Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rust proofing? Rust warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my Model 3 a week ago, and like many was curious about options for rust proofing. So decided to send an email to Tesla Customer care and received this:

Thank you for reaching out to the Tesla Executive Care Team.

Majority of the components in the Model 3 are Aluminum and require no rust-proofing. At this time Tesla does not recommend any rust proofing as we do not see how it is beneficial in any climate for our any of our cars.

For future customer support needs, please feel free to reach out directly to our dedicated customer support teams via [email protected].

Regards,
Parker R | Executive Care
12832 Frontrunner Blvd, Draper, UT 84020

So I guess that clears things up?

Picked up my Model 3 a week ago, and like many was curious about options for rust proofing. So decided to send an email to Tesla Customer care and received this:

Thank you for reaching out to the Tesla Executive Care Team.

Majority of the components in the Model 3 are Aluminum and require no rust-proofing. At this time Tesla does not recommend any rust proofing as we do not see how it is beneficial in any climate for our any of our cars.

For future customer support needs, please feel free to reach out directly to our dedicated customer support teams via [email protected].

Regards,
Parker R | Executive Care
12832 Frontrunner Blvd, Draper, UT 84020

The problem is they have no rust warranty.
BMW also says not to rust proof, but they have a 12 year warranty, that backs that up.

There is more steel on the model three than the S and X.

At this time Tesla does not recommend any rust proofing as we do not see how it is beneficial in any climate for our any of our cars.

Yes, thank you, it should clear things up, unless of course someone wants to overthink this.
Bottom line regarding the Model 3 or any other Tesla: (a) No need to rustproof it even in Canada, (b) Tesla does not recommend it, and (c) No benefit ascertained.

If Tesla offered a rust protection warranty to back up their claims, I would agree that rust proofing discussions would be overthinking things.
They don’t, and so waiting for rust to potentially appear, and then trying to prevent it, isn’t ideal.
The cars and trucks I know of that have tendencies to rust, have no substantial rust warranties.
The cars I know and own, that don’t rust, have rust protection warranties.
The model 3 is different from the S and X, and it has no warranty.
I think it’s smart to look into this, and certainly not overthinking it.
I never understood why folks would spend $60 thousand plus on a Ford pickup, and watch it rust away.

Spoke to the SC in MTL today, they didn't recommended it. They did say if I chose to do it, they really didn't want any perforations to be made.

Since I'm planning to keep the car for a long time, I didn't want to take any chances. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any suggestions in the Montreal area and, after some research, decided to try Barry's rustproofing. They are recommended by APA (Automobile Protection Association | Services - Rustproofing) and are only 5 minutes away from TSC. No holes drilled, no dripping, and very honest and friendly folks. The whole process took about 3-4 hours. Had to wipe some excess grease/marks on the outside of the car but, overall, very happy with their service. Recommended for Tesla owners in the greater Montreal area.

Heard about it and considered them too for my car, but they're quite far and wait time is just too long. I'm sure there's decent places on the island that aren't as well known as Bolduc but do a decent job nevertheless, which is why I shared my experience for the other owners who are considering rust proofing their Tesla.

I'd go see Antirouille Bolduc if I had a Model 3. The guy is a Telsa owner and knows the cars very well. He is also known for his attention to detail.
As for my Model S's, I use ACF-50 and spray it on everything metallic inside the frunk area with the tub removed, wheel wells, door handles, folding mirrors etc. After 4 winters in heavy Quebec salt it's still looking like new. Also I haven't changed a door handle since I started spraying them with it. ACF-50 is made for aluminum aircraft protection and safe on electronics so no need to worry about getting it on something you shouldn't spray. If its exposed to the elements, spray it.

Will not let my Model 3 come anywhere near any so-called rustproofing shops. It neither needs it, nor proven to benefit from any protection against typical Ontario winters. OTOH, coating the underbody may indeed be counter-productive in terms of interfering with the battery's thermal management, plus being a potential impediment to Tesla's proprietary body shop procedures and parts installation. In the winter, I intend to install a set of winter tires and drive the Model 3 as usual, and then once a week through an automated car wash that also cleans the undercarriage.
Have you found any trust worthy auto service providers (tires, tint, etc) in Lambton County? I'm in the Sarnia area and just picked up my M3P last week! Not many around!