Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a bunch of free browser extensions that aim to block trackers, ads, paywalls, and otherwise avoid troubles on the internet. One of them did the job on this site and I could read it fine. Having them installed makes using the internet much more pleasant.
  • Add Block Plus
  • UBlock Origin
  • Privacy Badger
  • Ghostery
  • Bypass Paywalls
  • HTTPS everywhere
You can discard the following
  • Ad(d?) Block Plus
  • Privacy Badger
  • Ghostery
  • HTTPS everywhere
if you have uBlock Origin.
Privacy Badger only use static filters now, so zero extra benefits (it used to learn, but no more Privacy Badger Is Changing to Protect You Better)

Idem for Ghostery (unneeded with good uBlock Origin lists). They got acquired by a data scraping company too, so it can't be trusted either.

And no need for HTTPS everywhere (use HTTP only mode instead: HTTPS-Only Mode in Firefox | Firefox Help)

We need to just secede from Nato
If you are prepared to give up Alaska, I suspect at least one poster here will not be happy.

The whole idea behind defending allies is, one day you might need their help, and don't reward aggressive wars of conquest, unless you want one in your own backyard.

When was the one time in history all of NATO came to the aid of an alliance member who was attacked? Clue - It wasn't in Europe.

If you are prepared to give up Alaska, I suspect at least one poster here will not be happy.

The whole idea behind defending allies is, one day you might need their help, and don't reward aggressive wars of conquest, unless you want one in your own backyard.

When was the one time in history all of NATO came to the aid of an alliance member who was attacked? Clue - It wasn't in Europe.

Another hint: September 11, 2001.

People are hand wringing about the House not passing Ukraine aid. Evidence has surfaced that Mike Johnson is very friendly to Russia
Mike Johnson’s Russian Funder

I can't find the cite now, but my partner said that Mike Johnson said today that nothing will move in the House the border is "fixed", but he refuses to consider the Senate bill because Donald Trump doesn't want the border fixed before next year. This means that not only the Ukraine, Israel, and Taiwan aid is stalled, but so is any legislation to fund the government.

Government shutdowns are toxic to the party that causes them. Always. The longer they go on, the more pain the party causing it suffers. It's almost certain the US government is going to shut down March 1. It looks like Mike Johnson and Donald Trump wants it to happen and they want the government to remain shut down until Jan 20, 2025. Trump thinks that the court cases will be paused by a government shutdown, but they won't. There are some people who are of the mistaken impression that MAGA is a majority who will celebrate breaking the government. I think Mike Johnson is in that camp. Plus he may be doing Putin's bidding.

The longer the shutdown happens, the greater the pressure to re-open the government will be. The Republicans who are sane, but afraid of the crazies who rule Congress may finally get enough of a backbone to oust Johnson and push something through to open the government, and hopefully send aid to our allies.

The worst case is this will last until Jan 2, but the Republicans will get clobbered in the election because people will be fed up with the government being held hostage.

It's possible that Johnson will cave in or a petition to bring a bill to re-open the government will force a vote. Considering Johnson's connections to the Kremlin, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in Johnson doing anything.

No matter what happens, we're probably in for at least a few weeks of shutdown. I don't know if the aid will make it through or not this year. It will probably pass next year.

I expect Europe and other allies will be able to get enough supplies to Ukraine to keep them in the fight defensively. Russia does not possess the capability to conduct combined arms mobile warfare. They failed to take Ukraine at the start of the war because their capability for mobile warfare was poor then. At this point it's degraded to nothing.

All Russia can do is throw masses of troops at the Ukrainian lines and they do take ground, but at staggering costs. I saw an estimate that at its current rate of losses Russia will be out of the reserve stocks of vehicles by summer. That's a pending cliff of capability loss. They are manufacturing some new vehicles but at a rate that is tiny compared to losses.

