Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S Autopilot vs X Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any difference between the S autopilot hardware and the X autopilot hardware?

Well, it's not the same. It remains to be seen whether the difference is significant or indicative of anything for the future.

AFAIK, the software does exactly the same things at the moment, and from the forum descriptions I think about as well (my experience so far is one test drive with each, with maybe five minutes of Autopilot in each.)

In every AP Model S I've seen, the camera is centered in the behind the mirror space, as it is in the high resolution photo I found from Google, here:

1028561139.jpg

However, on the X the camera appears to be on the right side of the housing, as you can see here (another Googled image)

AQ2Y0207.jpg

I remembered it because some early Tesla images had what people thought were two cameras showing, which I've never seen mention of since. I'm not sure if it means anything, but it does indicate the hardware isn't identical, or at least isn't installed identically.

[edit: it looks like the refreshed S has the same centered camera as the older Ss:]

p0al7cy.jpg

Last edited: