Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rusting of the rear lift gate attachment points

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I work in the marine tade, the struts you are looking at are fine. The clip that's rusting will take years more before there is a problem. That is the retainer ring that keeps the clamp on the ball and it's thick cold Steel. We have seen many of these spending years in salt water every day and will look way worse and still hold fine. If you don't like them you can pop the whole think off and go to any boat store and get the whole strut out of stainless or chrome. They cost about 30-50$.
-
I don't have any concern with the surface rust on the clip itself holding the strut on the ball joint, either. But, that rusted surface on the mount, at the white painted body of the vehicle; could cause an increased degradation of the corrosion protection. Nothing of concern yet; but years down the road could show some minor breakdown.

image.jpg
To everyone here who said it's not a problem.
It is a problem.
It is severe see my image attached.
And if your car is out of warranty as mine is, they wil not take care of it, instead sell you a completely new strut kit.

It is so bad that we will see lift gates break.
And people hurt.
Because of a 3$ piece which can be replaced in 5min.
That's one of the now classic shortcomings I just don't understand.

After having to wait a full FOUR months due to TESLAs inability or should I say interest, I finally found the same screws from Chrysler.
The problem is that tesla uses a special ball head with a longer basis than 90% of the suppliers to achieve a distance of the big motorized arm to the tailgate. A shorter screw makes this rub against the metal.

I'm almost shure TESLA used different batches or suppliers of screws here.
Proper anodized coated ones and cheap ones.
Delivery first ;(

And to clarify: it's not only the clamp.
It's both.
Someone must get fired.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and mrElbe
Trayloader, mine look like yours, 2012 S85 from Western PA. Tesla wouldn't replace them when I was under warranty, and now they will sell me the ball joints for $1 each, but I need to buy the full strut to get the clips! Do you mind sharing a link or part number, if you found standalone clips? I'd rather do a $25 DIY than a $250 plus labor SC visit.

Attachments

• IMG_7564.JPG
    IMG_7564.JPG
    360.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_7565.JPG
    IMG_7565.JPG
    414.2 KB · Views: 171
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Seems our preferred Auto is moving at least a bit.
But it will still backflash on them due to the fact that one day a liftgate will break and fall onto someone or worse (arm...)
Then we will see a worldwide recall and the stock tankin, costing them a magnitude of a proactive reaction.

I don´t get it. *end rant*

Anyway-
At least they now sell the ball joint (which they flat out refused back then in my case).
Buy four of them, just in case ;)
And buy those clips here, it seems to be a standard VW part: Hood Hatch Strut Shock Lift Clips VW Jetta Golf MK4 MK5 MK6 Beetle Audi Passat | eBay

If they should run out of ball joints, its a standard SAAB part.

Alternatively, take Your old parts, put them in Coca Cola (no kidding) or de-ruster for one night, plus remove the loose crust with a metal brush, dry it, and after istallation, cover the whole piece with white fat applied with a soft brush to seal it from air.

That´s what I did with mine and they fully stopped corroding and withstood one winter already.

There is a product that converts rust to a paintable surface. It contains phosphoric acid. I had a trailer hitch on a van that had surface rust. I used the rust converter and then some black spray paint. 5 years later there was no further rust even though constantly exposed to weather. If and when mine starts to show rust I'll use the rust converter and a bit of paint.

2013 tesla model s with just over 150,000 miles (recently acquired). The posts look really bad on mine. Is tesla fixing this for free? Or will I be charged due to mileage? Or does anyone know where I can get the posts? I'm about 2 hours from a service center.

Thanks! Ordered 4 from MoparPartsGiant. Hope these things come out.
I'm shocked, all four were easy to remove. And now they are installed... but... one spring retainer / c-clip turned to dust (zip tied for now). Any more part tricks in the hat? Looking at used rear trunk struts now, would hate to buy one if c-clips are available. Or do you know of a good replacement for the left side strut?
BTW, tesla repair manual did not have a torque spec for the ball stud (that I could find).

What you should definitely do in the
Meantime: lube the inside liftgate ball “pan” and shim the MOPAR piece with some rubber or plastic shim to the liftgate.
I think what we witness is a two fold problem concerning Tesla. Metal corrosion by combining steel screw and Aluminium carosse PLUS Tesla sourcing parts on the free market. We found galvanized and ungalvanized versions of this screw :(
So sealing the whole new units (once you found the holding clamp) would be benefiting.
As I said a poisoned gift from the DaimlerChrysler days. Probably those were cheaper at a time when Tesla was in dire need of every penny.
keep us updated pls

Did this repair today. One of my clips was totally gone in the middle and the other 3 broke when I removed them. Had to dig the ends of the clips out of the struts with a pick.

Attachments

• 2021-08-14 10.24.16.jpg
    2021-08-14 10.24.16.jpg
    467.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 2021-08-14 10.24.23.jpg
    2021-08-14 10.24.23.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 2021-08-14 11.18.40.jpg
    2021-08-14 11.18.40.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 2021-08-14 11.21.41.jpg
    2021-08-14 11.21.41.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 2021-08-14 11.12.39.jpg
    2021-08-14 11.12.39.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 76
  • 2021-08-14 10.23.57.jpg
    2021-08-14 10.23.57.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 2021-08-14 10.24.11.jpg
    2021-08-14 10.24.11.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Informative
Reactions: ayavner and JRP3
Funny that this was revived. I have the same problem and ordered 4 each of both parts (balls and clips) from my service center. Waiting… it’s only been a week….

can someone confirm if the VW clips do (or don’t) fit.