Ukraine is hurting, but Russia is not capable of overrunning the country unless Ukraine gives up. This year is more likely to be a year of marginal gains, but a mostly static ground war. Ukraine may further chip away in the naval war and who knows what will happen with the air war. F-16s will have some impact, Russia's air force has been degraded, but it's still much larger.

France has talked about sending troops to Ukraine. I think they would likely be used in non-combat roles, or holding quiet fronts like the Belarus border to free up Ukrainians to fight at the front.

Another hint: September 11, 2001.

People are hand wringing about the House not passing Ukraine aid. Evidence has surfaced that Mike Johnson is very friendly to Russia
Mike Johnson’s Russian Funder

I can't find the cite now, but my partner said that Mike Johnson said today that nothing will move in the House the border is "fixed", but he refuses to consider the Senate bill because Donald Trump doesn't want the border fixed before next year. This means that not only the Ukraine, Israel, and Taiwan aid is stalled, but so is any legislation to fund the government.

Government shutdowns are toxic to the party that causes them. Always. The longer they go on, the more pain the party causing it suffers. It's almost certain the US government is going to shut down March 1. It looks like Mike Johnson and Donald Trump wants it to happen and they want the government to remain shut down until Jan 20, 2025. Trump thinks that the court cases will be paused by a government shutdown, but they won't. There are some people who are of the mistaken impression that MAGA is a majority who will celebrate breaking the government. I think Mike Johnson is in that camp. Plus he may be doing Putin's bidding.

The longer the shutdown happens, the greater the pressure to re-open the government will be. The Republicans who are sane, but afraid of the crazies who rule Congress may finally get enough of a backbone to oust Johnson and push something through to open the government, and hopefully send aid to our allies.

The worst case is this will last until Jan 2, but the Republicans will get clobbered in the election because people will be fed up with the government being held hostage.

It's possible that Johnson will cave in or a petition to bring a bill to re-open the government will force a vote. Considering Johnson's connections to the Kremlin, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in Johnson doing anything.

No matter what happens, we're probably in for at least a few weeks of shutdown. I don't know if the aid will make it through or not this year. It will probably pass next year.

I expect Europe and other allies will be able to get enough supplies to Ukraine to keep them in the fight defensively. Russia does not possess the capability to conduct combined arms mobile warfare. They failed to take Ukraine at the start of the war because their capability for mobile warfare was poor then. At this point it's degraded to nothing.

All Russia can do is throw masses of troops at the Ukrainian lines and they do take ground, but at staggering costs. I saw an estimate that at its current rate of losses Russia will be out of the reserve stocks of vehicles by summer. That's a pending cliff of capability loss. They are manufacturing some new vehicles but at a rate that is tiny compared to losses.

Ukraine is hurting, but Russia is not capable of overrunning the country unless Ukraine gives up. This year is more likely to be a year of marginal gains, but a mostly static ground war. Ukraine may further chip away in the naval war and who knows what will happen with the air war. F-16s will have some impact, Russia's air force has been degraded, but it's still much larger.

France has talked about sending troops to Ukraine. I think they would likely be used in non-combat roles, or holding quiet fronts like the Belarus border to free up Ukrainians to fight at the front.
While Europe's progress has been slow, I think the external shocks of the Russian invasion and Trump's position on NATO will be good for Europe. Hopefully it will give a purpose to Europe and awaken the animal spirits of an extremely well educated continent to innovate and build the next generation of companies. It feels like there hasn't been a driving force for Europe to do so while they were confident they had outsourced their protection and there wasn't any direct threat.

While Europe's progress has been slow, I think the external shocks of the Russian invasion and Trump's position on NATO will be good for Europe. Hopefully it will give a purpose to Europe and awaken the animal spirits of an extremely well educated continent to innovate and build the next generation of companies. It feels like there hasn't been a driving force for Europe to do so while they were confident they had outsourced their protection and there wasn't any direct threat.

