Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety restraint system fault - Fixed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke too soon. Wife drove the car and it came back today. Same thing with my case. When I raise the seat almost all the way up, message dissapears. When I lower it an inch from the top-most position, message appears. Any chance you could share the pictures of what you did to fix yours? I tried booking a service appt at another service center and the quote is the same $600 and they are also saying not covered under SRS limited warranty.
It’s the same issue. I have attached pictures of the sensor. You can see that the connection was very loose and the wire completely separated after I removed the sensor.
I had to solder it back in place. Are you pretty handy DIY person? The repair requires a special tool to first remove the seat belt. You will need to completely power your car off.
Let me know if you are ready to proceed.

Attachments

• IMG_7398.jpeg
    IMG_7398.jpeg
    724.2 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_7395.jpeg
    IMG_7395.jpeg
    457.2 KB · Views: 261
Reactions: cdub715 and sweet8
It’s the same issue. I have attached pictures of the sensor. You can see that the connection was very loose and the wire completely separated after I removed the sensor.
I had to solder it back in place. Are you pretty handy DIY person? The repair requires a special tool to first remove the seat belt. You will need to completely power your car off.
Let me know if you are ready to proceed.
Yes I should be able to do it. I saw that plug as well. Will inspect it in more detail.

Yes I should be able to do it. I saw that plug as well. Will inspect it in more detail.
Before you proceed with inspecting the plug you should access the service menu and bring up alerts to see the detail on the error massage that you see. I have highlighted the detail I saw in the service menu. If you get the exact massage then it’s definitely the same sensor/plug.
Use Google to access the service menu if you don’t know how to access it.

Attachments

• IMG_8176.jpeg
    IMG_8176.jpeg
    784.9 KB · Views: 300
Reactions: sweet8
Before you proceed with inspecting the plug you should access the service menu and bring up alerts to see the detail on the error massage that you see. I have highlighted the detail I saw in the service menu. If you get the exact massage then it’s definitely the same sensor/plug.
Use Google to access the service menu if you don’t know how to access it.
Exact same message I’m seeing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    644.2 KB · Views: 286
Looks like one of the wires is indeed not on great shape. Suggestions on how to fix?
Are you good with soldering?
Here are the high level steps.
1- Remove the seat belt first. There is a special tool that you can buy on eBay which is needed to remove seat belt.
2- Remove the side trim plastic piece on the left side of the seat. You can access Tesla Service manual online. It provides demonstrations on how to remove the piece.
3- Power down the car completely. Both the 12v and high voltage batteries.
4- solder the connection, reinstall it and power the car back on.

1- Remove the seat belt first. There is a special tool that you can buy on eBay which is needed to remove seat belt.
2- Remove the side trim plastic piece on the left side of the seat. You can access Tesla Service manual online. It provides demonstrations on how to remove the piece.
Never soldered before. Is there a way for me to just unplug the thing the wires are going into and open it up? Can i repair in place?

How is the car powered down completely? How is the plug piece opened up and wires accessible? Thanks for all your help!

Would these parts work?

Never soldered before. Is there a way for me to just unplug the thing the wires are going into and open it up? Can i repair in place?

How is the car powered down completely? How is the plug piece opened up and wires accessible? Thanks for all your help!
That’s pretty much what you need to do. Unplug the connector/sensor and open it up. Once you unplug it, you will need a flat head screwdriver to remove the top plastic trim on the connector to expose the wires completely.
Attached a couple other pictures that I took with top trim removed.
You can try to repair it without soldering if you like. One other possibility is to purchase used wire harness from eBay and replace the connector. i don’t know if that would work though because of increased resistance in the connections.

Attachments

• IMG_7392.jpeg
    IMG_7392.jpeg
    589 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_7399.jpeg
    IMG_7399.jpeg
    634.5 KB · Views: 235
That’s pretty much what you need to do. Unplug the connector/sensor and open it up. Once you unplug it, you will need a flat head screwdriver to remove the top plastic trim on the connector to expose the wires completely.
Attached a couple other pictures that I took with top trim removed.
You can try to repair it without soldering if you like. One other possibility is to purchase used wire harness from eBay and replace the connector. i don’t know if that would work though because of increased resistance in the connections.
How do you unplug it? No matter how much I pull it won’t release?

I don’t think you pull the plug directly. If I remember you need to pull the Orange piece out to unlock it and than pull.
Yep that’s what it was. I also was able to get it out without removing the seat belt and the side panel. Both wires were barely hanging on so I cut both, re-striped, and soldered. I wrapped each side in electrical tape after this picture so they couldn’t touch since I couldn’t slide the black thing overtop due to the solder. Gonna return the seat belt removal tool. Also found a $6 soldering iron at Walmart that I used. So I fixed this for $6. Much better than the $600 Tesla wanted! Thanks for your help so much!

Attachments

• IMG_4301.jpeg
    IMG_4301.jpeg
    276.7 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_4302.jpeg
    IMG_4302.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 257
Yep that’s what it was. I also was able to get it out without removing the seat belt and the side panel. Both wires were barely hanging on so I cut both, re-striped, and soldered. I wrapped each side in electrical tape after this picture so they couldn’t touch since I couldn’t slide the black thing overtop due to the solder. Gonna return the seat belt removal tool. Also found a $6 soldering iron at Walmart that I used. So I fixed this for $6. Much better than the $600 Tesla wanted! Thanks for your help so much!
Your welcome. I also had to use electrical tape coz the black thing wouldn’t go back. I kept the seatbelt tool just in case I have to remove the seatbelt for something else in future.
You should probably restrict the seat movement to make sure it doesn’t get to the most top, forward or backwards position. The connection may break again because the wires going into that plug are shorter and cannot accommodate the highest seat settings. I wonder if Tesla fixed this issue in newer models.

I just got this error today. I took a nap in the front passenger seat during lunch break and extended the back rest all the way down. Got the error immediately when I started the car. I figure it's a quality issue in how they place the sensors together. Thanks for this tread I have something to investigate.

Reactions: championwaqas