Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rust protection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, I don't think it's needed for modern cars. I've not rust proofed any of my cars in the last decade+. The key is to wash them regularly and not let the salt sit too long on it in weather above 0 degrees.

I would normally agree and I haven't had any of my cars rust proofed over the past 15 years or so. But there have been comments in other threads that Tesla either has a poor or no corrosion warranty so it left me a bit concerned.

EDIT: Apparently the corrosion warranty is 4 years, 80,000 km. There's a thread at M3OC. That's not very long for those of us who intend to keep the car for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: McCaesar and Alby
Is your plan to use Rust Check or other provider?

Yeah I think I'll look into Rust Check and Krown towards the end of the summer. IIRC, they drill access holes so they can coat the interior of door panels. I'm going to look at the Model 3 when I pick mine up to see what kind of access is available. Definitely don't want any holes drilled.

I’ve used Krown for years on cars that I winter drive. I get them sprayed when new and then every couple of years after. I let them drill the doors, rockers and quarter panels, basically 8 holes. The holes have never rusted. I do my own touch-ups with a spray can of Krown. Great lube for hinges etc.

Our ‘98 Civic we sold in ‘14 was mint. Zero rust. Lived outside it’s whole life. Worst areas are steel lower door seams, rockers, quarter panel wheel wells and trunk lips.

I’m not going to drive the 3 much in the winter and then only on clear roads so I may pass. We’ll see how it plays out.

• Informative
Reactions: McCaesar
I just use ACF-50. It’s for aluminum aircraft. It comes in a spray can and I shoot it everywhere underneath and in the suspension parts. Also it’s safe on electronics so I’ve sprayed small amounts into my door handles and they’re still working fine which is pretty good for a 2014 Model S.

Reactions: McCaesar