Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rust on Turn Signal Indicator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I did see that and I should have been more clear. What I was wondering is if these redesigned parts are what is currently being used. Morristhecat noted that they are "going to be replaced" with the new design.
I've been told the nickel has already been used on new vehicles for months already.

Generally, it seems to be SOP for Tesla to do this with advances in the technology across the car generally.

Well, this is a quote from an email my SC tech wrote me. I hope he doesn't mind being quoted.

"We were informed by our ownership team that there is an issue with some rust spots on the metal plate-side markers on your Model S. I have reached out to our engineers on your behalf and was informed of an upgraded part to counter this issue. We have new side markers available with a Nickel plate instead of the Steel plates currently on your Model S.

These parts have been ordered and as soon as they arrive, we will reach out to you to book an appointment and have them replaced. If this issue has been mentioned previously to someone on our team, I apologize for it not yet being addressed."

So it seems to me like it is the upgraded part being installed. My parts have arrived and I'll be getting them installed next week. If they replace the whole light fixture I will ask if i can keep the old ones - it may make for a cool back light project in my tv room or something... :)

"We were informed by our ownership team that there is an issue with some rust spots on the metal plate-side markers on your Model S. I have reached out to our engineers on your behalf and was informed of an upgraded part to counter this issue. We have new side markers available with a Nickel plate instead of the Steel plates currently on your Model S.

These parts have been ordered and as soon as they arrive, we will reach out to you to book an appointment and have them replaced. If this issue has been mentioned previously to someone on our team, I apologize for it not yet being addressed."

Perfect. The reason I was dragging my feet on this is because I wanted to be sure they weren't just going to use up "old stock" and give me something that would corrode again next salt season (winter)!