Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rusty Brake Disks on OP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla says that rusty brake disks on a OP will not be replaced or repaired. Interesting that the original owner could have had them replaced using original warranty, but OP with new 5 year 40k mile warranty does not get same consideration. I wonder what other surprises I will presented with when requesting service with a OP?

@Cruisin - I am not sure exactly what the original issue was, so my comment is in general terms. Most vehicles rotors are bare metal. They will all rust in areas where moisture/humidity is present. Conventional braking cars remove the rust when the brakes are applied, thus it is never really an issue for regularly driven vehicles. For Hybrids and EVs that have regenerative braking, the conventional brake pads are rarely used, thus there is the chance of the rotors rusting and building up a red oxide color coating or rust. If the car sits too long without the conventional brakes being applied, the rust particles may not be fully removed by the pads and will either damage the pads, rotors or cause metallic squeaking when the brakes are applied. A simple solution for any auto owner to resolve this is to take 220 sand paper or a medium sanding block and lightly sand the rusted rotor(s). Once the oxide coating is close to the bare metal, rinse the rotors with a garden hose to remove the rust dust - do not blow off dust. Then drive the vehicle around the block making sure to apply the brakes hard enough to activate the conventional brake pads.

I use my brakes every time I stop. Even if the car *mostly* slows with regeneration, the regen is essentially gone below about 4 mph, and the brake pads are what fully stop the car. Surely this bit of braking would be enough to scrape off the "daily" rust on the discs. Makes me wonder if the OP is talking about something more severe.

Tesla says that rusty brake disks on a OP will not be replaced or repaired. Interesting that the original owner could have had them replaced using original warranty, but OP with new 5 year 40k mile warranty does not get same consideration. I wonder what other surprises I will presented with when requesting service with a OP?

When you say OP do you mean a CPO car? (Certified Pre-Owned) If so, isn't the CPO warranty 4 years/50k miles? (Not 5/40k)

And are you just saying that they won't replace the rotors for surface rust, or is the rust actually causing a problem?

I bet the OP is talking about rust on the disc rotor hat like below. There is no need to replace the rotor, the hat can be sealed.
Solution for rusty brake rotor hats
rotor rust.jpg

All brake discs are made of soft steel which rusts on exposure to water and oxygen. All brake discs rust. If you replaced the rotors, the new ones would rust also. Every time I wash my car, I get water on the discs and they rust. This is normal. They do not need to be replaced or repaired.

All brake discs are made of soft steel which rusts on exposure to water and oxygen. All brake discs rust. If you replaced the rotors, the new ones would rust also. Every time I wash my car, I get water on the discs and they rust. This is normal. They do not need to be replaced or repaired.
Whoa, we are talking about the disk hat not the brake pad surface. not all cars rust like some are saying. Tesla replaced 2012 and 2013 for this problem, but now say they wont on a CPO car. The warranty doesn't have a exclusion and the owners have not received a disclosure regarding the rusting brake hats.