Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY buttons at Abstract Ocean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an alternative solution they could make sexy buttons that had a USB-A / USB-C connector in the back instead of a battery, then you could buy the USB hub shown above, and then the buttons would plug into the USB socket, and the back of the buttons would be flush with the USB hub.

This way you could determine how many buttons and how many USB sockets you wanted.

You would then basically plug the buttons into the USB port and power them this way.

As an alternative solution they could make sexy buttons that had a USB-A / USB-C connector in the back instead of a battery, then you could buy the USB hub shown above, and then the buttons would plug into the USB socket, and the back of the buttons would be flush with the USB hub.

This way you could determine how many buttons and how many USB sockets you wanted.

You would then basically plug the buttons into the USB port and power them this way
The buttons do not need much power. They also can be hidden, which is one of the benefits IMO. Also, you start to take up all of your USBs if they require power.
Personally, I am quite happy with how they come, they allow for placement in many different places. From the frunk to the trunk...having them connected and needing power would prevent that.

The buttons do not need much power. They also can be hidden, which is one of the benefits IMO. Also, you start to take up all of your USBs if they require power.
Personally, I am quite happy with how they come, they allow for placement in many different places. From the frunk to the trunk...having them connected and needing power would prevent that.
I agree, But I could see where having a "button bar" that attaches to the bottom of the screen could be useful for a number of people. Not to replace the current buttons, but to be in addition to.

I agree, But I could see where having a "button bar" that attaches to the bottom of the screen could be useful for a number of people. Not to replace the current buttons, but to be in addition to.
I actually saw a product like this somewhere on the internet, there were 2 dials for the temperature and fan speed, and some buttons that could be set up for whatever.

Only 2 drawbacks were the cable from the unit into the dash, to get power and as far as i understood it, the device connected via bluetooth to your phone and sent the commands via the phone / app so you needed the phone to have it working.

I am currently on s3xy button app version to 3.1.4, and Tesla software to 2023.2.10 (both upgrade yesterday). However, the battery preconditioning function does not seem to work after that (shows Prec. N/A). Does anyone else experience the same?
This is a known bug for some models. It's noted here: Supported Tesla models and versions
I hope we have a fix for it this week. Stay tuned for a new version and enable notifications in the app if you don't want to miss it.

Thanks for letting me know, hopefully that's something @dimitar.ns will address soon.
We know about this issue and yes it will be addressed soon.

"Set car to tow mode"
It's planned for later this year.

dimitar.ns About the people having issues with AP hands free, my car (2020 MYP) located in the US no longer recognizes moving a scroll wheel as an acknowledgement of the "hands on wheel" nag... since the S3XY button AP hands free worked by simulating input from the speed control scroll wheel this feature is now broken.

Keith
We have issues with the Plaid but this is the first time we see it not working for MYP. Is it still working if you toggle the Steering wheel toggle directly +1up -1down?

@dimitar.ns : Is there any known issue with the toggle-low-beams function on model 3s? I have a button set for that, and it doesn't work. (same button configured to toggle fog lights on double-click. That works fine).
Also, could there be a "headlights auto -> off -> on" cycle option? (or a way to build custom cycles out of arbitrary commands so that you don't have to predict the full set of things people might want)?
Low-Beams is another known issue but only with some configurations. We will fix it as soon as we gather more information for which models it's present. Please, send CarInfo screenshots to [email protected] if you want to help.
We will add the Cycle option for the headlights in the future, in's in the plan.

@dimitar.ns

Smart Action Suggestion Sir:
  1. Auto reduce Regen (to user preference) when ambient is +1C/33F or below. As you may know the 3/F inherent RWD nature makes then a bit funny on ice at throttle lift. Naturally, somebody in warmer climate would not turn it on.
  2. Have turn signal indicators flash and change color to red following BSA (As Teslogic does) when turn signal on.
  3. Allow BSA alerts to flashers (as #2 above) when turn signals off (perhaps in yellow)
  4. Partner with the radar detector mfg of your choice and reduce AP speed by XYZ on alert.
Feature Suggestions:
  1. Show last function called on Dashboard display for 3 seconds.
  2. Partner with These guys and takeover the hardware as a S3xy button product.
Thanks for the great suggestions. Here are some comments:
1. It's in the plan together with a lot of other Smart Actions
2. and 3. are planned for the next-gen Commander/Buttons
4. not planned for now but will have it in mind

The first suggestion is planned already, and will come later this year. For the second one you can see below, we plan a similar product.

