Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY buttons at Abstract Ocean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2 part question...

1. I saw in this video a guy doing a review of the S3XY buttons back in March 2022, and he shows a version of the S3XY Buttons app dashboard that includes the autopilot status, set speed, and (I think) speed limit at the bottom of the screen. (See below.) But I can't find any way to display these on my app.

1679634346452.png

Also, probably relevant... right around the time that he mentions the autopilot display stuff in the video, there's little message at the bottom of the screen that says "In a future update this functioning will be unlocked".

So what's the deal here?
Did this guy get a special demo version of the app the show off since he was doing a review and they just faked in the autopilot stuff at the bottom?
Is the app going to eventually get updated to include these items in the dashboard?
Did the developers intend to add these features, but later realized they couldn't? ( @dimitar.ns ?)

2. Does anyone know if there are any other stand-alone aftermarket displays or phone apps that display (1) Speed, (2) Autopilot status, (3) Set speed, and (4) Speed limit?

I would love to have a driver-centered display or HUD that displays all of these items. So if the S3XY app can't do it, I'd be willing to look elsewhere. And, preferably, I'd want these items displayed much larger than is shown in the S3XY Buttons dashboard in the above video anyway.

Relatedly: @dimitar.ns , if you're ever able to figure out how to add these items to the S3XY Buttons dashboard, please consider making them much bigger / more prominent than what was shown in the above video. (Either by default or as a user-configured option.) As far as I'm concerned, almost everything else on the current dashboard would be mere clutter in comparison to the autopilot stuff. Heck, I'd gladly pay extra for an app that could do this.

So the buttons will allow you to set the wipers to 0.5 speed or off when in autopilot/TACC?
Yes, you can override Tesla's settings in AP and TACC. We also have a Smart Action which will stop Tesla from forcing you to set the wipers to Auto on AP and TACC so you could always be at OFF without toughing the buttons or the screen and activate the wipers manually only when you really need them.

Is there any noticeable vampire drain from the Commander adapter plugged in all the time? Does the car power the ODBII port when off or does the adapter just have a low power sleep state?
There is no vampire drain at all. There are two measures to handle this:
1. the Commander detects when the CAN bus communication in the car stops and enters Deep Sleep mode where the consumption is less than 0.15 mA.
2. the car itself stops the power to the Commander socket once it goes to sleep

How is security handled with the Commander? If someone were to spoof a button, couldn't they unlock the car/etc?
We have custom end-to-end encryption for communication between all the components (Phone, Commander and Buttons). Our device refuses any additional connection requests unless a Connect button is physically pressed on the case of the Commander or the Steering wheel button is pressed inside the car, which basically prevents everyone from outside the car to connect to the device.
Recently we released a new feature called “Safe Bluetooth Connect” in Commander Settings which improves the security even more by turning off the BT of the Commander completely if there is nobody in the car and it's locked. This way the buttons are not even seen in the list with BT devices around the car.
Another security mechanism we implemented is a restricted proprietary BT interface of the Commander - it accepts only commands which correspond to the functions of our buttons, it's not possible to send RAW messages or something like that because it will simply not understand what it is.
All these measures will ensure that nobody messes with your car through our device.
If someone was to spoof a button from inside of your car they couldn't change its configuration to unlock the doors without access to the Commander.
Even if they were to spoof the Unlock button which you previously configured, this function is protected by default and works only if a Phone key is nearby so without your phone they couldn't unlock the car.

Any chance of getting a light mode for the dash? Most of my driving is during the day, and I can't make out anything on the dash except the speed. (My phone is mounted to the left of the steering wheel.)
Yes, later this year we will have also a Light mode.

1. I saw in this video a guy doing a review of the S3XY buttons back in March 2022, and he shows a version of the S3XY Buttons app dashboard that includes the autopilot status, set speed, and (I think) speed limit at the bottom of the screen. (See below.) But I can't find any way to display these on my app.

1679634346452.png
The app in this video is nearly 1 year old when we had all the features we are planning to implement shown by default but we decided to remove them in order to avoid confusion. We will add the AP status icon in one of the next updates but unfortunately, we realized we cannot do the TACC speed and road speed limit with the connection we currently have, however, they are still on our roadmap and we hope to find a way to implement them somehow one day.
We are currently designing an updated version of the Dashboard with a simpler UI and bigger text and gauges. You would be able to choose from different skins and dark/light/auto modes. Have in mind that our current Dashboard is still in beta aiming to show the transfer speed and amount of data we are able to do with our proprietary interface. The UI part is easy to change and we will do it later this year.

Yes, you can override Tesla's settings in AP and TACC. We also have a Smart Action which will stop Tesla from forcing you to set the wipers to Auto on AP and TACC so you could always be at OFF without toughing the buttons or the screen and activate the wipers manually only when you really need them.

There is no vampire drain at all. There are two measures to handle this:
1. the Commander detects when the CAN bus communication in the car stops and enters Deep Sleep mode where the consumption is less than 0.15 mA.
2. the car itself stops the power to the Commander socket once it goes to sleep

We have custom end-to-end encryption for communication between all the components (Phone, Commander and Buttons). Our device refuses any additional connection requests unless a Connect button is physically pressed on the case of the Commander or the Steering wheel button is pressed inside the car, which basically prevents everyone from outside the car to connect to the device.
Recently we released a new feature called “Safe Bluetooth Connect” in Commander Settings which improves the security even more by turning off the BT of the Commander completely if there is nobody in the car and it's locked. This way the buttons are not even seen in the list with BT devices around the car.
Another security mechanism we implemented is a restricted proprietary BT interface of the Commander - it accepts only commands which correspond to the functions of our buttons, it's not possible to send RAW messages or something like that because it will simply not understand what it is.
All these measures will ensure that nobody messes with your car through our device.
If someone was to spoof a button from inside of your car they couldn't change its configuration to unlock the doors without access to the Commander.
Even if they were to spoof the Unlock button which you previously configured, this function is protected by default and works only if a Phone key is nearby so without your phone they couldn't unlock the car.

