Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety score broken

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So did some more digging and found out that FCW (the biggest factor dinging my score) is set to "Medium" for the Safety Score regardless of driver setting. I had it on Late, switched it to Medium now to see what kind of behavior is setting it off. So far it loves to ding a lot when approaching and offramp that is backed up (almost everything is like that in rush hour Houston). Trying to break even earlier and softer for it now to see if there's an improvement. At least now I can relate to what FCW it refers to (if any) in the Safety Score when I review my daily trips.

Add me to the list of those getting dinged for phantom FCW. I have Tesla Insurance, so the random FCW I get dinged for affect my monthly premium. Doesn’t happen to me often, but was dinged yesterday during a 13 mile trip in which in reality there was no actual event that took place during the trip that should’ve triggered it. It’s pretty frustrating when you’re trying to drive like grandma to keep your safety score as high as possible and still somehow get dinged for something that never happened. And wouldn’t it stand to reason that if there really was an actual FCW there should also be a Hard Braking event during that trip as well? A quick Tesla fix for this would be if the latter isn’t dinged, the former should be considered a false positive and reset to 0.

Well, I ended up disabling FCW entirely, Safety Score be damned I say. As long as it stays below my monthly budget for insurance I have decided to not care or look at it. Has made driving infinitely more enjoyable and relaxing.

Funnily, after fretting all March and having it drop, April turned out great after my fix and its back up :D

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
Add me to the list of those getting dinged for phantom FCW. I have Tesla Insurance, so the random FCW I get dinged for affect my monthly premium. Doesn’t happen to me often, but was dinged yesterday during a 13 mile trip in which in reality there was no actual event that took place during the trip that should’ve triggered it. It’s pretty frustrating when you’re trying to drive like grandma to keep your safety score as high as possible and still somehow get dinged for something that never happened. And wouldn’t it stand to reason that if there really was an actual FCW there should also be a Hard Braking event during that trip as well? A quick Tesla fix for this would be if the latter isn’t dinged, the former should be considered a false positive and reset to 0.
Yes I also just got dinged with the phantom FCW and a rating of 101.9 avg for that section. Never had any close encounters, drove like a grandpa. Resulted in a huge drop in my safety score. Frustrating to say the least.

Well, I ended up disabling FCW entirely, Safety Score be damned I say. As long as it stays below my monthly budget for insurance I have decided to not care or look at it. Has made driving infinitely more enjoyable and relaxing.

Funnily, after fretting all March and having it drop, April turned out great after my fix and its back up :D
You still get FCW scoring factored into your safety score right? Cause I just disabled mine too, the FCW was so inaccurate and the beep gave me so much anxiety. Would be a funny loophole if turning off the notification beep disabled it as a scoring factor too lol.

You still get FCW scoring factored into your safety score right? Cause I just disabled mine too, the FCW was so inaccurate and the beep gave me so much anxiety. Would be a funny loophole if turning off the notification beep disabled it as a scoring factor too lol.

Yes, if you look at the Safety Score by Daily Trip you can still see the FCW dings. I did it just to aleviate the anxiety, at 92 now :D

I have a tight garage with a narrow entryway. I also have a few boxes and tools at the far end. Everytime I enter the garage, I get these FCW warnings as I gently approach these boxes. Also when I pull out, I get the dings/tones/warnings because of the tools and the narrow exit. I suspect all my FCWs are generated in my garage. It report 50 today, 100 the other day while I know I drove on empty roads to go to the gym early morning. I am ok with the "working as designed"...and appreciate all the sensors doing their job. I just don't Tesla should use that against me when I am pulling out or in of the garage at 0.0002 miles/hr.

I have a tight garage with a narrow entryway. I also have a few boxes and tools at the far end. Everytime I enter the garage, I get these FCW warnings as I gently approach these boxes. Also when I pull out, I get the dings/tones/warnings because of the tools and the narrow exit. I suspect all my FCWs are generated in my garage. It report 50 today, 100 the other day while I know I drove on empty roads to go to the gym early morning. I am ok with the "working as designed"...and appreciate all the sensors doing their job. I just don't Tesla should use that against me when I am pulling out or in of the garage at 0.0002 miles/hr.

They don't. But it is possible to get false FCW's while driving on seemingly clear roads.

View attachment 718246This forward collision metric is a joke .. 72 warnings on a 5 mile trip to work? Really? :) I must be a very bad driver..
on my last trip a car in front of me was making a right turn (with a very! Safe distance) and because of very safe distance there was absolutely no need to slow down, yet it decided to register a FCW..

On first occasion the car was on autopilot and hit the brakes so hard that I almost … myself , because another car in right lane slightly swerved towards my lane. And even though they claim that it does not count autopilot , my score went down from 98 to around 80 for failing every aspect except forced disengagement.

On every other occasion I did not have a single warning. And my setting is set to early prevention.

My aggressive turning is also yellow.. I have a lot of curved roads with speed limit 40 on my way to work and it seems to count them every single time.. unless I’ll be driving 35 like an idiot

This scoring system is getting on my nerves and turns my “used to enjoy” Tesla driving into some constant fear to somehow trip the fragile scoring system.. very very discouraging and destroys the whole pleasure and enjoyment of driving the Tesla ..
I know this person posted this a while ago but I agree whole heartedly. My driving is pretty good and I have a 92 score. This thing is supposed to prevent accidents not cause them. I have never been in an at fault accident in my 22 years of driving and have only been in 1 not at fault accident.

So I have 2 forward collision warnings in the last 2 days. First one happened at a McDonald’s drive thru where the car thought the McDonalds building was a truck and started going crazy because I was driving towards it. The second one happened when 2 people were walking toward the way I was driving in the bike lane and as I drove past them the car started going crazy and hit me with a forward collision warning even though I was nowhere near them.

This car has me getting mad at people (people who were walking in the bike lane) and scared to drive it in fear that I will lose FSD which I paid lots of extra money for. The ride could be so enjoyable if not in constant fear that you will be dinged for stuff out of your control.