Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safe SF Parking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SF has turned into a homeless hell hole.
Everywhere you look you will see broken glass next to the curb, from where a smash and grab tool place.
Anywhere that tourist go, the activists move in to grab what they can.

The truth is that San Francisco is now a cesspool and you are wise to avoid it like the plague.
See the link to the infamous poop map ... a once proud City by the Bay :cool: (Human) Wasteland

poop.png

I road tripped from Vancouver BC down to San Francisco and LA this recent February. I stayed at the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf - they did not have EV charging at their valet parking facility so I parked at Pier 39 Public Parking (PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You).
Not cheap - $50/day maximum - but they have a free dual-head ChargePoint.

Stayed there for 4 days in total and had no issue getting a charging spot overnight and no issue with break-ins. The whole area is still somewhat sketchy at night but it seemed like there was security on site, even when I arrived at 4am the first night.

Smash+grab thieves work in teams. They are not the homeless who are also the carless and for the most part the motivationless. They are a problem but they are a different problem.

You might consider leaving the car at airport parking... and uber into the city.
Yep. I don't live in SF, but I tend to agree. Or leave it at a hotel near SFO where the lot looks well-staffed.

Car Break-Ins Hit ‘Epidemic’ Levels in San Francisco for the OP might prove insightful.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Yep. I don't live in SF, but I tend to agree. Or leave it at a hotel near SFO where the lot looks well-staffed.

Car Break-Ins Hit ‘Epidemic’ Levels in San Francisco for the OP might prove insightful.

Sad, but true... :cool:

An NBC Bay Area hidden-camera investigation provides a rare glimpse into a rising surge of criminal activity across San Francisco that continues to prey on the city's most famed landmarks and popular tourist destinations. San Francisco's nearly 30,000 car break-ins last year shattered previous crime records and illustrate an organized and elaborate crime operation that law enforcement calls an "epidemic."

Of the nearly 30,000 car break-ins in San Francisco last year, the police department made arrests in just 1.7 percent of cases, totalling 790 arrests, according to data provided by the police department and district attorney’s office. Of those taken into custody, most were never sentenced to jail time.

upload_2018-5-26_9-59-14.png

San Francisco Car Break-ins Crime Map

upload_2018-5-26_9-55-9.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
A couple of months ago was the first time I've been in San Francisco in years. I needed to go to Westfield Shopping Center. I just assumed they had a parking garage under it so it took another 30 minutes before I even parked near there. Guiding the streets with a car in that neighborhood with all the people walking around during lunchtime is a nightmare.

As I approached the entrance to my destination, a homeless woman approaches another entrance door and proceeds to walk in while wearing a sleeping bag only. She was adjusting it before entering going full monty. I did not go in the same door but the stench she left behind could only be described as Pigpen from Peanuts if you could visually see it.

A couple of months ago was the first time I've been in San Francisco in years. I needed to go to Westfield Shopping Center. I just assumed they had a parking garage under it so it took another 30 minutes before I even parked near there. Guiding the streets with a car in that neighborhood with all the people walking around during lunchtime is a nightmare.

As I approached the entrance to my destination, a homeless woman approaches another entrance door and proceeds to walk in while wearing a sleeping bag only. She was adjusting it before entering going full monty. I did not go in the same door but the stench she left behind could only be described as Pigpen from Peanuts if you could visually see it.
"Homelessness in America has reached crisis levels and I am determined to do everything in my power to fix the problem as long as it doesn’t involve changing zoning laws or my ability to drive alone to work or, well, changing anything, really. I’m more than happy to give a hungry man a sandwich once a year and then brag to my friends about it as long as he doesn’t sit down anywhere in my line of sight to eat it. Same goes for hungry women because I’m also a feminist."

"This is so important because everyone should have a bed to sleep in at night and also nothing destroys property values faster than a desperate person on a sidewalk asking for change. I’m not saying I don’t care about human suffering, I just care much, much more about my immediate self-interest because I’m the kind of person who contributes to society by starting companies that leverage technology to build smart tea kettles that brew themselves while you sleep at night. I’m a ****ing innovator."

More here:
I Will Do Anything to End Homelessness Except Build More Homes

I have to wonder about people that want unlimited immigration knowing full well they will take the entry level jobs most homeless can do.
I'm don't think many people want unlimited immigration, just a reasonable process with reasonable numbers.

I'm not sure what the homeless are like in San Fransisco, but the most of the homeless I've come across in San Diego are either mentally ill or heavy drug users, and are not really going to be competing with immigrants (or anyone else) for jobs.

Moderator note: the discussion in this thread should be focused on safe parking options in SF, i.e. specific places where you think it is safe to park. The discussion is diverging into the topics of homelessness and crime in general, which is better done in the Off Topic forum. Yes, the two are intertwined to some degree. I am only pointing out that this thread may be moved to Off Topic.

To continue the discussion of safe parking options in SF, my experience is that at night it is advisable to use a parking structure and not park on the street. Late last year, at 7PM I parked on Martin Luther King Dr very near the intersection with Music Concourse Dr in Golden Gate Park. I was going to an evening lecture at the California Academy of Sciences. On returning to my Model X at 8:45PM I found that a rear side window had been smashed. Nothing was taken from the car (there was nothing visible from that window) and the car was not entered.

Since that incident I have continued to attend evening lectures at the Academy but have chosen to park in the St Mary’s Medical Center parking structure about a mile away. It makes for a nice walk before and after the lectures.

The underground parking below the Music Concourse, between the DeYoung Museim and the Academy of Sciences, is not open in the evening, unfortunately.

Since that incident I have continued to attend evening lectures at the Academy but have chosen to park in the St Mary’s Medical Center parking structure about a mile away. It makes for a nice walk before and after the lectures.
That's a bit out of the way to get safer parking. Maybe you should invest in some small electric transport to get to the last mile literally.

Reactions: FlatSix911