Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SA Govt EV Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No construction photos from Streaky Bay yet (or Elliston, both on the construction list this month), a report of construction starting in Port Augusta and no news for Wudinna and Kimba.
IMG_1313.png

Streaky Bay council have confirmed construction is happening!

Reactions: Chuq and cafz
The RAA installing a 32amp single phase type 2 in Penong and Nullarbor when a 32amp 3 phase already exists is not going to provide anything but negative publicity-
NRMA are already installing a DCFC under the National Electric Vehicle Charging Network anyway - https://minister.dcceew.gov.au/bowe...ehicle-charging-network-connect-all-australia

- Coorabie SA
- Border Village SA
- Nullarbor SA

Not to mention some other duplication planned at Ceduna, Wudinna etc (being at least the RAA Charge stations + the NRMA National Electric Vehicle Charging Network)

NRMA are already installing a DCFC under the National Electric Vehicle Charging Network anyway - https://minister.dcceew.gov.au/bowe...ehicle-charging-network-connect-all-australia

- Coorabie SA
- Border Village SA
- Nullarbor SA

Not to mention some other duplication planned at Ceduna, Wudinna etc (being at least the RAA Charge stations + the NRMA National Electric Vehicle Charging Network)
True.
But what's the bet these locations won't be installed before 2025 at the earliest.

Reactions: Blue heaven

- Coorabie SA
- Border Village SA
- Nullarbor SA

Then whats the point of the RAA installing a 32amp single phase outlet then? I guess it can only be marketing.

Onkaparinga Council has just granted the RAA a 6 year lease to a site at Seaford Central Shopping Center. I read the minutes of the meeting at the time and if I remember correctly, they were quite professional. They were focused on the lease, not the politics of EVs.

The problem I see is the likes of Jolt, Evie are not interested. For Jolt they seem to have a footprint on the Adelaide Plains with Marion being about the far South. For Jolt, I see potential for something at say Port Noarlunga. There is a carpark between Becks Bakery and Grey St - They could face advertising signs at Grey Street - a reasonably high traffic area. Have you contacted Jolt and asked why there is nothing out South?

When the SA government put out tenders for the SA Gov Network, I understood very few participants in the DCFC space was interested. They ended up having to broker a deal with the RAA. It wasn't the RAA that put in a tender.
Here is the result of my communications with Onkaparinga council which was facilitated through my local elected Cr who was more than helpful with my enquiry.

Long story short it looks like apart from allowing RAA on a case by case basis they are hoping that service stations and private companies take up the load on private land.

Ie “ It is anticipated that EV charging infrastructure will become a service provided for by petrol stations.”

Good luck with that!

I have made contact with JOLT and will also make contact with other private companies to see what their plans are.

It’s such a shame that many people will miss out on seeing (what I consider) some of the most beautiful areas of SA, perhaps due to range anxiety like the visitors I met at Christie’s.

Any other suggestions on how I can help are more than welcomed, I work full time but am passionate about sharing the south with visitors.

Quote-

At Council’s Strategic Directions Committee meeting held on 6 June 2023, a report was presented (item 7.1) and elected members adopted the Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure on Local Government Land policy. A presentation was also provided at the meeting and the meeting recording is available on our website.

Key considerations for the development of council’s policy position included:

• the level of need for council to permit EV charging infrastructure on local government land and roads, giving consideration to the role of private land,
  • the best way for council to support EV uptake,
  • opportunity costs and potential benefits of using local government land and roads for EV charging infrastructure, and
  • risks associated with allowing EV charging infrastructure on local government land and roads.
The policy is based upon a rigorous investigation into market trends, policies of other councils, expert advice, government policy and funding directions.

Our policy position is that, in general, council will not own and operate EV charging infrastructure for public use. Ideally, and in the first instance, demand for public EV charging infrastructure will be met by the private sector on private land. It is anticipated that EV charging infrastructure will become a service provided for by petrol stations.

Council will consider privately owned infrastructure on local government land and roads where a community or council benefit can be demonstrated i.e., if there is a recognised gap in the network that cannot be readily filled by infrastructure on private land - this is the approach taken with the RAA charging stations mentioned by the resident. One such example is the EV charging infrastructure at the Seaford Shopping Centre (?) where council facilitated approvals for the charging infrastructure. Approval for new locations and agreements with private charging infrastructure providers will be made at manager level.

Thank you.

Civic Governance Team

Reactions: Craig 128
I might just ask if there are any requirements for new or renovations of petrol stations to provide charging infrastructure if that is what is anticipated and can be influenced by council.
Wish me luck!

I might just ask if there are any requirements for new or renovations of petrol stations to provide charging infrastructure if that is what is anticipated and can be influenced by council.
Wish me luck!
Keep up the good fight!

I'm planning on a trip down to the Barossa and Mclaren Vale mid next year, so will be good to have some charging options!

Keep up the good fight!