Yes, later this year we will have also a Light mode.

The app in this video is nearly 1 year old when we had all the features we are planning to implement shown by default but we decided to remove them in order to avoid confusion. We will add the AP status icon in one of the next updates but unfortunately, we realized we cannot do the TACC speed and road speed limit with the connection we currently have, however, they are still on our roadmap and we hope to find a way to implement them somehow one day.
We are currently designing an updated version of the Dashboard with a simpler UI and bigger text and gauges. You would be able to choose from different skins and dark/light/auto modes. Have in mind that our current Dashboard is still in beta aiming to show the transfer speed and amount of data we are able to do with our proprietary interface. The UI part is easy to change and we will do it later this year.
Awesome, informative reply. Thanks so much!

Smart! There are thieves looking for Bluetooth and WiFi signals from parked cars indicating laptops or tablets to break in for.

I've been following this thread, eagerly waiting for more information on the new buttons/button bar. Is there an ETA on the announcement for these? Trying to decide whether I go for the existing buttons now or wait for the new ones. Thanks!
Just go with the existing version and enjoy the buttons from now as the ETA for the bar is by the end of this year. We will try to do most things compatible so you could upgrade partially (only Commander or only buttons bar) if you don't want to get everything new for example.

Reactions: Romano and BitJam
This is a bug in our Dashboard. We will fix it with the next version soon. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Unfortunately with the current Commander, this is not possible as we don't have access to this information. We are planning this for our future products.

This feature just simulates a short steering wheel scroll Up and Down (+1/-1) in order to dismiss the NAG. Cars in the US are configured to consider the steering wheel button movement as a signal that the hands are on the wheel (even if they are not) so we are just simulating this. I'm not sure if Omar (Mars) is using this in his car, but it's pretty cool if he does :)

As far as we know, the feature is still working, but the only problem is that you have to press the button more often because Tesla changed the interval for the NAG. We might make some functions in the future which bring back the interval and make it longer.

This is not a normal issue and is not related to Berlin cars. Forgetting the button problem might be if you are using the Long press feature when the button is asleep. We recommend using Double-press instead.
Regarding the Trunk you can write to [email protected] and they will help you with it. It might be a defective button or something like this. In the past we had similar issues because of the wrong Tesla and Commander versions but as far as I can see your versions are correct. However, it will be best to send CommanderSettings->CarInfo screenshot to the support team.
Update about the issue where the button disappeared and/or the trunk has weird responds. I tested several buttons and all had the same issue. It seems the placement of the buttons at the inside trunk left side hidden was the issue. With my previous Y this worked out perfectly, with my new on, with cover it has issues. I replaced batteries but issue still there. Placed the button on top of the cover and works perfect again.
I’m happy with the placement and also wife is happy. She can’t reach the button on the trunk door in high position, isn’t keen working with the app and now she can close the trunk and doesn’t have to go inside the car to close it 😁

• Love
Reactions: dimitar.ns
Question :

I can’t seem to get the buttons to unlock the doors to let my passengers in.
I’m using the latest edition S3xy buttons in a 2023 Model Y Performance edition; software V11.1 (2023.6.9 8b27e21d9137).

I’m using iOS version 3.3.6

I’m pretty sure I’m setup properly.
I unlock the car with the phone. I never have to use the Keycard…
I’m sitting in the front seat and still nothing happens. Car is in Park… The lock option sometimes shows the status of the car switch to lock. But the unlock or toggle never unlocks the car. I tested it with my daughter a few times yesterday and this morning… I have to press and hold the open door button until the signal light double flash a ding sound is made and then the doors unlock. It’s annoying because it forces me to unlatch my door every time. Just to unlock the car 🤦🏻‍♂️.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Yes, please add AP icon to dashboard, but ALSO….please add the flashing blue warning that precedes AP Deactivation. The model Y can sometimes deactivate AP (e.g. put you in AP Jail) without a single audio warning. Having the extra “blue glow” on the App Dashboard would be really helpful in these circumstances.

Think of it this way, green glow on left and right of dashboard for turn signal, blue glow near the top of Dashboard for AP de-activation warning.

Also, the latest update BROKE your “interior lights” feature. Worked great until I updated. Stopped working after latest update.

2023 Model Y LH (Feb ‘23 Build date)
iPhone 13 Max
iOS 16.3.1

I'll 2nd this, they are massive and ugly. i'd be interested in a small slim set that are actually connected to each other that attach to the bottom of the screen. And what about a physical volume knob. It would work just like programming two buttons for up and down?
There's the ctrl-bar

Only downside from what i have read, is that you can only use the buttons to a few things, they are not freely costumizable, and the actual control is throught your phone....Bar connects to your phone and the phone sends the commands to the car.

There's the ctrl-bar

Only downside from what i have read, is that you can only use the buttons to a few things, they are not freely costumizable, and the actual control is throught your phone....Bar connects to your phone and the phone sends the commands to the car.

Yes, that’s what I have read, seems like too much of a compromise.

They already selling this.

They already selling this.

It is preorder and on the indiegogo page, it seems like the product is delayed until end of July 2023.

There's the ctrl-bar

Well isn't it too early to tell? I mean I don't think the screenshots list the full set of controls that it can control yet right. Perhaps the screenshots provide just a sample of what functions it can do and does say it can do "much much more". Also it seems like the CTRL-bar is being updated to include 6 button shortcuts instead of just 4 button shortcuts according to the Indigogo page.