TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Maximum battery charge level reduced

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by tpedwards, Dec 29, 2019.

1. tpedwards

tpedwards Member

My April 2015 P85D has been adversely affected by batterygate and chargegate (I believe). I had not really thought much about it except that long stretches between Superchargers became tougher to make especially in winter months. That said, tonight I get the message below and it stops charging very short of the charge limit. With a charge limit set at 70% it stops charging at 26% (on my HPWC at home). I already have a mobile service appointment for this coming Friday. For what it is worth, my CPO bumper to bumper warranty just expired (mobile service appointment was scheduled before this expiration) when I rolled over 100,000 miles
    Anybody get this message? If so, would you share your outcome?

Attached Files:

• Informative x 4
  2. Tesomega

Tesomega Member

Sounds like a eminent battery failure..If it is, you should be covered upto 8 years.. share with the thread what the results are from your appointment.

3. tpedwards

tpedwards Member

Scheduled for HVB replacement. It takes 10 days for them to come in. My appointment is scheduled for 1/10.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  4. BigNick

BigNick Disaffected Member

Does your P85D have the Ludicrous upgrade? I am guessing it doesn’t, from your avatar photo.

It would be interesting to see what your replacement battery part number is.

5. tpedwards

tpedwards Member

You are correct, no ludicrous, nor plus suspension. I will post the battery part no. when the swap is done.

6. webbah

webbah Member

• Informative x 5
  7. tpedwards

tpedwards Member

I am well aware of batterygate and chargegate brought on by updates late spring/early summer. My capacity dropped due to the voltage cap to the effect of at least 20 miles of rated range.

I will be subscribing to Teslafi just before I take it in for the swap.

• Informative x 2
  8. tpedwards

tpedwards Member

Just for posterity...

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  9. Mweida

Mweida Member

Just got this message today. Had service scheduled for Monday Dec 30 canceled by service after remote diag. Waiting for next round. Pretty sure it is nuked.

Did they at least offer a loaner to you?

• Informative x 1
  10. qphan79

qphan79 Member

I just got this same alert on my 2013 Model S 60. I submitted for a service appointment but I was bumped until February! Wonder if I can call and get serviced sooner. Any idea what this might cost since I’m definitely way out of warranty??

11. tpedwards

tpedwards Member

I had an appointment for today (Friday) to drop off the car. However I called yesterday after driving it to work. I got nervous. They said bring it on in since I was simply dropping it off. They only had 60s for loaners and they gave me the option to get a rental ICE. No way, I got a Model S 60 no tech package, but it has Autopilot!
    They ran diagnostics already and confirmed that a battery swap is planned, but the battery won’t arrive until next Thursday. Hopefully my car will be ready next Friday.

• Like x 1
  12. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

What do you mean by no tech package? I'm pretty sure that the tech package was standard long before AP was even an option..

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  13. BigNick

BigNick Disaffected Member

Considering the S was designed with “pit stop” swappable batteries, no reason it shouldn’t be ready the day after the battery arrives, assuming a tech and a battery jack is available to do the work.

14. tpedwards

tpedwards Member

I was surprised too. Remember ALL Model S were equipped with AP1 hardware after October 2014 or so, but you could still order one without Tech Package or AutoPilot. Then, it goes back to Tesla and they turn on the AutoPilot. Quite the unicorn, albeit one less desirable.

Yes, I would hope so. All depends on the delivery of the battery and the SC schedule. The pack arrival is based on ETA from the carrier.

15. baiba.ansone

baiba.ansone Member

I just got this same alert on my 2014 Model S P85. The charging does not start and shows that charging complete.
    Is it possible to solve the issue without going to the service center?

16. MP3Mike

So far the reports are that the battery has failed and needs to be replaced. That requires a trip to the service center.

17. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

No, in early days, the Tech pkg was an option, for my '13, it was ~$3,750.It included the nav and a bunch of convenience features.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  18. MP3Mike

I understand that, but I thought they made the tach package standard before Autopilot as part of the "end of range anxiety". But now I see that that came just a little later. AP announced 10/14, end of range anxiety announced 3/15. So there was only a few months of AP cars that didn't have the tech package standard.

But even so, I didn't think it was an option to buy Autopilot but not the Tech package.

• Like x 1
  19. Droschke

Droschke Active Member

20. Gixx1300R

Gixx1300R Member

It will be interesting to see if you battery and charging is still capped after the swap

• Helpful x 1