I set one button to just turn on ALL the rear seat heaters. If it's single-pressed once, it turns onto the HIGHEST setting? If I wait and press it again, it goes to the MIDDLE setting? If I wait and press it again, it goes to the LOWEST setting? If I wait once more and press it again, it will turn OFF?

Is that the correct assumption?

The LEDs didn't seem to correlate at least from what I understood, and I couldn't verify it on the app or the screen.
@gx9901 already answered pretty well to this. I don't have anything to add just that the status is shown on the S3XY Dashboard and the buttons is flashing every 10 seconds the same number of times the heated level was activated.

If you activate the heated seats via sexy buttons, the graphics on the tesla 15" screen does not show that the heating is on ?
This is with the current implementation. We are preparing Tesla API integration which will improve the heated seats functionality soon and you will be able to see the status on the Tesla Screen. This will come as an in-app purchase for existing users.

@dimitar.ns
I think it would be great if SEXY buttons were made in a form of a bar. Something similar to this center console USB extension bar in the pics bellow. It would perfectly blend with Tesla interior and could use USB power source to power LEDs and buttons.
View attachment 906612

Your suggestion is pretty close. Soon we will reveal a new device design which will be placed like the pictures you show here, it will have several configurable buttons with the Tesla API and with the Commander (if you have it), a hidden screen, and a premium OEM looks and feel. Stay tuned for the announcement next month. This bar will be compatible with the next-gen buttons and the Commander (still not clear if it will be compatible with the current Commander but we will try). The idea for additional USB ports will be inside but not on top to not ruin the premium look. I hope you will all like it, of course the S3XY Buttons for people that want to hide the buttons will still be available, so this will be more like an add-on or another form of buttons.

This is with the current implementation. We are preparing Tesla API integration which will improve the heated seats functionality soon and you will be able to see the status on the Tesla Screen. This will come as an in-app purchase for existing users.
Will that work if you're in a wifi dead zone? (Assuming it uses the cell phone-hits-cloud approach, I hope I'll be able to opt out and keep communication local?)

This is a known bug for some models. It's noted here: Supported Tesla models and versions
I hope we have a fix for it this week. Stay tuned for a new version and enable notifications in the app if you don't want to miss it.

We know about this issue and yes it will be addressed soon.

It's planned for later this year.

We have issues with the Plaid but this is the first time we see it not working for MYP. Is it still working if you toggle the Steering wheel toggle directly +1up -1down?

Low-Beams is another known issue but only with some configurations. We will fix it as soon as we gather more information for which models it's present. Please, send CarInfo screenshots to [email protected] if you want to help.
We will add the Cycle option for the headlights in the future, in's in the plan.

Thanks for the great suggestions. Here are some comments:
1. It's in the plan together with a lot of other Smart Actions
2. and 3. are planned for the next-gen Commander/Buttons
4. not planned for now but will have it in mind

The first suggestion is planned already, and will come later this year. For the second one you can see below, we plan a similar product.

@gx9901 already answered pretty well to this. I don't have anything to add just that the status is shown on the S3XY Dashboard and the buttons is flashing every 10 seconds the same number of times the heated level was activated.

Your suggestion is pretty close. Soon we will reveal a new device design which will be placed like the pictures you show here, it will have several configurable buttons with the Tesla API and with the Commander (if you have it), a hidden screen, and a premium OEM looks and feel. Stay tuned for the announcement next month. This bar will be compatible with the next-gen buttons and the Commander (still not clear if it will be compatible with the current Commander but we will try). The idea for additional USB ports will be inside but not on top to not ruin the premium look. I hope you will all like it, of course the S3XY Buttons for people that want to hide the buttons will still be available, so this will be more like an add-on or another form of buttons.
Is there an eta for the “next gen commander/buttons”?