I'm planning on a trip down to the Barossa and Mclaren Vale mid next year, so will be good to have some charging options!
Sing out if you do! At this rate i could probably look into getting an ABN, a mains power upgrade and running my own charging station haha.

Gawler council (up the other end of Metro Adelaide) were initially not very obliging with Teslas request previously (as per the previous posts) and they seemed to be wanting to put the onus on the Petrol Stations as well.
Many wineries in both regions put their own destination chargers in which will be relied upon heavily during tourist seasons (assuming people visit the region after looking at plugshare!)

If you look at plugshare, and even drive through other councils in metro Adelaide there is plenty of private charging companies operating (which is approved and promoted by those councils as green incentives) so its a bit odd that there is a hole in a specific council. Reading posts here about what is happening in the rest of Australia has also been insightful.

I have also asked if the "rigorous investigation into market trends, policies of other councils, expert advice, government policy and funding directions." is available in the public domain.

I'm not trying to be a bother, and i don't gain any personal benefit from promoting EV infrastructure in our region as i will be charging at home, but i think it could be a good step towards a sustainable future, and also support our local businesses.

I am currently making contact with the private operators in SA to see what challenges and incentives they have while operating in different councils across Adelaide. Maybe there is no demand in one specific council boundary in SA which also has awesome beaches and wineries?

Reactions: Jules22
“It is anticipated that EV charging infrastructure will become a service provided for by petrol stations.”

When my local Council consulted on its EV strategy last year, one of the things it suggested was exactly that. In my submission, I pointed out that suburban petrol stations are often very unpleasant places to spend any time at - dirty, smelly, no amenity, and not near useful things that an EV driver could do while charging.

Who wants to sit in their car for 30 minutes watching other people fill up on dinosaur juice? Who wants to replicate the “service station experience“ as if that’s the right answer?

The mindset that because EVs are cars and there’s an existing place cars go to to refuel, so that’s where EV chargers should go, exemplifies the rigid thinking that infects this space. People who don’t drive EVs just don’t “get it”.

I think Evie is on the right track targeting suburban shopping centres instead. That makes a lot of sense to me (and something we have made extensive use of over the past 6 weeks with no garage).

Highway service centres are a different scenario, as there usually is amenity there and people often stop for 20-30 mins to grab a bite or have a short break. It makes sense and integrates with people’s existing routines.

EVs allow us to approach things completely differently, and so we should. But that seems beyond some people.

EVs allow us to approach things completely differently, and so we should. But that seems beyond some people.

Yep, perfect opportunity for forward thinking councils to help direct people to business areas where they'll have a captive audience with time on their hands for 15-20 minutes at least. Much more likely to spend some money than someone who is at a petrol station having to hold the nozzle while they fill up.

When my local Council consulted on its EV strategy last year, one of the things it suggested was exactly that. In my submission, I pointed out that suburban petrol stations are often very unpleasant places to spend any time at - dirty, smelly, no amenity, and not near useful things that an EV driver could do while charging.

Who wants to sit in their car for 30 minutes watching other people fill up on dinosaur juice? Who wants to replicate the “service station experience“ as if that’s the right answer?

The mindset that because EVs are cars and there’s an existing place cars go to to refuel, so that’s where EV chargers should go, exemplifies the rigid thinking that infects this space. People who don’t drive EVs just don’t “get it”.

I think Evie is on the right track targeting suburban shopping centres instead. That makes a lot of sense to me (and something we have made extensive use of over the past 6 weeks with no garage).

Highway service centres are a different scenario, as there usually is amenity there and people often stop for 20-30 mins to grab a bite or have a short break. It makes sense and integrates with people’s existing routines.

Well written , thank you very much.

Evie is on my list to contact and it will be interesting to hear their feedback as we have several large shopping centres in this council area which only one has been used as an example to allow a single RAA station with 2 CCS plugs (Seaford). This site construction is underway according to PlugShare, I’ll go for a drive and have a look to see how far along it is. The other RAA sites seem to be on private land (?) but would have had to have council building approval?

I might also contact our fantastic SA owned Drakes Supermarkets for comment also. There is a privately run charger installed in one of their car parks near Gawler.

The supercharger at Tailem Bend is a good example where being installed at a service station is fantastic. It is in a good location for both commuters and local residents, is spacious, has a huge service station with multiple food outlets and conveniences and is in the doorstep of a motorsports park. Unfortunately it is not exactly in close proximity to Adelaide to service ongoing charging while in the metro area.

I agree it’s a mindset that can be changed when people are open to it, it’s pre of a challenge if old school ways of thinking are entrenched.

