Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So why does that Wallander 'character' still have a job(!)?
Because Biden is our president and has been absolutely awful on a variety of foreign policy issues by staffing our State and Defense departments with people like Wallander. Biden doesn’t want the price of energy to increase even further and hurt his reelection chances in November.

Opinion: Congress must let Ukraine win, say Barbra Streisand, Sean Penn, Imagine Dragons, Timothy Snyder and other luminaries

If Russia breaks through, this will be our fault. And then we will understand what we have lost. Everything that Ukraine is doing for us can be reversed. If Ukraine is defeated, we will find ourselves in a far more dangerous world. It will be a world where we can expect war in Europe and war in Asia. A world in which Russia can cut off the food to the Near East and Africa that Ukraine now supplies. A world without rules and a world full of nuclear weapons.

It unfortunately seems like the Russian Dictator has a new cruise missile that Patriot alone seemingly can't handle. This new missile flies too low. So the West may not have any other choice but to start flying missions with AWACS/Erieye or some such to help UKR spot these missiles if UKR is to have a chance of shooting these missiles down.

Source in Swedish:

Maybe it's just me, since I've never been fond of fascists, but luckily in 1941 the US didn't have people like JD Vance doing the math on whether the US should fight the Axis powers or just surrender after Pearl Harbor.

J.D. Vance: The Math on Ukraine Doesn’t Add Up

Maybe it's just me, since I've never been fond of fascists, but luckily in 1941 the US didn't have people like JD Vance doing the math on whether the US should fight the Axis powers or just surrender after Pearl Harbor.

In today’s Guardian:

Trump made it very clear that he thought, you know, that Ukraine, and certainly Crimea, must be part of Russia,” Hill, senior director for European and Russian affairs on the US National Security Council between 2017 and 2019, tells David Sanger, a New York Times reporter and author of New Cold Wars: China’s Rise, Russia’s Invasion, and America’s Struggle to Defend the West

From today’s Globe and Mail; my last “free gifted” story for this month (link at end of post…these links never seem to really work for anyone so I will post the headline to make it easier for an online search):

In Chornobyl, Ukrainians feel aftershocks of two Russian disasters: One in 1986, one in 2022​

It’s been 38 years since a Soviet nuclear catastrophe made part of modern-day Ukraine uninhabitable. For elderly locals and workers at the ruined power plant, war added another chapter to the stories they tell.

…On the first day of the full-scale invasion of Ukraine, Russian troops poured over the border from Belarus into Chornobyl, occupying the nuclear power plant and the largely abandoned exclusion zone until they withdrew from the area at the end of March, 2022.

While there, the troops dug trenches in the Red Forest, the most contaminated land around Chornobyl, ransacked the power plant, looted buildings, and even pocketed radioactive material, according to locals.

Before Russian forces retreated from Chornobyl, Ukrainian officials feared the soldiers might disturb radioactive dust, or cause damage to the containment facilities, potentially leading to another disaster….

Oi! If Ukraine was trying to end the war by conquering Russia, yes, it would be impossible. But they very much have what it takes to get their borders back.

I wonder which Russian oligarch is giving him campaign contributions? His math is very bad here. He's basically arguing that the US could not survive a war with Russia if the US can't supply Ukraine, a much smaller force against Russia.

Paywalled:

This points to a strong advantage Ukraine has over Russia. Chips for autonomously finding targets are readily available, but denied to Russia.
The article was pay walled for me. But if I google searched it , it wasn't pay walled for some seconds. I then disabled javascript to comfortably read the article.

Mike Johnson has decided that woke appliances are a bigger threat to the US than Russia.

I'm very sorry, you're going to have to hold the line until the new congress is elected. With any luck we'll be more helpful.

Just hang in there.
I fear you are correct. Despite the Dems offering a backstop to keep Johnson in the speakership if he brings the Ukraine aid up for a vote, he instead decided to go to the home of The Former Guy and kiss the ring again. I see little hope for Ukaine on that front, much to my dismay. Looks like Woke Appliances (really silly, don't bother asking) will be on the House agenda instead. Likely anti-EV would come next, but not my focus here.
With the loss of the massive Kiev power plant, I am losing hope that they can hold out. I see it as a huge problem for the civilian population, and a sign that the missile umbrella may be failing. Someone talk me down here; this has me greatly concerned.
Even after a Biden win, Kiev would likely have to hold out until the new Congress is seated. Or would a lame duck House finally pass this bill to support our national interests?
Only hope I now see before that time period is, if TFG's New York trial goes forward fast enough, and proves harmful enough, to make TFG lose political clout. Then perhaps House Republican calculus changes, and the lifeline to Ukraine gets renewed.