Agreed that this will probably wake up Europe to the fact that they can only count on themselves. The US is no longer a reliable partner. As well, it’s very possible that the US will fall without firing a shot, and next January Europe could very well be looking at a US Russia alliance. At that point it’s a different world and Europe can aid Ukraine without hesitation. How long Americans tolerate shipping massive amounts of weapons and aid to Russia is another story.

Strange times.

Agreed that this will probably wake up Europe to the fact that they can only count on themselves. The US is no longer a reliable partner. As well, it’s very possible that the US will fall without firing a shot, and next January Europe could very well be looking at a US Russia alliance. At that point it’s a different world and Europe can aid Ukraine without hesitation. How long Americans tolerate shipping massive amounts of weapons and aid to Russia is another story.

Strange times.
Careful what you wish for, lol. A US/Russian alliance first move would be to divy up Canada.

Strange times.
I don't think the US will go in that direction - there's likely enough politicians willing to vote against exiting NATO. But Europe can't take the risk of it happening without looking after their own defence regardless of the outcome.

Ukraine is hurting, but Russia is not capable of overrunning the country unless Ukraine gives up.
I get whiplash from what y'all think are Russia's capabilities. They can simultaneously take Europe and now Alaska but not Ukraine. I think the only likely scenario is that they can take more of Ukraine when the money runs out but not too much as that would incite us to get involved. Ukraine has been a disaster, they don't need more disasters.

Reactions: dhrivnak
and next January Europe could very well be looking at a US Russia alliance.
I am surprised at the level of open support some Americans are giving Russia.

However, I think this comment is a stretch... for many spending US money to aid Russia, is no different to spending it to aid Ukraine.

Unless Putin is going to secure the border with Mexico, an alliance with Russia doesn't solve the border issue.

Europe isn't really standing alone, the UK, Australia, NZ, Canada, Japan, South Korea and a few other places will chip in and help.

What the US really needs to think long and hard about is,:-
  • What do they stand for?
  • What kind of world do they want to live in?
  • How secure will they be without allies against the might of a successful China and Russia?

I get whiplash from what y'all think are Russia's capabilities. They can simultaneously take Europe and now Alaska but not Ukraine. I think the only likely scenario is that they can take more of Ukraine when the money runs out but not too much as that would incite us to get involved. Ukraine has been a disaster, they don't need more disasters.
The simple principle is that history teaches Putin Alaska was once part of Russia, just like Ukraine..

It isn't on the agenda, I don't think Russia will win in Ukraine,,. but Ukraine has the right to defend and reclaim its borders.

The point is US citizens more than happy to cede Ukraine, would not cede Alaska...

There is a lot of speculation about former President Trump being an unreliable ally of Europe which is scaring European leaders...when all he has said is that Europe needs to meet its NATO financial commitments instead of being a burden to US taxpayers...despite dragging their heels the message has (so so) slowly got through. And this in effect is strengthening NATO

There is a lot of speculation about former President Trump being an unreliable ally of Europe which is scaring European leaders...when all he has said is that Europe needs to meet its NATO financial commitments instead of being a burden to US taxpayers...despite dragging their heels the message has (so so) slowly got through. And this in effect is strengthening NATO

From europe's perspective Trump says so much bull that we cannot trust anything he says. We judge him by his actions and he has done nothing good from our perspective.

when all he has said is that Europe needs to meet its NATO financial commitments instead of being a burden to US taxpayers

Further than that, Trump says he would 'encourage' Russia to attack Nato allies who do not pay their bills and would "encourage" the aggressors to "do whatever the hell they want".

There is a reason much of Europe do not look kindly on Trump.

Further than that, Trump says he would 'encourage' Russia to attack Nato allies who do not pay their bills and would "encourage" the aggressors to "do whatever the hell they want".

There is a reason much of Europe do not look kindly on Trump.
The message is pay your bills....this will strengthen NATO...it’s hard to spin it in any other direction