Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Russians fly MiG-31s on CAP outside of the range of Ukrainian air defense and aircraft carrying massive missiles designed to shoot down US AWACS and tankers in wartime. They have been using them to shoot down any Ukrainian aircraft that are flying high enough to be spotted on radar.

Source? As I remember it, this was basically debunked a while back in the thread. Tried searching for those posts in the thread now but didn't find them.

The Ukrainians have no airspace that is out of range of these missile carriers. Any Ukrainian aircraft flying CAP would become targets for the MiG-31s and Russian S-400s. The west have no air to air missiles with the comparable range to the missiles carried by the MiG-31s.

UKR has been knocking out the Dictator's S-400 systems since at least September last year:

Any western jets the Ukrainians get will immediately be targets of an array of Russian weapons. They will need to be very careful to avoid getting shot down. For the most part they will be missile trucks launching NATO ground attack weapons into the Russian lines and no more.

If the S-400s gets knocked out and the MIG-31s are ineffective, I see no reason why UKR won't be able to go after the Dictator's aircraft that are dropping glide bombs as well as the Dictator's cruise missiles using F-16s.

Also: How many operational A-50 Mainstay does the Dictator have these days, and what effect is that going to have going forward?...

France is sending more of their equivalent to the US Patriot missiles to UKR. As I understand it, just like the US Patriots can, these French missiles can also take down the Russian Dictator's ballistic and hypersonic missiles.

...] March 31, 2024 2:46 AM

[...] Paris will "unlock a new batch of Aster 30 missiles" for the SAMP/T MAMBA system, the French equivalent of the U.S. Patriot, in response to Ukraine's air defense shortage, [French Defense Minister Sebastien Lecornu] said on March 30. [...

Last edited:
IMG_2019.jpeg

Kherson Oblast, Ukrainian forces appear to have fielded a new unknown heavyweight FPV munition capable of causing significant damage, seen here dismantling Russian positions.

twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1774495692918227391?s=20

????? It looks like a grain storage building in Ukraine being kuputted... So we are to assume Russians were in that part of the building?

????? It looks like a grain storage building in Ukraine being kuputted... So we are to assume Russians were in that part of the building?

IDK. There doesn't seem to be any specified info about exactly what was hit... But it's not the first elevated position I've seen attacked by UKR in this war. Guessing the position could be either manned or unmanned, and that it could be any of the following: An ATGM position, a sniper nest, some kind of recon./surveillance position, some kind of COMS position or some kind of EW position. The clip starts with some FPV footage that turns to static before the drone impacts, so at that elevation I'm guessing that would be indicative of EW equipment...

Last edited:
I find Perun’s latest video uplifting; lots more weapons production going on by our and Ukraine’s allies.
That said… nothing really good will come of ANY of these weapons; won’t everyone’s quality of life drop and global inflation take off as resources are diverted from producing anything actually useful and fun to build this fossil fuel-chugging stuff?

Last edited:

Germany's procurement process is badly broken. This is a Perun from over a year ago, but it is the best explanation I've seen on just how messed up their system is

The dysfunction is extensive and systemic. If the Germans want to fix it, it's going to take a lot of effort.

Dictatorships are different, but in any liberal democracy, the leader of the country is not responsible for all the ills of the state. In many cases they are trying in vain to buck a tide created by their legislature or bureaucracies. It's easy to complain and blame it all on the leader at the top, and in some countries opposition parties work to break things and try to blame it on the other party's guy at the top. In these cases it's now baked into the plan.

I don't see this happening in Germany so much as the Bundestag is an animal created by the winners of World War II. The Allies worked hard after WW II to de-nazify Germany. Germany today is more anti-Nazi that some of the Allied countries from WW II. But an anti-war culture took hold in Germany. It was not as active during the cold war because West Germany had to stand strong against the Warsaw Pact and they knew they would be on the front lines if the cold war ever went hot.

But the peace-niks really took over once the cold war ended. The idea that war with Russia would be impossible if they became deeply entangled with Germany became the core foreign policy agenda. Germany rushed to sell everything Russia needed to make whatever it wanted, including weapons and in exchange they bought most of their fossil fuels from Russia.

