Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SAE J1772 DC (Combo) Connector Adapter for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Knock yourself out. But I have yet to hear ANYONE honestly say they want/need a CCS adapter. There just aren't enough stations.
Indeed, considering there are 0 CCS/SAE Combo stations in ahimberg's state of WA but yet plenty of CHAdeMO along highways in OR and WA:

West Coast Green Highway: Washington's Electric Highways
West Coast Green Highway: West Coast Electric Highway
http://www.westcoastgreenhighway.com/pdfs/WCEH_map.pdf
http://www.westcoastgreenhighway.com/pdfs/WA_OR_EVMap.pdf

I had looked and saw that WA didn't have any, but OR & CA have a fair amount now.

The appeal would be if
>> chademo locations become combo with CCS,
>> the CCS tesla adapter is much cheaper/smaller than the chademo (the current adapter is huge, and expensive, a CCS adapter if mechanical plus software support, should be relatively small and cheap)

really once Tesla has a CCS adapter it should come with the car just like the J1772 ac adapter.

I should be able to carry around adapters for all situations and not need to worry about type of charger, just that there is one at a destination. Personally I've got most - don't have a 6-50 (waited to long before they went away) or a roadster->S, the 6-50 I could have used once and ended up haaving to charge on a standard outlet instead

I had looked and saw that WA didn't have any, but OR & CA have a fair amount now.
Outside of those two states (and there are HUGE holes in OR and CA), there's very little of J1772 CCS in most of the US.

The appeal would be if
>> chademo locations become combo with CCS,
In California, NRG eVgo is installing "Freedom Stations" that typically have 1 CHAdeMO DC FC + a dual-standard DC FC, due to the California settlement (SAE vs CHAdeMO - Page 33).

>> the CCS tesla adapter is much cheaper/smaller than the chademo (the current adapter is huge, and expensive, a CCS adapter if mechanical plus software support, should be relatively small and cheap)
It's only cheap if there's sufficient demand to amortize the R&D, tooling and manufacturing costs. Tesla Gear Shop CHAdeMO Adapter is currently $450.

Would you be willing to pay rates like these to charge esp. given that there are free (as long as you paid for it) Superchargers in OR and CA?
San Francisco Bay Area - eVgo
Los Angeles Basin Plan - NRG eVgo

I'm presuming R&D on CCS should be a lot less than chademo given statements from a long time ago that the the tesla connector and sae DC are very close, just like the tesla connector and sae AC is possible with a small cheap adapter. We'll see, if CCS takes off and a market exists we'll probably see an adapter -- a little surprised Tesla hasn't already done it to put more weight against chademo even if they do have their own connector.

Superchargers are good for long distance travel when you stick to interstates, but not charging in your destination city or most state highways...
when I've driven to Portland, western & eastern washington, I'm not staying near a tesla supercharger but I have been near other DC charging options. (just got my chademo adapter, will make WA travel much easier)

I'm not against paying for charging if its going to dramatically make things more convenient. I haven't seen any other manufacturers adopting Tesla's connector so I think we will see more CCS coming when more vehicles are out there and the Leaf no longer has majority marketshare with one model.

Superchargers are good for long distance travel when you stick to interstates, but not charging in your destination city or most state highways...
when I've driven to Portland, western & eastern washington, I'm not staying near a tesla supercharger but I have been near other DC charging options. (just got my chademo adapter, will make WA travel much easier)
How many of those DC charging options were CCS? How many those had CCS but NO CHAdeMO at the same location?
I haven't seen any other manufacturers adopting Tesla's connector so I think we will see more CCS coming when more vehicles are out there and the Leaf no longer has majority marketshare with one model.
See numbers at Chevy Spark EV Forum View topic - DC fast charging: J1772 CCS vs CHAdeMO vs Supercharger, etc..

Last edited:
Even in California where there is starting to be a reasonable number of SAE Combo chargers, they are all co-located with CHAdeMO except at BMW stores - and those are only 25kW.

I was poking around Plugshare and discovered that some of the newer NRG Freedom stations don't have any Nissan CHAdeMO units, but have two dual standard ABB units. I was surprised - a fully redundant installation for both CCS and CHAdeMO. I didn't think that would happen this early in their deployments.

Edit: Now I can't find that site that has the pair of ABB's. I know I wasn't imagining it....

Last edited:
I think Tesla will do the European CCS adapter first. There are already people calling for a CCS adapter there. CCS is mandated by the EU as the bare minimum DC charging connector (there was some talk about Germany possibly mandating even superchargers to offer a CCS connector). Once the European CCS adapter happens, I think it'll only be natural for the US market to get the equivalent adapter (only the AC socket is different from the European version, and Tesla already has parts for that from the standard J1772-AC adapter).

There's already 856 CCS stations in Europe vs 1659 CHAdeMO.
http://ccs-map.eu/

US doesn't really push CCS as strongly, but I think dual standard installations will also become the norm pretty soon (already is starting to do so in CARB-ZEV states).

