Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safe to tint windshield yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the side panel I removed. Pop it from the top and tilt out:
panel.jpg

Maybe I'm overthinking but I am wondering if the tag circled in purple could be the "fix." I first thought it to be just a serial number for the harness but it is tightly attached at the top and has a flag that is pulled out and to the left. This would direct any water dripping down the wire to the side. Anyone with earlier models take a peek behind this panel? If so, do you have this same tag?
connector2.jpg

But I have first hand evidence that it does nothing bad if done properly.
No, you have evidence that damage does not occur every time.
Remember the fools who would trot out the 90 year olds that had smoked for years ?
You are engaging in the same faulty reasoning.

Read the posts of the tint shop from Torrance above .. with a critical eye. He says (I paraphrase) that his shop will pay for damages if they caused them or the cause is uncertain. That is better than my shop but it is actually worthless since he can simply decide (without any proof, naturally) that his work is not the cause of damages*. And, in fact, in one post earlier he was honest enough to say exactly that: that if the electronics go belly up after he tints then he guesses that the electronics were crap and the tint was simply co-incidental.

* The Torrance installer:
.the component Tesla is claiming gets damaged is fully encased, my guess was faulty part.

Last edited:
If they did trash a car they'd be liable, so they aren't likely to take their chances after a costly failure like that.
You did not answer my question, but I'll answer your comment in a moment ...
Say they have tinted FIFTY model 3 cars. The installer is happy as a clam and tells you that they are god's gift to hot cars. Can you calculate the 0.01 p value for a risk less than 1:100 of trashing the car ? I'll guess not but ... surprise me.

About your comment:
Read your contract. The one I was asked to sign said that the installer is not liable for damages that occur during the tint installation. I presume the installer would be sued anyway, which is why my installer refused to tint my windshield.

Dang, interesting information. Got my M3 in August, had my 70/50 3M Crystalline done in September by a quality shop in Redmond, WA. Metropolitan Detail. They had 3-4 Tesla's in the shop having detail work done so I assume they know what the are doing and took proper precautions. The Tesla is driven primarily by my wife during her weekly commute and she felt that there was way too much glare in the car. Even though we live in the Washington State. Pretty sunny in August though. I think the tint is an improvement, no ill effects from the tint. But glad the forum is here to keep us informed. Thanks all for this great information.

Reactions: SigNC
No, you have evidence that damage does not occur every time.
Remember the fools who would trot out the 90 year olds that had smoked for years ?
You are engaging in the same faulty reasoning.

Read the posts of the tint shop from Torrance above .. with a critical eye. He says (I paraphrase) that his shop will pay for damages if they caused them or the cause is uncertain. That is better than my shop but it is actually worthless since he can simply decide (without any proof, naturally) that his work is not the cause of damages*. And, in fact, in one post earlier he was honest enough to say exactly that: that if the electronics go belly up after he tints then he guesses that the electronics were crap and the tint was simply co-incidental.

* The Torrance installer:

The difference is I have tinted over 350 windshields on the Model 3s without an incident. Safe to say that's 100% non-issue. Not sure what the tobacco industry has to do with it. Wow!! You have spun what I said better than Sarah or Don could ever do. Let me clarify our policy/stance.

If something is broken/damaged while in our shop we fix it, with no argument. So if we tint a windshield, and it's determined water from the tint caused an issue, we would pay to have it fixed. If a Unicorn came in and threw a Leprechaun at a car and damaged it in our shop, we would fix it too, but we don't have a written policy for it.......we just fly by the seat of our pants out here in California.

Got mine done by Cactus Tint in Scottsdale. No issues - they did a great job. They have done hundreds of Model 3's and have not yet had any issues.
I went with 3M CP70 on the windshield and Spectra PhotoSync SPH45 everywhere else. Behind mine, you can see another with SPH35. I like the SPH35 look but decided to go a shade up for nighttime visibility. I chose the Spectra because 3m had a brown tinge and I thought Spectra Photosync color went better with white.
TTTT.jpg

Reactions: follow.johnny