Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rust Proofing M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Words of HABIT

Jan 19, 2013
Canada
MS & MX are aluminum body so no need for rust proofing.
Just picked up my M3 which is predominantly steel body with some aluminum. I plan on keeping my M3 for at least 20 years (I have a history of doing so with ICE so this EV should last well beyond that). My main concern is rust and living in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, the roads are heavily salted in winters. I've used KROWN rust control for many years and found them to be the best. My Toronto Tesla Service Ctr. rep stated not to rust proof due to potential for rust proofing solution to enter into the battery compartment. I would have thought the battery compartment would be completely sealed to prevent this. Looking for a second opinion from TMC contributors. I'll also be asking for 2nd opinion from Tesla.
PS. Love my M3.

Edit: KROWN is quite extensive. First visit has them drilling the car full of holes and filling with plugs in the quarter panels, wheel wells and other rust prone areas which allows their product to reach all areas of the car body.

I don't know what steps Tesla is taking to prevent rust, I'd like to find out, but it better be pretty darn extensive! The local towns love to throw road salt all over the place, even sometimes when it is not needed. I hate it.

And aluminum cars still need something for corrosion protection. The hood on my '11 Challenger R/T was aluminum, but it got some rock chips on the front edge and over time water got in there and bubbled up the paint a bit. I sold the car when I got my 3, so it's the next guy's problem.

Edit: KROWN is quite extensive. First visit has them drilling the car full of holes and filling with plugs in the quarter panels, wheel wells and other rust prone areas which allows their product to reach all areas of the car body.

Have you talked to whoever you've used in the past to check see if they have experience with Teslas, preferably Model 3s? Maybe make sure they are comfortable with working on the Model 3. My understanding is that one of the reasons that Tesla required such rigorous certification for 3rd party shops doing auto body work on Teslas is the sensors buried in the cars that are sensitive to alterations. Also you don't want them messing up the battery pack's seal, or somehow compromising one of the high energy lines.

Rust proofing is really a thing? I thought it was just a way for dealers to extract more money from gullible car buyers decades ago.

Personally I would never let anyone drill a hole or inject anything into my Tesla. There’s probably other reasons you would want to replace the car before it rusts out.

Haha, depends highly on where you live. In western parts of Denmark your car will be gone in 6-8 years if you don't rust proofing it.
Due to salt on the roads in winter, and further salt carried from the ocean by the wind.

Unlike MS & MX with aluminum body, the M3 is mostly steel. Any steel will rust over time. I plan on keeping my M3 for 30 years and live in a climate where five months out of the year heavy salt is applied to roadways. Thanks for everyone's comments. Much appreciated.
Its not true that "any" steel will rust over time. That's why the art of rustproofing has gone away. Show me a rusted car that has been made in the last 9 years.

Its not true that "any" steel will rust over time. That's why the art of rustproofing has gone away. Show me a rusted car that has been made in the last 9 years.
Fully agree. Original manufacturer's rust proofing has gone a long way since the rust buckers of the '80s. However as stated I plan on keeping my M3 for thirty years, and only annual rust proofing will guaranty a rust free car that long in a location with heavy winter salting.

• Funny
Reactions: Plug Life and Arpe
Fully agree. Original manufacturer's rust proofing has gone a long way since the rust buckers of the '80s. However as stated I plan on keeping my M3 for thirty years, and only annual rust proofing will guaranty a rust free car that long in a location with heavy winter salting.
Annual Rustproofing? Are you kidding?

Its your dollar...not mine. So enjoy.

• Funny
Reactions: Timmy T.
The title of this thread is a bit misleading in that it implies that Rust Proofing for M3 is a thing, when it shouldn't be. Just a thought!
Yep, I did not intend to imply rust proofing was an issue with M3, just a rust proofing question in general, could have applied my question to any car. Unfortunately I can't edit my original post. :(

Annual Rustproofing? Are you kidding?
Its your dollar...not mine. So enjoy.
The annual cost is $90 CAD and IMHO well worth the investment on the $77,400 CAD cost of my M3. I would not rust proof it in the first years, but I'm thinking starting after the fifth year of ownership. :)

Yep, I did not intend to imply rust proofing was an issue with M3, just a rust proofing question in general, could have applied my question to any car. Unfortunately I can't edit my original post. :(

The annual cost is $90 CAD and IMHO well worth the investment on the $77,400 CAD cost of my M3. I would not rust proof it in the first years, but I'm thinking starting after the fifth year of ownership. :)
You should look at the 2012 Model S's that were unfortunately submerged for days on end.

Not only did they function and run....there was NO RUST.

But as I said.....its your money.

Unlike MS & MX with aluminum body, the M3 is mostly steel. Any steel will rust over time. I plan on keeping my M3 for 30 years and live in a climate where five months out of the year heavy salt is applied to roadways. Thanks for everyone's comments. Much appreciated.

Even worse the model 3 is both aluminum and steel. The different metals create an electrical charge that make rust worse.