The council might not be responsible for providing and running the EV charging infrastructure, I get it, (although if suitable power at kerbside parking like in the other thread was available, that might work, especially along the beach esplanades.) but how can they promote business to implement EV charging infrastructure other than saying it’s not beneficial to them, so it’s private industry or service stations problem?
The residents and local business owners who pay all kinds of subsidiaries to local government might appreciate initiatives which encourage tourism and visitors to their locations. It’s not the be all and end all, but it’s a start surely?
The direction you look is the direction you travel :)

Reactions: Vostok
DC fast chargers often require the proponent to pay for a fairly expensive power distribution upgrade, and to recover the cost of that they need to expect the site to be in place for a decent length of time. Councils are often better placed to offer 5 to 10 year leases on parking spots than private landholders. There's also an inherent coordination/free-rider problem - the benefits to trade from convenient charging in the locality are shared around all the businesses, but if one business has to provide the charging location then the costs are borne only by them.

Reactions: B3AU and dronus
Evie is on my list to contact and it will be interesting to hear their feedback as we have several large shopping centres in this council area which only one has been used as an example to allow a single RAA station with 2 CCS plugs (Seaford).

Quite a number of years ago EVie proposed a charger in Noarlunga.

At the time the list was:
  • Tailem Bend - Now Complete (Tailem Bend – HA002 - 8786 Princes Highway Tailem Bend 5260)
  • Noarlunga
  • Adelaide Hills - Now Complete (Adelaide Hills – HA001, 399 Mount Barker Rd Bridgewater 5155)
  • Bolivar - Now Complete (Paralowie Village Shopping Centre – HA005, 9 Liberator Dr Paralowie 5108)
Anyone notice anything missing?

Reactions: dronus
Evie is on my list to contact and it will be interesting to hear their feedback as we have several large shopping centres in this council area which only one has been used as an example to allow a single RAA station with 2 CCS plugs (Seaford). This site construction is underway according to PlugShare, I’ll go for a drive and have a look to see how far along it is.
The other RAA sites seem to be on private land (?) but would have had to have council building approval?

This was posted earlier in the thread, it may vary from state to state, but a DA isn’t always required so you may see a charger appear without needing to apply for approval.

Most EV charger installs do not require a DA. If they are adding additional car spaces it may trigger a DA and if they are adding solar I think it might also trigger a DA.

A handful of RAA sites are on council land (eg, Streaky Bay), and the RAA ‘licence’ it from council.
From SBDC’s council agenda and meetings, there’s some background info
See from page 300 at https://www.streakybay.sa.gov.au/__...ncil-2023-06-20-Agenda-reduced-committees.pdf

The formalisation for the approval process with the RAA involves Council as the licensor signing an agreement with RAA Innovation Pty Ltd to become a licensee of the area. Council Officers have
identified that the area suggested is Crown Land dedicated to Council and Council as such has sought approval from Crown Land for the licencing of the charging station location. This location allows the charging station to be connected directly into the high voltage transformer located between the Kiosk and School Carparks.

The Licence Agreement provides RAA;
- an exclusive use 24 hours a day 7 days a week to use the site for the purpose of EV Charging
- undertake any required works
- provision to renew agreement for another term
- public liability of $20 million
- provision for security camera installation
- installation of a market facing metre with NMI and pay all electricity costs

The Licence Agreement provides that Council will;
- keep the area free from litter and rubbish
- notify if more than half of the carparking area is ever restricted
- notify if intending to install an EV charger near this location
The term of the agreement is to expire on 31 May 2029, with the option of 2 x additional 5-year terms (upon mutual agreement).

The RAA representatives require the agreement to be signed by June 30, 2023, to ensure that the project can be included in the current round of roll outs.
The agreement between RAA & Council is from pages 305-321

Last edited:
Reactions: dronus
Quite a number of years ago EVie proposed a charger in Noarlunga.

At the time the list was:
  • Tailem Bend - Now Complete (Tailem Bend – HA002 - 8786 Princes Highway Tailem Bend 5260)
  • Noarlunga
  • Adelaide Hills - Now Complete (Adelaide Hills – HA001, 399 Mount Barker Rd Bridgewater 5155)
  • Bolivar - Now Complete (Paralowie Village Shopping Centre – HA005, 9 Liberator Dr Paralowie 5108)
Anyone notice anything missing?
It would be interesting to know where in Noarlunga the site was proposed, and whether it was council or private land. As we know the Council offices are in Noarlunga centre in the same vicinity. Aside from the shopping centre itself there are other big box shops nearby (Bunnings, officeworks, Harvery Norman, Car parts stores etc) and so many more over at Seaman drive, all within walking distance.

Heaps better than parking at a service station (if they ever install EV Charging) breathing in the fumes.

There is plenty of carparking at collonnades which is under utilised and could easily host any number of vendors. Being free parking next to a huge shopping centre and close to the beach etc would attract travellers to the area.

I noticed the AMPOL service station near the round about on the corner of Dyson road and Goldsmith Road (opposite MV2) recently had a bunch of works done, but no obvious EV charging, although there is enough land there to have a couple of bays. Other new OTR approved also do not have any EV charging. Are the service stations which fulfil the vision of proposed future EV charging "encouraged" to provide such EV charging facilities, or is that not required?