TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Safety Feature?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by AC1K, Jul 30, 2013.

1. AC1K

AC1K Member

So i needed to move my car slightly farther away from my house wall inside my garage to modify my license plate bulbs,
    i opened the driver door and left it open, put the car in N and let the car roll slightly, but all of a sudden the car went back into park.

basically the car will not let you roll in N with the door open, it will auto engage the parking brake.

my garage is a slight incline so the car will naturally roll out to the drive way.

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Did you lift your butt off the seat all all while doing this? The brake will set if it thinks you've gotten out of the car. I roll the car in neutral with the door open from time to time and the only issue I have is the incessant "nanny" alarm (similar to the alarm when you press both pedals at the same time).

3. AC1K

AC1K Member

nope i was sitting on the seat, but 1 leg was out the door, ill try without sitting in the seat when i get home.

4. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I think your weight might have shifted just enough that it thought you got out... I've been able to roll with the door open before.