In that case, if the CCS adapter really is a simple mechanical adapter like the J1772-AC, I can see that having a lot more appeal as a solution to non-Tesla DC stations (might even be cheap enough to include with the car). Why use a large bulky $450 CHAdeMO adapter, when a far simpler one will accomplish exactly the same function?

I think Tesla will do the European CCS adapter first. There are already people calling for a CCS adapter there. CCS is mandated by the EU as the bare minimum DC charging connector (there was some talk about Germany possibly mandating even superchargers to offer a CCS connector). Once the European CCS adapter happens, I think it'll only be natural for the US market to get the equivalent adapter (only the AC socket is different from the European version, and Tesla already has parts for that from the standard J1772-AC adapter).

There's already 856 CCS stations in Europe vs 1659 CHAdeMO.
http://ccs-map.eu/

US doesn't really push CCS as strongly, but I think dual standard installations will also become the norm pretty soon (already is starting to do so in CARB-ZEV states).

In that case, if the CCS adapter really is a simple mechanical adapter like the J1772-AC, I can see that having a lot more appeal as a solution to non-Tesla DC stations (might even be cheap enough to include with the car). Why use a large bulky $450 CHAdeMO adapter, when a far simpler one will accomplish exactly the same function?
I would really like to see Model 3 (or Model X) to have a native CCS port. I don't like adapters...

I made a topic about this: CCS Charging options for Model 3

I'm presuming R&D on CCS should be a lot less than chademo given statements from a long time ago that the the tesla connector and sae DC are very close, just like the tesla connector and sae AC is possible with a small cheap adapter. We'll see, if CCS takes off and a market exists we'll probably see an adapter -- a little surprised Tesla hasn't already done it to put more weight against chademo even if they do have their own connector.

Unfortunately, those statements have turned out to be false (or at least misleading). The info available (see the Supercharger reverse engineering thread) suggests that a CCS adapter would be of comparable complexity to the CHAdeMO one - possibly harder, given that CCS puts the electro-mechanical lock on the car (and hence adapter) side rather than being in the connector attached to the cable.

So from this thread there no CCS SAE Combo adapter for Tesla huh?

In Southern California, there usually have both Chademo and cCS SAE Combo at the same time. This adapter would be useful if the Chademo is being used, one could connect up to the CCS SAE Combo.

Thete not too many places offering more than one station of Chademo. Which a bit sucks. Would be awesome if they are like Tesla Super Charget where they are in multiples, like 4-8 stations at a time.

I've gone so a few places where after an hour of waiting, car never moved and there only one station

In Southern California, there usually have both Chademo and cCS SAE Combo at the same time. This adapter would be useful if the Chademo is being used, one could connect up to the CCS SAE Combo.

Thete not too many places offering more than one station of Chademo. Which a bit sucks. Would be awesome if they are like Tesla Super Charget where they are in multiples, like 4-8 stations at a time.

I've gone so a few places where after an hour of waiting, car never moved and there only one station

Yes, that's why Superchargers are so awesome. Also, I suspect those combo chargers can't actually have both the Chademo and CCS port operating at the same time, so no big loss. I very much doubt Tesla will support CCS - there just aren't enough CCS stations around.

Yes, that's why Superchargers are so awesome. Also, I suspect those combo chargers can't actually have both the Chademo and CCS port operating at the same time, so no big loss. I very much doubt Tesla will support CCS - there just aren't enough CCS stations around.
a) If the chademo charger was done charging then the CCS would certainly work so it is a big loss (Re: so no big loss)
b) It seems that "all" installation in the past year have been dual chademo and CCS (Re: aren't enough). As well they are growing fast in Europe ... they sell Tesla's outside of the USA too, right? CCS/Combo Charge Map - Europe

I would buy both chademo and a ccs charger. I never want to be stuck somewhere longer than I have to or stuck on the road while trying to go find another charger AND waste even more time. Especially when traveling with family or friends. Hope that makes sense.

Would be awesome one we have more super charger location, so tesla can rely less on Chademo stations.

Second, these super chargers can give status of availability or in use. This would save tons of time going around looking for charging spot only to find ppl leaving their car there charging for hours taking up spaces.

@oba, really? Do I really have to qualify my statement to say that in a single car specimen, only one car supports more than one DC charging standard? A North American BMW i3 that supports CCS is useless when trying to use a Chademo station. Sheesh.

Most of the NRG eVgo stations have one dedicated CHAdeMO Nissan charger plus one ABB Dual CHAdeMO/SAE Combo charger. The ABB can only charge one car at a time, but the Nissan charger is completely independent. There is one station in Northern California I know of that has two ABB Dual standard chargers. So, I don't think you're missing out on anything having only a CHAdeMO adapter. After all, no matter which charger opens up first, you can use it. Pity the i3, e-Golf, and Spark EV users that have to wait for the ABB unit to open up.

Nice. My first usage of Chademo
595b515f2151edf282e3f24a545f0a0e.jpg
128ffc96d457d76d152b2e848f0526e1.jpg
da7694fe1ba910835c33e1283b66da67.jpg