As we know, the failure of this policy became glaringly apparent in early 2022 when Russia invaded Ukraine. But the peace-niks are still mostly there in Germany's government and they really don't like this whole war thing. Many of them know Germany needs to be on more of a war footing, but they have spent the last three decades hamstringing the German military to a point that it's a Gordian Knot. And being peace-niks they don't know where to start untangling the mess they made.

Blaming the leader of a country for all its ills is like blaming the head coach of a sports team when all the players on the team are third rate players none of the other teams in the league wanted. The best leader in the world can't succeed if the rot extends well below the top post in the country. Scholz has not stood out as a great leader trying to fight the tide, but the problem isn't just his.

I find Perun’s latest video uplifting; lots more weapons production going on by our and Ukraine’s allies.
That said… nothing really good will come of ANY of these weapons; won’t everyone’s quality of life drop and global inflation take off as resources are diverted from producing anything actually useful and fun to build this fossil fuel-chugging stuff?

In an emergency you have to do what you have to do. The upside is that the economies of the west are so massive that it isn't really diverting much from the civilian economy. Most of this extra activity is being done at defense plants that already existed which are seeing an increase in production. It might divert a little effort from civilian projects because workers are being drawn into these projects and not civilian ones, but the numbers are pretty small compared to the entire economy.

Source? As I remember it, this was basically debunked a while back in the thread. Tried searching for those posts in the thread now but didn't find them.

The MiG-31s have claimed few Ukrainian shoot downs, but the fact they are there is one reason the Ukrainian air force is staying so close to the deck. The fact that the long range air to air threat exists has changed Ukrainian air behavior. If the Ukrainians tried to operation F-16s the way the USAF would, they would likely be shot down by these long range missiles, or at minimum spend most of their time at altitude dealing with avoiding them.

UKR has been knocking out the Dictator's S-400 systems since at least September last year:

If the S-400s gets knocked out and the MIG-31s are ineffective, I see no reason why UKR won't be able to go after the Dictator's aircraft that are dropping glide bombs as well as the Dictator's cruise missiles using F-16s.

Also: How many operational A-50 Mainstay does the Dictator have these days, and what effect is that going to have going forward?...

The Russians started the war with almost 2200 S-300s and around 450 S-400s. They also had about 3000 other air defense systems. As of today the Ukrainians have claimed 743 air defense systems total. That includes all types. There are still a lot of S-400s and even more S-300s around. Both are very capable long range air defense systems with ranges longer than any western system.

IDK. There doesn't seem to be any specified info about exactly what was hit... But it's not the first elevated position I've seen attacked by UKR in this war. Guessing the position could be either manned or unmanned, and that it could be any of the following: An ATGM position, a sniper nest, some kind of recon./surveillance position, some kind of COMS position or some kind of EW position. The clip starts with some FPV footage that turns to static before the drone impacts, so at that elevation I'm guessing that would be indicative of EW equipment...
Too many acronyms.

Too many acronyms.

IDK I don't know. There doesn't seem to be any specified info about exactly what was hit... But it's not the first elevated position I've seen attacked by UKR Ukraine in this war. Guessing the position could be either manned or unmanned, and that it could be any of the following: An ATGM Anti-Tank Guided Missile position, a sniper nest, some kind of recon. reconnaissance/surveillance position, some kind of COMS communications position or some kind of EW Electromagnetic Warfare position. The clip starts with some FPV First-Person View footage that turns to static before the drone impacts [FPV meaning the camera on the drone is pointing forward in the direction the drone is flying], so at that elevation I'm guessing that would be indicative of EW equipment...

Oh, and thanks for the thumbs down.

Should the war drag on, Russia’s resource well will start to run dry, and the country will then find itself poorer and weaker than before. Vladimir Putin is gambling this won’t happen. He appears to reckon that Western electorates, softened by the easy life, will press their governments to cave on Ukraine, sue for peace and resume regular relations.

If he’s right, he’s headed for victory. But if he’s wrong, if Western countries dig in and support Ukraine over the long haul, Russia’s long-term prospects look grim.

Why Russia’s economy is doing so well – even if the good times won’t likely last​

“Gifted” link to an opinion piece in today’s Globe and Mail:

Reactions: iPlug