Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S85 battery pack issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,
Got my first ever tesla back in feb 2021 (64 plate MS 85 AP1 with MCU2 upgraded, 72k miles) , absolutely love it!
Today it stopped charging at 61% without any warning messages. Came back to the charger tonight to top up, stopped at 61% again. Parked up to do 2021.24.5 update , once completed, showed 70% charge !
Thought i would try again to charge and now getting the yellow warning message Maximum Battery charge level reduced. Sent a service request which some photos.
Anyone here had same issue?

Sounds like this other thread...

Sounds like this other thread...

Yeah thanks, I did actually see that thread, but didnt notice any UK users posting the issue, so though i would ask here.

Reactions: Irata
Hi guys,
Got my first ever tesla back in feb 2021 (64 plate MS 85 AP1 with MCU2 upgraded, 72k miles) , absolutely love it!
Today it stopped charging at 61% without any warning messages. Came back to the charger tonight to top up, stopped at 61% again. Parked up to do 2021.24.5 update , once completed, showed 70% charge !
Thought i would try again to charge and now getting the yellow warning message Maximum Battery charge level reduced. Sent a service request which some photos.
Anyone here had same issue?

Sounds like the battery is knackered, luckily you are still in warranty, get it booked into Tesla ASAP!

Screenshot_20210912-124951_Chrome.jpg

IIRC the original Tesla warranty of batteries was 8years with 80% original retention but that appears to have been reduced to 70% so one wonders if they're deliberately holding yours back 'til they get over the line....
I can't speak to your country but in the US, the Model S and X originally had NO capacity warranty at all.

The fact that it got added (US page of Vehicle Warranty) is an improvement for that aspect.

Tesla Model 3 Battery Warranty Includes 70% Retention Guarantee from Dec 2017 even says:
"The battery retention portion of the warranty differs from that of the Model S and X. Neither of those Tesla carry a retention guarantee, nor does Tesla list degradation from battery usage as part of the Model S & X warranty."

I am the first in the UK to get this dreaded message? Surely not. And nkt looking forward to taking back to my local SC, been rocky road with them and the (very expensive upgrad) MCU2 crashing still isnt sorted almost 6 months later

I can't speak to your country but in the US, the Model S and X originally had NO capacity warranty at all.

The fact that it got added (US page of Vehicle Warranty) is an improvement for that aspect.

Tesla Model 3 Battery Warranty Includes 70% Retention Guarantee from Dec 2017 even says:
"The battery retention portion of the warranty differs from that of the Model S and X. Neither of those Tesla carry a retention guarantee, nor does Tesla list degradation from battery usage as part of the Model S & X warranty."
Not sure my issue is (warranty) degradation which , i assume, would be normal to see and just standard wear and tear but my sudden error message and the fact it wont charge above 61% all of a sudden feels more like a faulty pack ? Certainly hope its resolved quickly and i get a pack which gives me at least 235 miles range or more.
Silly question, car is currently sat at 65% (had it plugged in over night at home on a 7kw charger, and the car decided it would charge for an hour), so is it ok to drive? Or should i leave it parked up and just get on the phone first thing in the morning to my local SC ?(and yes, i have already sent a service request last night via the app as soon as the fault appeared)
Can i assume the reported 65% is correct at least? So i know i will have enough to get the the SC

Quick update. SC confirmed HV pack needs replacing under the 8 year warranty. However they also told me the replacement reconditioned pack will only have remaining warranty balance of the current pack. Is this the norm? Maybe i misread one of the posts, but i thought there was a full year warranty on replacement packs?
They also said they cannot provide any information on the current packs degradation/range at full charge (before failure), so how can i verify the pack they will put in will be same or better range than i was getting before failure? I have the data from past 10 000 miles on TeslaFi but they said they wont take anything like that into account

Quick update. SC confirmed HV pack needs replacing under the 8 year warranty. However they also told me the replacement reconditioned pack will only have remaining warranty balance of the current pack. Is this the norm? Maybe i misread one of the posts, but i thought there was a full year warranty on replacement packs?
They also said they cannot provide any information on the current packs degradation/range at full charge (before failure), so how can i verify the pack they will put in will be same or better range than i was getting before failure? I have the data from past 10 000 miles on TeslaFi but they said they wont take anything like that into account
Wonder if the issue with your HV pack is the same as the one Rich Rebuilds covered this weekend?

Not aware of any 3rd parties doing battery repairs in the uk.

The original warranty was 8 years, unlimited miles. The later was limited miles but a threshold on degradation, you win some you lose some on that

They should be paying for the recovery if they accept its a warranty matter. I'd be pushing for that as a mnimum.

This is the earliest warranty document I can find - the website says its for cars pre 2017 and it does reference very early cars. Your car should be covered by the warranty when it was first sold, not what they say the current warranty is. I can only see references to the battery being of at least the capacity of the old battery before failure.

It does mention reconditioned components though so they are within their rights to do that.

Reactions: MoLeViP
Any idea if we have thirdparties here in the UK doing this type of work on Teslas?
These guys do battery work on other EVs, and general EV servicing, but not sure if they have access to Tesla diagnostics.

Looks like they may be in your area:

Reactions: MoLeViP
Thanks for all the info and advice guys. Will keep this post updated.

There is a good chance you will get a new '85/90' pack with 350volts architecture. Its suppose to be far superior to the older packs is essentially the latest cell chemistry but with one block of cells removed.

Out of warranty its currently a $20k+ option! So may do well out of this :).

There is a good chance you will get a new '85/90' pack with 350volts architecture. Its suppose to be far superior to the older packs is essentially the latest cell chemistry but with one block of cells removed.

Out of warranty its currently a $20k+ option! So may do well out of this :).
SC said it will be a reconditioned pack with at least same range but werent willing to tell me what that range is nor what their process is of calculating it. How would i know if its a new vs reconditioned pack?