Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would someone please provide the URL for the FAQ that says the RWD will not be made now? I cannot find this online.
This is not what my sales rep is saying.
I talked to Tesla a week ago and they said they have not been informed as to what is going on with the RWD. It is March and Tesla need to
talk to us if the RWD is gone. The prepare for delivery menu popped up on my account last week.

Model Y Ordering FAQ

6 question from the top. When will Model Y production begin?
..."Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive is not scheduled for production at this time."

The reality is that the statement can be interpreted in many ways. I still think it will be produced but not anytime soon.

My local Lexus dealer has offered to upgrade my Lexus to the top of the line model with all the options for the same price as the MY. Their pitch is that they can deliver immediately a vehicle with more storage space, plush interior and with a trade-in of my current Lexus, a better net price.

And Lexus is great at communication. But I want an EV, not 20th Century technology.

The reality is that the statement can be interpreted in many ways. I still think it will be produced but not anytime soon.

I'm not sure that's the case. Given that they sent an email to all 7 seat configuration pre-orders giving them the opportunity to switch to either a performance or AWD configuration... Why wouldn't they do the same to RWD LR Configuration pre-orders and convert us to sales earlier? Unless they plan to fulfill our orders in a reasonable period of time

Reactions: mgraff
As much as it's difficult to sit and watch all the excitement from folks who are going to be taking delivery in the next few weeks, I tend to agree with @Eriamjh1138's perspective on the situation. I was originally not expecting to get my Model Y until Fall 2020, so there is no reason why I can't wait this out for a couple more months and see what Tesla plans to do for RWD reservation holders.

I've got to believe that the fact that Tesla has not come up with a coherent message about what their plans are makes me even more inclined to wait this out....if enough folks don't jump ship to the AWD at full upgrade price, the more likely they will have to come up with some accommodation for us.

Silver lining is it will allow Tesla to work out any kinks from the early production runs and likely give me a chance to do a test drive on a Model Y before I have to take possession.

I switched my order to AWD in Feb, just got an order confirm for sometime this month.

Nice! What color, wheels, seats etc?

On a side note, I'm seeing some people that ordered the same config (colors, wheels) as me (except in LR AWD) who ordered only 2 weeks ago get delivery notices..

Really wish Tesla would contact people with RWD orders to tell them if they are going to make it or not as it would suck to wait a year only to be forced to upgrade as we could have gotten the car way earlier even during the initial deliveries by upgrading to AWD.

Nice! What color, wheels, seats etc?

On a side note, I'm seeing some people that ordered the same config (colors, wheels) as me (except in LR AWD) who ordered only 2 weeks ago get delivery notices..

Really wish Tesla would contact people with RWD orders to tell them if they are going to make it or not as it would suck to wait a year only to be forced to upgrade as we could have gotten the car way earlier even during the initial deliveries by upgrading to AWD.

Agreed. With each passing day that we have zero communication from Tesla (and left with the ambiguity of whether or not the RWD Y will ever be produced), I lose interest in becoming a Tesla owner.

This experience is making me more appreciative of my current vehicle and my dealer. Perhaps I just don’t want it bad enough to accept a substandard pre-purchase experience. Time will tell. I’ll probably stick with this through the end of the month before requesting a refund of my deposit.

• Funny
Reactions: mgraff and CyberShy
Bottom line, if you want a car and don’t want to wait until next year, order an AWD.
Agree at least for many but you may need help from sales to insure you're paying the correct amount. If I try and update to AWD from RWD now I'll get charged an extra $1,000 for FSD since the price has increased even though it was included in my initial order.
My local sales advisor is working with corporate sales to resolve it since he agrees the initial price should not be changed now. Fortunately, I did not complete the change order. Hopefully this will get resolved quickly.

Agree at least for many but you may need help from sales to insure you're paying the correct amount. If I try and update to AWD from RWD now I'll get charged an extra $1,000 for FSD since the price has increased even though it was included in my initial order.
My local sales advisor is working with corporate sales to resolve it since he agrees the initial price should not be changed now. Fortunately, I did not complete the change order. Hopefully this will get resolved quickly.

I hope it works out for you! In my experience so far, they have not been able to adjustments from the current pricing structure..just like how AWD went up in price. They said take it or leave it.

Guess there aren't that many people RWD people out there as I'm not seeing much talk about it..

I'm here.. still waiting for an update for Tesla.. or at least a paussible way to upgrade RWD to AWD without huge price increase (recalculate car value at todays value vs ordering last year when FSD was at 6k). Still cant believe they didn't addressed us before offering the 7-seat to 5-seat downgrade option to few customers, since those guys did expect their car for 2021 or later, while RWD we expected almost the same treatment or close as the AWD/Performance (well they dint explicit said their plans to push RWD off till 2 months ago, and not while ordering). Plus offering AWD upgrades for a price == more profit for the same car.

And to add something on my particular mix I'm from Mexico, so who knows when they will start exporting model Ys down here, according to dealer they expect their first deliveries till June/July (AWD/P?) Who knows.. i bet they dont know either.

Hopefully we hear something new after this/next week start with deliveries.

Tesla will co e through. When an order is taken and no time for execution of the contract is given, California courts will impute a “reasonable time” to perform. Once a deposit is taken, a clause excusing performance requires reasonable cause to excuse performance. Not wanting to build the car they advertised and accepted a deposit for sale is not reasonable cause.

I think I’ll wait and see what they will do once the higher margin cars are moved out in 1Q. TSLA will join the ranks in the major stock indexes with four profitable GAAP quarters and the mutual funds will add it to their portfolios bumping the price further. That is likely the strategic plan they are following. (Just be glad you didn’t short the stock.). By then the production ramp up will be far enough along they may just work on getting as many vehicles out the door as they can before all those promised “Tesla Killers” show up. (Oh, wait. Those cars have been evaporating since the short sellers have gone broke.)