” syphoned off democrat votes as “a protest vote” in 1980.

• Informative
Reactions: petit_bateau
In all likelihood, based on recent history, the POTUS election will come down to the 'usual suspects' of 4-5 swing states that are actually in play demographically. That said, the future doesn't always follow the past. For myself (not in one of those 'lucky' states) I still plan to stay engaged, as any "surprise" state could put one or the other candidate over the top.
BTW, another week has gone by and the House Republican leadership has successfully starved Ukraine of ammunition -- again. I hope those leaders, and their full membership (which has not revolted against their leader and due to the current [crazy] House rules, could easily do so), are proud of their accomplishment. Perhaps they would like to go abroad and tour Avdiivka now. Am I too harsh? Doesn't seem at all that way to me. Reports are now that fired shell ratios are 5-1 or more in Russia's favor - a direct result of House Republican leadership (and membership) FTD (Failure To Deliver).

Kind of wanted to read that, but they won't let me without me giving my email address, apparently.
I have a bunch of free browser extensions that aim to block trackers, ads, paywalls, and otherwise avoid troubles on the internet. One of them did the job on this site and I could read it fine. Having them installed makes using the internet much more pleasant.
  • Add Block Plus
  • UBlock Origin
  • Privacy Badger
  • Ghostery
  • Bypass Paywalls
  • HTTPS everywhere