Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SAFETY ISSUE: Cruise Control Problem and Workaround

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not everyone may have this problem, but it is clearly a safety issue! After installation of a recent update to v. 2018.42.2, I found that if I were driving in a 40mph zone and set the cruise control at 40mph, cruise control would automatically add 10mph and set my speed at 50mph. The same result was noted when I set cruise control or autopilot on the freeway to 65mp, i.e. cruise control or autopilot would automatically add 10mph. I reported this to Tesla on several occasions, and even though they reviewed my relevant logs, but I was advised that there had been no reported incidents or workarounds regarding this problem. Thereafter, I determined that the problem was with the speed setting in the autopilot control wherein there is the option to warn you by display, chime or off that you are exceeding the posted speed limit. In this setting there is another option to increase the warning speed allowed by "0-whatever" mph, and mine was set at "10mph". Even with this setting at "Off" cruise control was adding 10mph. The workaround was to set the additional speed allowed to "0", and now my cruise control works fine whether the warning was set to display or chime. Hopefully I will be able to use this control properly when/if Tesla provides a software update to correct this bug.

• Disagree
Reactions: kgroschi and jlv1
That offset is supposed to be for Speed Limit Warning. I don't think it should be applying to setting CC speed, but it does. I've used that workaround as well. Set the offset for speed limit warning to 0 before turning it off, since at 0 it's useless being on anyways.

Starting the cruise control react differently depending on whether it is the initial time during that drive that you have used it or not.

If you have not used the cruise control in the current driving session and pull the lever toward you, it will set the cruising speed at the speed limit PLUS the offset you have set. If you HAVE previously set the cruise control in the current driving session, then pulling the lever toward you will resume that setting.

If you want to set the cruise speed at your current speed, move the lever up or down rather than pulling it toward you. This will work whether you have previously set the speed or not, and will ignore speed limits and offsets.

Reactions: Jashev