Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety measures from people stealing battery & other components

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I've heard from my neighbors that there are people around my area stealing "parts" of electric vehicles.
For reference, I park in my house, behind a gate, but no garage.

Last night, when I parked, the gate was open and about to close. I saw a guy in a car who noticed the open gate, and then pulled the reverse to check.
As soon as he noticed me, he continued going forward, but then he went around the house to check again.

I've called the police to let them know.

So my question is: what's the best safety measure in this situation?

I will leave of course sentry mode on, but I'm curious to know if there is a way for ill-intentioned people to steal components without triggering the alarm.
I suspect, if they unplug the 12V battery when sentry mode is on, alarm should trigger, right?

Is there something that I'm missing, or maybe, what would you do in this situation?

Thanks a lot for your time!

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Solution
Suggest high definition motion-triggered cameras around your home set high enough to not easily be disabled but low enough to capture facial features. Set at least one camera such that it can see and record street traffic with sufficient clarity to read car trim badges and registration plates. Also, review your car insurance coverage to ensure it covers likely issues based on neighborhood. Then forget about it until and unless something happens.

Sentry is always an option as well but you have to be comfortable with the continuous battery drain and charging costs. Regardless, I’d still suggest everything in the above paragraph, even if you use Sentry, to capture a wider area with better resolution.

Alternatively, build a garage or...
Suggest high definition motion-triggered cameras around your home set high enough to not easily be disabled but low enough to capture facial features. Set at least one camera such that it can see and record street traffic with sufficient clarity to read car trim badges and registration plates. Also, review your car insurance coverage to ensure it covers likely issues based on neighborhood. Then forget about it until and unless something happens.

Sentry is always an option as well but you have to be comfortable with the continuous battery drain and charging costs. Regardless, I’d still suggest everything in the above paragraph, even if you use Sentry, to capture a wider area with better resolution.

Alternatively, build a garage or move to another home with one.

Upvote 0
Solution
How odd, seems so specific. You'd think thieves would go for low-hanging fruit, like catalytic converters or wheels/tires. Why would they target EVs? What could they remove, that is easy, and worth something on the resale market? How easy is it to remove your lights? Your mobile charger? Not sure there's anything else that seems removable.

Reactions: father_of_6
Upvote 0
There is nothing easily stolen specifically from an EV drivetrain. Even mobile charging infrastructure is vehicle-specific and not particularly lucrative on black market.

What your neighbor may have been confused about is EV charging infrastructure theft - that is, cords and connectors from DCFC charging stations. There have been a significant number of thefts (or outright vandalism) of these recently, putatively due to copper prices or anti-EV sentiments.

Upvote 0
I've heard from my neighbors that there are people around my area stealing "parts" of electric vehicles.

That sounds like a practical joke.

Last night, when I parked, the gate was open and about to close. I saw a guy in a car who noticed the open gate, and then pulled the reverse to check.
As soon as he noticed me, he continued going forward, but then he went around the house to check again.
I've called the police to let them know.
[...]At this point I suspect that person was studying my movements/habits, as I don't see a way the car could be easily hijacked.

Any chance you are an attractive female?
And someone was admiring you, or your car?
Is that really illegal in your parts (I though it was a cultural tradition in Italy) enough to call police?!?!?

So my question is: what's the best safety measure in this situation?

Go home, open a bottle of wine, and relax.

I will leave of course sentry mode on, but I'm curious to know if there is a way for ill-intentioned people to steal components without triggering the alarm.
I suspect, if they unplug the 12V battery when sentry mode is on, alarm should trigger, right?

Does it matter?
If you have insurance, you will get fully compensated if your car is stolen.
Why worry over something that you are insured against? Sentry mode will just drain your battery, and if the car (or some parts off it) are stolen, it will not bring them back.
It's just a car that is easily replaceable, and (hopefully) fully insured!

Is there something that I'm missing, or maybe, what would you do in this situation?

Yeah - you are WAY overthinking this.
Or might be a bit paranoid.
Either way, time to chill!

HTH,
a

Upvote 0