Are you planning weeks, months, year?

Yup, verified today that the up / down on speed via the steering wheel scroll button no longer works to let the car know that you are paying attention and holding the wheel. This is in the United States in my 2021 MYP on software 2023.2.10

Keith

Has anyone else been looking at these: S3XY Buttons? Dirty Tesla gave them a mention. Not cheap but they look very cool. It's a kit that comes with 2, 4, or 6 stick-on programmable buttons. You also get an app that has a dashboard feature (speedometer and lots of really cool info). Seems like a great use of an old phone or tablet.

Currently you can program the buttons to:

Open glovebox
Set drive mode acceleration
Change regen mode
Control media
Open/close/unlock charge port
Open trunk
Fold mirrors
Open frunk
Control hazard lights
Engage parking brake
Turn interior lights on/off
Enable track mode

They say more functions are on the way.
Wouldn't voice commands do the same things?

Will that work if you're in a wifi dead zone? (Assuming it uses the cell phone-hits-cloud approach, I hope I'll be able to opt out and keep communication local?)
Unfortunately no, it will rely on your phone's internet to send commands with Tesla API. It will be good for the city and commands that the lag is not a problem - Heated Seats, Homelink, Vent windows, etc.
You can always assign functions that work with the Commander if you have it installed. The functions compatible with the Tesla API and Commander will be different.

Is there an eta for the “next gen commander/buttons”?

Are you planning weeks, months, year?
We hope to have them by the summer. Might actually come at different times but we will try to make them backward and forward-compatible so you could use them with current Buttons and Commander.

Wouldn't voice commands do the same things?
Actually, more than 70% of the functions that buttons provide are not available with Voice - change Chill/Sport, switch Regen, Autopilot, Battery Precondition, Mirrors Dim and Tilt on R, Rear Fan toggle, Recirculation and A/C, Headlights, Wipers, Stopping Mode, Traction Control and many more.
It's just simply quicker and safer to press a button without taking your eyes off the road to execute these things. There are many functions and everyone finds his best fit.

Last edited:
Any chance to have "Wiper Service Mode" added as well? It will be useful for us with snow & freezing rain often in winter.
It's a nice idea but currently, we cannot do it because Tesla will not keep the Wipers in Service Mode after a sleep cycle if it was activated from the buttons (unlike activating it from the screen). So it will not work as expected if one relies on finding his wipers in the Service mod in the morning. If we make such a button it should have a big disclaimer describing this. Will you use the button in this case and will it help you with something?

It's a nice idea but currently, we cannot do it because Tesla will not keep the Wipers in Service Mode after a sleep cycle if it was activated from the buttons (unlike activating it from the screen). So it will not work as expected if one relies on finding his wipers in the Service mod in the morning. If we make such a button it should have a big disclaimer describing this. Will you use the button in this case and will it help you with something?
If I'm understanding it correctly, that if you had wiper service mode activated via a S3XY button, it would retract back into normal position after a sleep cycle, I think it would be best that you do not implement it.

I use the wiper service mode sometimes when it's snowing so I can pull the wipers away from the windshield to prevent ice from forming between the wipers and the windshield. If the wipers retract back to normal position while being pulled up, I think it could result in scratched paint on the hood, bent wipers, or maybe even cracked windshield from wipers slamming down on it. I think people don't tend to read disclaimers so I'm thinking that won't prevent these types of issues.

Thanks for letting me know, totally not aware of this behaviour. Indeed, it seems not a good idea to implement this even with a huge disclaimer.

With the latest firmware update, my display is stuck on chill mode even though I am in sport and shows roll when I am in hold?
This usually happens when the Commander and the car are incompatible versions.
You should set the right toggle for “Before Tesla 2022.36” inside Commander Settings and eventually update again. If you keep older Tesla version (before 2022.36) set it to ON, if you have newer Tesla version (2022.44, 2023.2) set it to OFF.
You can send more details for the issue to [email protected] if it’s not fixed.